PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to "Zoom and Boom"

Talamir
07-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Can anyone either explain how or link me to a guide on the "Zoom and Boom" tactic.

I understand the concept and have been on the receiving end online multiple times but I can't seem to execute it myself. I've praticed it on my friends, but they just easily turn out of the way everytime I come in. Any tips/links would be very much appreciated.

Talamir
07-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Can anyone either explain how or link me to a guide on the "Zoom and Boom" tactic.

I understand the concept and have been on the receiving end online multiple times but I can't seem to execute it myself. I've praticed it on my friends, but they just easily turn out of the way everytime I come in. Any tips/links would be very much appreciated.

JtD
07-29-2006, 03:05 AM
If they turn out of the way and succeed, you have two options:

1st) Improve your deflection shooting.
2nd) Turn off cockpit.

You need to be able to hit evading planes, if you aren't, B'n'Z is about worthless. You could only score against distracted enemies or not so skilled pilots.

Maybe you can also work on your timing, usually people try to climb after you and if you come down while they are slow, there evasive action will not be sucessful. So don't zoom up into a near stall, just go up like 5 seconds, loop the plane and attack again. For maneuvers like that you have to be certain about the E of your opponent.

Another thing would be to get a wingman and double B'n'Z him. If you do two attacks seperated by say 5 seconds there are good chances number two attacks as the victim is just recovering from evading number one. Best situation here would be a so called drag and bag, where the victim enters a steady climb after number 1 and number 2 has a shot at a slow, straight target offering a lot of surface.

This is a nice B'n'Z kill. Game track. (http://mitglied.lycos.de/jaytdee/tracks/P47vs109.ntrk)

F6_Ace
07-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Have a look at air warfare.com (google for it); there are plenty of guides over there regaring aerial ding-dongs.

In essence, the bnz attack "simply" involves you getting into a position above your opponent then attacking [preferably] from a blind spot so you can dive, at high speed and unseen, into an easy shooting position which may be from a high angle or, if you prefer, diving underneath the enemy and shooting him from his low 6; you should open fire at around 400m because you are typically going so fast that you are not going to have a lot of time to adjust your aim (or any time at all in a 109 as the elevator locked up as soon as you manage to get enough speed to take off).

Following your attack, successful or not, you level out then begin a shallow climb (this is using your high dive speed to 'extend' from the enemy and thus prevent him from being able to shoot back) back into a higher position than your enemy (who probably knows you are there now).

You then continue to repeat converting your potential to kinetic energy and vice-versa until you nail the opponent.

And, as you might imagine, if you can damage or destroy him on the first pass, you are going to make like significantly easier for yourself on subsequent attacks (if there are any).

One thing to note, though, is the so-called 'F6 Ace'; a pilot with no clue as to situational awareness whatsoever who simply presses F6 repeatedly (on an externals enabled server) in order to check for bnz attackers. The F6 Ace can easily be identified by his pulling a 90 degree turn in under a microsecond just as you are about to open fire from a complete blindspot. However, these pilots are true aces as it does take a lot of discipline and skill to repeatedly operate that F6 key.

It should be noted that the pinnacle of bnz is destroying a plane on the first pass without him ever knowing that you were there. Supposedly 80% of pilots IRL were shot down in this manner.

domenlovrec
07-29-2006, 03:58 AM
Indeed. Fly on full real servers. I also tried to learn bnz on "cockpit off" servers. I sucked. Now on full real, they almost never spot me. Bn'Z is all about suprise!