PDA

View Full Version : Computer noob needs help transferring files

Frankthetank36
12-02-2009, 06:13 PM
My old computer got a virus so I backed up all my stuff (including IL2 1946) on external hard drives but now I can't figure out how to get the game to open on my new computer. I have a folder called "ubisoft" from the program files that I transferred onto the new computer (it just shows the names of sub-files and stuff when I try to open it) but I can't actually figure out how to put IL-2 on the desktop and the game and aircraft guide and readme and stuff in the "all programs" menu, the way it used to be. I don't have a game disc as I downloaded the game from direct2drive.com. Any help would be appreciated.

AndyJWest
12-02-2009, 06:48 PM
If you've copied the complete contents of your original ubisoft folder correctly to your external drive and back again, you should be able to get IL-2 running again no problem. In the Ubisoft folder you shoul find another folder named 'IL-2 Sturmovik 1946', open that, and you will find a file called 'il2fb.exe'. Right click on that with the mouse and you should get a menu, click 'Create Shortcut' on there. This will make a new file called 'Shortcut to il2fb.exe' in the same folder. Drag this file from there to the Desktop. Double clicking the shortcut shoud start IL-2 in the normal way. You will probably want to rename the shortcut, Right clicking that will give you a menu which allow that.

If you have changed computer, you will want to run il2Setup.exe first, as your graphics card etc will probably have changed. This is in the same folder as il2fb.exe, and the easiest way to run it wil be to just double-click it.

Before you do anything though, I'd ensure that you haven't transferred any virus from the old PC to the new one - ensure you have up-to-date anti-virus software, and that you have done a full scan of all drives.

Most applications will not let you copy them from PC to PC like this, but IL-2 is more tolerant, and should run ok.

I cant remember off hand how to add things to the 'all programs menu, but it is fairly simple - heve a look in the Windows Help: all you are doing is adding shortcuts to the menu like you did to the desktop.

Frankthetank36
12-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks alot Andy, as you can see I have the computer skills of a walnut but the game works now. Is it still possible to put the Ubisoft menu (which includes the readme, the game, and the aircraft guide) in the "all programs" menu that you access by clicking Start?

AndyJWest
12-02-2009, 07:23 PM
It should be: have a look in Windows Help, exactly how it is done may vary depending on which windows version you are using. The Guide, ReadMe etc should all be in the IL-2 folder.

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Frankthetank36:
Is it still possible to put the Ubisoft menu (which includes the readme, the game, and the aircraft guide) in the "all programs" menu that you access by clicking Start?

It's possible, but no point really. What you will have to do is locate the start menu folder (in windows xp it will be under C:\Documents and Settings\*your username here*\Start Menu, in vista/Win7 it should be under C:\Users\*your username here*\Start Menu) then create an il2 folder in there and then create and move the shortcuts into that folder, then it will all show up in the start menu. I don't bother with all that, I just make a folder on my desktop called il2 and move all the shortcuts I want in there, like hyperlobby, trackir, il2fb, il2setup, conf.ini, etc.