PDA

View Full Version : I have a cunning plan



Airmail109
02-24-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm developing a genius idea that may or may not change orthodontic practice to a certain extent, in perhaps 15 years time.

I need to enlist the help of various academic fields, which will be quite easy considering I've got quite a few friends in different fields here in Oxford. So I can get a group of friends together and work on it. However, I do not want anyone stealing the idea. Is there anyway legally I can create a company and bind people involved to a non-disclosure agreement or protect the idea in someway other than just recruiting people I trust? Currently I only have a broad plan of what the product will do and be, so I'm unsure whether I could patent it. Should I put off doing the groundwork until I'm working for a big company who I can persuade to fund me?

Messaschnitzel
02-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
I'm developing a genius idea that may or may not change orthodontic practice to a certain extent, in perhaps 15 years time.

I need to enlist the help of various academic fields, which will be quite easy considering I've got quite a few friends in different fields here in Oxford. So I can get a group of friends together and work on it. However, I do not want anyone stealing the idea. Is there anyway legally I can create a company and bind people involved to a non-disclosure agreement or protect the idea in someway other than just recruiting people I trust? Currently I only have a broad plan of what the product will do and be, so I'm unsure whether I could patent it. Should I put off doing the groundwork until I'm working for a big company who I can persuade to fund me?

You could create your own company and have your friends sign a nondisclosure or noncompetition agreement if they were willing to do so. (don't know about UK laws though) Unless you can pay these folks for their efforts, you will more than likely have to make all of your friends equal partners in your venture to compensate them. If you didn't do this, I would think that you would have trouble getting anyone to sign the contract agreement. You might want to get a Solicitor to advise you on the legal aspects if you are serious about moving forward with this. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

LEBillfish
02-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Well, I'd tell you directly yet I don't want anyone stealing my ideas so try and read between the lines.....

1. Offer to take all your friends who you want to
<STRIKE>kidnap them</STRIKE>
work on the project on a nice vacation.

2. Once there, insure they're
<STRIKE>imprisoned in cells</STRIKE>
somewhere safe and secure.

3. Encourage them to be interested in and work
<STRIKE>beat them regularly</STRIKE>
on your project.

4. When done
<STRIKE>execute them</STRIKE>
thank them graciously.

K2

joeap
02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
I was sure you were going to discuss your plans to study linguistics mate. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

mmitch10
02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Aimail, check PMs

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
http://www.bigchilli.com/images/products/151695.gif

Achilles_NZ
02-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Thats just too bloody funny Urufu!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

FI.Spitsfire
02-25-2010, 04:45 AM
I'll have a degree in Product Design in 18 months time so if you need me then... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If I can't be the next Dyson I might as well work for him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

major_setback
02-25-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm good with Lego and plasticine.

Airmail109
02-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by FI.Spitsfire:
I'll have a degree in Product Design in 18 months time so if you need me then... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If I can't be the next Dyson I might as well work for him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I need mathematicians and LOTS of data to work with at the moment. Then I need computer programmers and biomaterial engineers.

Strictly no orthodontists as I think they're f*ing quacks.

AndyJWest
02-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Orthodontic nanotechnology? Cyberjaws? Roboteeth? The mind boggles...

Ba5tard5word
02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Son of a gun, Urufu beat me to it...

http://kent.smithnz.com/images/Favs/blackadder7.jpg

Feathered_IV
02-26-2010, 05:03 AM
I wouldn't let Airmail stick something in my mouth. Not now. Not in fifteen years either.

DuxCorvan
02-27-2010, 06:09 AM
British and orthodontic stuff... I don't see it.

http://www.customcomedy.net/AustinPowers.jpg

Gammelpreusse
02-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I think you need a serious redifinition of the word "friend" if a NDA is required. That aside I don't think it is nessecary to open up a business for that. But if you have access to different academic fields in Oxford, why don't you just go and ask in the law department?

Airmail109
02-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Gammelpreusse:
I think you need a serious redifinition of the word "friend" if a NDA is required. That aside I don't think it is nessecary to open up a business for that. But if you have access to different academic fields in Oxford, why don't you just go and ask in the law department?

I have no friends who are Lawyers, make of that what you will!

Mmitch, thanks for the PM! will reply in a bit!

Crazy_Goanna
02-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Has anyone noted the fact that many successful comedians were once lawyers
There are many comedians in Australia that followed this employment path
Interesting fact!!