PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit...

capt_frank
08-19-2007, 11:49 AM
any problems playing IL246 with this config?

Vorondil-1986
08-19-2007, 02:27 PM
I have recently assembled a new computer for my brother using that very OS, and I have had no critical problems at all when trying IL21946 with HyperLobby.

There is some extra hazzle and workarounds, but none that is unsolvable. For example my 1946-disc wouldn't Autostart the installation, so I had to manually browse the disc and run the Setup.exe file.

Also use an installation folder outside the default programs folder, such as "C:\Games\IL2" or such, since I have heard somewhere that Vistas built-in security systems will be very restrictive towards most stuff installed in the ordinary programs folder, (only an unconfirmed rumour though as far as I know).

Lastly you will have to right click the main program files ("il2fb.exe" for IL2-1946 and "hlpro.exe" for HyperLobby) and on the compatibility tab make sure the "run as administrator" check-box is filled, elsewise Vistas defensive systems will restrict web-usage or sometimes start of the programs itself.

georgeo76
08-19-2007, 04:49 PM
My gaming rig has uses this OS and playing IL2 is no sweat. Some ppl have had problems w/ the installation. I can't help w/ that I didn't install it. (just copied my Il2 directory over from my XP program files). I do not use the default program folder, but I've herd that that causes problems. (I understand that Vista won't let programs have write access to the program folder, so config files don't work. I can't confirm this.)

In my experience, you don't have to run IL2 as an admin (although you do have to give it permission in your firewall). You do have to run hyperloby as an admin though, so that it has permission to launch IL2.

I do not recommend Vista 64. The 32bit version seems to work OK, but the driver and software support for the 64 bit version is bad. It's frustrating. My gaming rig sits idle while I spend a majority of my time on my server machine that's running Linux. Even though the specs for this machine are much worse, I find it to be a more enjoyable experience.

capt_frank
08-20-2007, 06:31 AM
i just put a new hard drive in my gaming rig so that i can have a dual boot of xp home and the forthcoming vista home premium 64 bit.

i figure that while vista's 64 bit support bones up, i can still enjoy IL2, SH4 and FSX on the XP OS.