PDA

View Full Version : Can communications menu be made NOT to appear?

Tallyho1961
10-19-2004, 02:20 PM
I've mapped my communications (cover me, wingmen attack fighters, etc.) to a POV hat on my joystick and, for added realism, would like to stop the commuications menu from appearing when I activate these commands in-game - exactly like turning off the hudlog. Does anybody know if there is a line in the config file, or other, that can be edited to make this happen?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Von_Zero
10-19-2004, 03:13 PM
not sure i understand, u switched the default "tab" key with one of your hat's positions? if u don't want them to apear, just don't push the button u assigned...
if u don't want to use them AT ALL, then bind that key to another function.

T_O_A_D
10-19-2004, 03:26 PM
The only way to get rid of the ingame chat window is to drag it off the side of the screen. Just leave a little bit of it showing so you can drag it back out later if needed.

Tallyho1961
10-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the input guys - I'll try to be more clear: Each time we use the in-game communication function - TAB +?+? - a text manu appears. I am hoping to find a way for it NOT to appear, even though I am issuing the communication to my AI wingmen. This is not critical by a longshot - it's just that I like playing without screen aids (hudlog, speed bar, etc.) all of which can be turned off, and I am hoping that I can "turn off" the communication text menu as well.

SeaFireLIV
10-19-2004, 05:05 PM
My only suggestion is try a voice comms program linked to the Tab commands, like Voiceflux (there are others can`t remember name). Basically, you speak, it understands. It makes the TAB menu appear for a fraction of a second, it`s that responsive because the program access` the menu without going to the keyboard so it`s way faster.

pterodactyl77
10-19-2004, 05:09 PM
don't know how to hide comms screen (but a good idea.)

here is one of those voice activated comm apps...haven't tried it, but supposedly works okay. it has already been configured for il-2 games, so likely less set-up to learn...

--------------------------------------------
Shoot 1.6.4 (google for it.)
--------------------------------------------

Shoot is a speech recognition program that translates your voice commands into arbitrary keystrokes. Perfect for commanding your AI buddies in your favorite flight simulator or FPS! Forget about having to memorize all those keyboard shortcuts, now you can just say what you want to happen. Although was created with games in mind it can be adapted to practically any program by creating an appropriate command profile.

Shoot is similar to Game Commander and Gamevoice, but it is free for non-commercial use. Of course, if you'd like to make a contribution, I'll be more than happy to accept your donation or a gift http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

antifreeze
10-19-2004, 07:46 PM
No there isn't a way.
It always flashes on-screen when a command is made. In your joystick profiler, don't configure any pauses, and the flash of menu will probably be as quick as the voice recognition programs.

BTW, I think shoot development has been discontinued, and at this stage it has loads of compatibility issues with many OS set-ups. It works fine on my PC, but because I don't use Win98/ME, I can't use it simultaneously with Teamspeak or RogerWilco.

WTE_Galway
10-19-2004, 10:18 PM
i generally fly with minimal text as well .. never use speedbar at all .. though i find only the LW planes particularly suitable to fly with HUD off as you can see the radiator position. I really do not know why radiator open and radiator close could not be mapped to keys instead of the annoying cyclic thing

you can turn off radio chatter in the config file which gets rid of all the annoying AI messages like course vectors but i am not sure if that turns off your own commands .. I suspect not