PDA

View Full Version : HyperThread and performance

Iron-Kestrel
07-13-2007, 03:04 PM
I am addicted to Uberdemon's Quick Mission Builder. I love to see loads of planes in the air as it was in the early 1940's. Well, I don't plan on trying 1200 plane sorties like the Eighth Air Force flew, but the 50 or so planes I can play with makes be crave for more.

In short, is Il2 1946 multithreaded? Would I get an appreciable performance boost by disabling Hyperthreading in my BIOS? I have a 3.2ghz HT Prescott CPU.

Thanks

Iron-Kestrel
07-13-2007, 03:04 PM
I am addicted to Uberdemon's Quick Mission Builder. I love to see loads of planes in the air as it was in the early 1940's. Well, I don't plan on trying 1200 plane sorties like the Eighth Air Force flew, but the 50 or so planes I can play with makes be crave for more.

In short, is Il2 1946 multithreaded? Would I get an appreciable performance boost by disabling Hyperthreading in my BIOS? I have a 3.2ghz HT Prescott CPU.

Thanks

T_O_A_D
07-13-2007, 03:16 PM
When I had one, I never saw any real increase in the game, with or without it.

But I could run the game, photo shop, Paintshop pro, Teamspeak, all my perifials, and more, with it on no hitches. But with it turned off, I was limited to about half as much.

Urufu_Shinjiro
07-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Il2 is single threaded. I don't know how well hyperthreading really works but in a dual core cpu the advantage with il2 comes from running il2 on one core and TS, tir, hyperlobby, etc on the other core.

WhtBoy
07-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Multithreading has NOTHING to do with multi-processors. IL-2 runs multiple threads during execution (I believe it's 14 or so).

You're thinking of symmetric multi-processing (SMP) which is the explicit use of multiple CPUs. Note that I say "explicit" b/c the operating system can split up execution of code across CPUs even if the code is not written to explicitly make use of multiple CPUs.

--Outlaw.