PDA

View Full Version : Turret/AA Movement Problem

bweiss
02-27-2005, 06:34 PM
I've encountered a problem where none of the bombers in my install FBAEPF work. Neither the mouse (which does move for view), nor the joystick. I use Newview 2.6. also, but neither the leftmouse/joy trigger or the Enter button result in any fire. What might cause this? tks

Akronnick
02-27-2005, 07:56 PM
When You switch to a gun turret, you have to turn off the AI for the turret to take over control. There are two ways to do this, use the "toggle autopilot" when you switch, or turn on autopilot automation using the "toggle level autopilot". If you just switch to a turret with the automation off, you will still be in control of the pilot controls, but will not have control of the turret. Once you turn off the turret AI, you will have control of the turret with the mouse, and still have control of the aircraft. If you leave the turret without turning the AI back on, the AI will stay off, And the turret will be inactive until you turn the AI back on.

Using the autopilot automation feature, you don't have to worry about this as the game will automatically switch the AI on and off as you switch seats.

As to controlling the view while in the turret I don't know of a way to move the center of the view off the aimpoint except for TrackIR. Since, if I understand it correctly, Newview works by mouse emulation, the input from it would control the turret, not the view.

One more thing, many people (myself included at first) confuse "toggle level autopilot" with "toggle level stabiliser" which only works with bombers such as He-111 and B-25 and holds the plane straight and level for bomb runs.

bweiss
02-27-2005, 08:44 PM
...and I thought all ya hadda do was stay in formation? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Okay, er ah, now lemme see. The thingajig goes where? When you say autopilot automation, you mean the autopilotAuto selection in the settings.ini file right? In my case labled as "Shift A=autopilotAuto"

When I use it nothing seems to happen. I mean, I thought it was like EAW's Levelpilot, where the autopilot just took over the speed/alt/flaps, and basically held the plane oncourse. But you're using it as something else. I've tried it with and without autopilot engaged, but it doesn't seem to do anything, "except what I didn't try, the AA guns". If that's the part I'm missing. But is the autopilotAuto supposed to be like the fly level mechanism also?

Now I know how to use autopilot, but I'm getting then that the Aircraft_Stabilizer in the settings.ini file, or in my case labled as "Ctrl A=AIRCRAFT_STABILIZER", is actually what EAW had for a autopilotlevel, just flying along straight. So then the other gizmo, the autopilotAuto, is the lil AI doin the finking on the part of the autopilot "when" the autopilot is engaged? Or do I need another beer? Thanks, appreciate the help in advance. (I thought I'd reached an accomplishment figuring out how to manually raise the landing gear in a F3F. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Akronnick
02-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Yeah, it sounds like you've got it right, but why are you mapping controls by editing the settings.ini file? Just click on controls after you hit escape while flying!

The autopilot automation (autopilotAuto in settings.ini) automatically turns the AI on and off when you switch seats.

Tully__
02-28-2005, 02:25 AM
In the Controls screen with the game, the control you're looking for is labelled "Toggle Level Autopilot".

bweiss
02-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Hey thanks guys. Well I spose, I mean, I map em all over I guess. The ini file, the control section, newview and all. Sometimes I gets confiscated. Anyhow, thanks I got it. Can't sneak up on me now.

Aviar
02-28-2005, 04:49 PM
bweiss,

I'm just curious. Did you find the answer to your problem?

I guess I'm a little dense, but after reading your first post several times, I'm still not quite clear on exactly what your problem was\is.

Aviar

icrash
02-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Sounds like the problem was not turning the auotpilot of the gun. He was there in the turret but it wouldn't respond to mouse movement/commands.

Aviar
02-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Yea, that's what I thought from the Topic Heading, but the info he was given would not have solved that problem. Then in his last post it seems like he was satisfied??

So, I was just curious.

Incidentally, the correct command for jumping into a gunners position and being able to fire the gun is 'Toggle Autopilot'. I THINK the default command is 'a'. If not, it can be mapped through the Controls menu. It's the first command in the MISC section.

Aviar

icrash
02-28-2005, 05:58 PM
"a" is default for autopilot. Looks like the autopilot & autolevel got him mixed up a little (at least in the config.ini anyway). I never use the bombsight so I don't have any of that stuff configured. If I do any bombing it's all low level stuff, even in the '25.

Aviar
02-28-2005, 06:02 PM
You see.....more confusion here. I don't think he ever mentioned 'bombsight', did he? I thought he was talking about manning gunner positions.

Aviar

bweiss
02-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Aye laddy, that I was. I had forgotten how to get the gunners stations in a bomber to fully work and I'm using Newview. A beer here, another there, an first thing ya know you forget things. "I think that's how I met the ex." Well anyway, yes thanks for the assistance it helped me to remember how to do it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif