PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Syntax Olevia LCD's won't display 4:3 AR!

IVJG51_Animal
01-09-2006, 02:43 PM
In case you or someone you know is shopping for an large LCD, I would not recommend the Syntax Olevia LCD. While the picture and quality are impressive, this unit will not support 4:3 aspect ratio in the DVI or VGA mode (computer hook-up). It's sorta ridiculous, because in the other video modes, you simply use the on screen LCD menu to adjust the AR. The ramifications are that you can only fly the sim with a stretched screen. Practically, my deflection shooting has gone into the toilet.

I've tried to force the AR through my ATI Radeon 9800 vid card, with no help. The monitor refuses to give me black bars. If anyone has a fix, let me know before I box this one up, and send it back.

S!!
Animal

Wilburnator
01-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Open your video properties, go to settings, go to advanced and and click displays, then click the display your using. Make sure the button that says "Scale image to panel size" is unchecked. If all you want is to run in 4:3, that oughta do it.

You can also edit your configuration file to run in widescreen, without stretching. What it does is enlarge the entire image to fit your screen area, with a little bit of the image you'd normally see cropped off the top and bottom. I run in 16:10 aspect ratio, because those are the relative dimensions of my monitor. Here's what my edited config looks like...

[window]
width=1280
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=1
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

The width, height, and SaveAspect are the important parts. You enter the values that your monitor will support, then edit SaveAspect to be 0.

I hope this was helpful.

Salute

Wilburnator
01-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Please note that if you do run in 4:3 mode that the aspect ratio line in the config file should read "SaveAspect=1", and the width and height values should be the 4:3 resolution you chose in the game settings, i.e. 1024x768, 1600x1200, or whatever. I don't know what happens if you try to run a standard game resolution with SaveAspect=0, maybe nothing. But the default value is 1.

Salute

IVJG51_Animal
01-09-2006, 04:46 PM
I guess I should clarify:

1. I cannot get the video card to adjust the screen to give me the 4:3 aspect ratio. I have it set to a 4:3 resolution 1024X768. "Scale image to full panel size," is unchecked.

2. This isssue not only occurs in game, but on my windows destop and on all applications. Everyone in my pictures has gained 50 lbs!

3. I have my config file set the same, except the resolution is as above.

Since I cannot get the video card to give me an unstreched view on my desktop, the game settings are really irrelavent.

Animal

PS: Thanks for the help. I'm still open to suggestions

Wilburnator
01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Perhaps you could try power strip. My Radeon control panel allows me to choose the monitor's native resolution as a desktop res, but older driver's didn't let me. Your native resolution is a bit "wider" screen than mine, mine is 1280x768. If you aren't allowed that choice, maybe powerstip can help, I've heard that it lets you create custom resolutions.

As far as the game goes, you can use 1366x768 if you edit the config. Oleg allows it, lol. It crops top and bottom to fit to screen without stretching. It's not true widescreen support, but I like it better than the black bars. Here's what 1280x768 looks like. http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/wilburnator/1280x768wideview.jpg

Your picture would be cropped top and bottom slightly more.

IVJG51_Animal
01-09-2006, 06:09 PM
That's interesting. So, I could put 1366X768 in my config file, and the game would play at that resolution? Where would I have the resolution set in the game video options menu? Right now, I'm playing at 1024X768.

I had always been under the impression that this was a "cheat?"
Animal

WWSensei
01-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Why would it be a cheat? You scarifice some vertical view for better horizontal and it's something anyone can do if they have an LCD. It doesn't offer any advantage over anyone else, it's just a different way to view.

Would be like arguing that everyone should fly at 640x480x16 because some people don't want to fly at a higher rez...

VW-IceFire
01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by IVJG51_Animal:
That's interesting. So, I could put 1366X768 in my config file, and the game would play at that resolution? Where would I have the resolution set in the game video options menu? Right now, I'm playing at 1024X768.

I had always been under the impression that this was a "cheat?"
Animal
ITs in the config.ini file in the game directory. Don't mess about in the menu...only in the config.ini file if you want to do this.

IVJG51_Animal
01-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Sorry to infer that you are cheating, that was not my intent. I guess it has been an issue with Oleg, not to support this resolution as it would give a wider view. Hence, it's not in the video menu, and you sacrifice some vertical visibility when you force it in the config file. Thanks for all the help, it's going back into the box tomorrow. Stay away from Syntax!

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-09-2006, 08:25 PM
I have this TV/Monitor and I like it. Why are you trying to use 1024x768. That is not the monitors naitive resolution. You need to set your desktop to 1280x768. Most of the games out now will support that resolution. HL2 does for sure.

IL2 does not 'technically' support widescreen resolutions. But you can get it to display in a widescreen resolution. You just need to set your config correctly. YOU CANNOT DO THIS WITH il2setup.exe or from the ingame menu.

This is how to go about getting a Non-stretched view in IL2.

1. Make sure your desktop is set to 1280x768

2. Edit your config to this

[window]
width=1280 <----- desired resolution ( same as desktop )
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=0 <---- this needs to be set to 0 so that IL2 will not change from your desktop resolution
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=1
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0 <------ this must be 0 if not it will try to hold a 4:3 resolution
Use3Renders=0

Now, if you desire to play in 1024x768, just set that as the resolutions in the lines above. If you set it this way, you will have black bars on both sides of the monitor.

If you desire to play with no blackbars, you will need to set this to your DESKTOP resolution, in this case 1280x768. Now you will have an un-stretched image that fills your entire screen. THis is how i play and it looks great.

Hope you didnt take it back yet. Its a good monitor if you set it up correctly. And a good deal. I seen that this week, CompUSA has it for $499 ( 899 - 200 instant rebate - 200 mai in rebate). Last week they had it for $499 ( 899 - 400 instant rebate), I almost bought another one. When i bought mine it was 499 as well ( 799 - 100 mail-in - 200 mail-in ) This is one hell of a good deal for a 26 in monitor http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SPaRX

IVJG51_Animal
01-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks SPaRX,
These forums are great. It keeps a non-technical guy like me from boxing up a perfectly good display, and shipping it back.

I think I've finally figured it out. My native resolution on this 32 incher is 1280X1024. If I set the display to that resolution, it will stretch it to fit. So a circle looks like an oval on my desktop. When I cranked it down to 1280X720, my circles looked like circles. My desktop, windows problem is solved.

As far as the game goes, I set up the resolution in game to the 1280X720, and it runs perfectly with no black bars on the top or the bottom.

This has been frustrating, because on my brother's Sharp, you simply use the LCD on screen menu to switch between 4:3 with black bars, and 16:9 without. The bottom line, is that the Olevia is going to stretch your image to fit the entire screen, so you have to have the resolution just right.

Thanks again,
Animal

IVJG51_Animal
01-10-2006, 09:23 AM
I'M RETURNING IT, AGAIN!

The bottom line is that the Olevia (Syntax)will automatically stretch the screen, and not allow black bars when you try to view 4:3 AR in the VGA or DVI modes (computer). It will stretch the view, horizontally, to fit the 16:9 display, and there is no way to deactivate this automatic feature.

I can select a 16:9 resolution (1280X720), but because Oleg will only allow 4:3 AR in game, the view is cropped on top an bottom (as already discussed).

The bottom line is that with this 32 inch Syntax Olevia, I CANNOT get a full view, unstretched version in game. I'm either going to get a horizontally stretched full view, or a cropped unstretched view. Many of the competitors simply have an LCD on screen menu which allows this automatic stretching to be turned off, and gives you the black bars. The Oleveia DOES NOT have this option. It does for the TV modes, but not the computer modes. You'd think for $1,300 it would.

If you are going to use this display for IL2, I would not recommend it. If Oleg would allow us to use widescreen, it wouldn't be a problem, but it is.

Thanks for all the help guys,
Animal

Wilburnator
01-10-2006, 02:20 PM
My monitor doesn't have any option to switch between widescreen and 4:3 either, yet I can run 4:3, 16:10, and 16:9 without stretching or any other distortion, all through settings in my radeon control panel. I don't think it's your monitor, Sparx said he has the same one.

Anyway... you CAN run FB/PF in widescreen. It does work. I explained how, and Sparx did also in even greater detail.

Good Luck

IVJG51_Animal
01-10-2006, 05:16 PM
You can run it in widescreen, but you have part of your view cropped at the top and bottom. I can run the sim beautifully at 16:9 with a symetric representation (P-38 sight is round), but my view is cropped at the top and bottom. If I go to a 4:3 resolution, I get the full picture but it is stretched to fit the display. This display will stretches to fill the screen, regardless of the res settings.

So, I either fly the sim with a symetrical view, with the top and bottom cropped off. Or, I get the full view, stretched.

Animal

VFS-22_SPaRX
01-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Animal,

If you want a 4:3 resolution in IL2, say 1024x768, then do the following.

1. Set your desktop resolution to your LCDs native resolution. I am assuming from your posts that yours is 1280x720.

2. Set your config.ini to the following

[window]
width=1024 <-----
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=0 <----
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=1
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0 <------
Use3Renders=0

3. Play IL2.

You will not have a 4:3 image with black bars left and right in IL2. Well almost . You will be 48 pixels shy in the vertical since your monitors resolution is 720 in the vertical. The key here animal is to not ALLOW IL2 to change your your MONITORS resolution. Just let it control what resolution it will display.

The fact that if you use a widescreen resolution in IL2 that you lose FOV in the vertical is well known. But to be honest, I like the bigger screen over the FOV. I do have Trackir, so losing a little bit of FOV in the vertical is not a big deal. I am quite happy with This monitor. It has a very good image quality.

SPaRX

Eightball_Syn
01-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Have you checked if 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display' is unchecked? It's at Control panel->Display->Settings tab->Advanced button->Monitor tab .