PDA

View Full Version : Mixture Settings Question

SeminoleX
12-19-2004, 07:29 PM
After Patch 3.02b I now only have 2 settings 100% and 120% for fuel mixture control.

Does anyone know why this change was made?

I have heard that the mixture settings are now all done automatically but this doesn't seem reasonable if using complex engine management.

Thoughts apppreciated.

cpirrmann
12-19-2004, 07:40 PM
They're not all automatic. Il2 and Dauntless for example, I can still change mixture. However, some I can't and I don't know what the correlation is or all of the ones that don't but I do know the F4F-4 and the P38 do not. It seems that some lost mixture control, but not all.

SeminoleX
12-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Ummmm.....even more mysterious.

Tully__
12-20-2004, 02:53 AM
Some aircraft had automatic mixture control, others didn't. Where documentation is available to the developers to confirm, the game mirrors real life.

SeminoleX
12-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Did the employment of automatic fuel mixture control preclude the pilot from having the option of manual control?

IL2-chuter
12-20-2004, 12:03 PM
From "Pilot Information Manual" 5-4-3 May 1, 1945:

"A constant speed propeller requires the use of a fuel-air ratio gage for manual adjustment of the mixture."

". . . The need for manual control is done away with when when it is set in "AUTOMATIC" postion. If it becomes damaged, mixture may be operated manually by shifting lever from "AUTOMATIC" to the desired manual postion."

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

SeminoleX
12-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Ummmm.....even more mysterious.

The loss of one's ability for opting to use manual mixture control, I mean.

Fliger747
12-20-2004, 07:53 PM
This was changed, I believe a it more closely represents the way many aircraft were actually operated. The R2800 (F4U, F6F, P-47 etc) used an injection 'carbuator' which had settings for 'full rich' (bypassed everything) 'Auto rich', auto lean, and cutoff (no fuel). The carburator sensed the altitude and intake air density and applied proper fuel automatically for the general range desired. Full rich for takeoff (or auto rich), Auto rich for climb and combat, auto lean for cruise and cutoff to shut the engine down. The ADI (water injection) range was also properly compensated for.

IL2-chuter
12-21-2004, 01:38 AM
Do we even have functioning fuel-air ratio gages? Well, best to just leave in auto rich . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

SeminoleX
12-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Answer from Chino Planes of Fame museum where they have a Wildcat in flyable condition.

I was lucky enough to see it in action summer before last.

The Wildcat, like most US WWII military aircraft (SBD, F6F, P-51, P-40, P-38 etc) has a carburator that uses an automatic mixture. With a few variations, the mixture knob has detents at "Cut Off," "Auto Lean" (which provides the leanest mixture for a given power setting, used at cruise power and below,) "Auto Rich" giving the richest setting for T.O. power, Climb, and Power settings above cruise. Some had a War Emergency setting. If you put the mixture knob out of the auto rich and lean detents, you can lean the fuel manually.

So limiting control to auto only is a step down from realism....not that I plan on losing sleep over something so trivial.