PDA

View Full Version : Saitek Aviator Issue

general_kalle
01-03-2009, 02:15 PM
having an anoying issue with my Aviator.
suddenly the joystick quits calibration and as the Saitek software is you cant recalibrate it.

however found a topic on Saiteks own forum describing how you can delete all files with a certain name in the Registration Database
(Type regedit in the run window)
it didnt always help the way it should so lookin around the database i found a another folder with a file of similar name

as it couldnt get worse i took the chance and deleted that one aswell.
what it did was that it allowed me to calibrate the joystick with window's default calibration method HOWEVER
it still goes out of calibration and usual takes 3 or 4 attempts before it's finally calibrated and theres no telling wether it will last 5 days or 5 minutes. and it does that in flight so suddenly your plane swings violently to the right.

i guess the solution is to realise that Saitek is utterly rubbish and get myself a CH produkt.. only seen good comments about that stuff..thing is that it costs money...

anybody have an idea of how to fix this issue?

sry if theres an existing topic
did a search but i couldnt find anything.

Rock_Kettler
01-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I've been using Aviator for 18 months at least and never had any probs except when first using on new vista PC about a year ago. I'd always used profiles (using Saitek Profiler software) and original profiler didn't work with vista.
As best I remember I had to de-instal original (XP compatible) software and download what was at that time a Vista compatible Beta profiler. had to re-create all profiles with new profiler.
Everything worked as advertised.

Using profile enables maximum use to be made of the multiple switche functions. Much experimentation later I now have a profile for IL2 (use it both on PF and 1946) that suits. I've just been given FSX and intend to create a profile for that whenever I get it loaded.
Also use Saitek pedals and have given up trying to profile them. No point really I use them raw and they work just fine.
I can't remember the detail of the software removal but think it was alittle more than de-instal but not sure if it involved regedit.
I'll dig into memory and residue to see if I can audit what I did. anything comes up I'll post.
For my money it's still one of the best sticks I've ever used regardless of price. (that sounds daft but I guess you'll know waht I mean)

general_kalle
01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
wonder why it happens to me then..

if i wanted a new stick and i wouldnt want saitek what would i go for?
CH produkts right?
which one?

JG52Uther
01-10-2009, 07:10 AM
CH Fighterstick.

general_kalle
03-04-2009, 04:38 PM
after looking a bit at the CH joystics a few things strikes me.

theres no proper throttle on the stick base, only trim wheels which i doubt will work very good for throttle? or am i wrong?

on the fighter stick it says theres 24 buttoms..however i can only see 4 not counting the trigger. wheres the rest.
i need as a minimum 3 buttoms and a trigger.

wheres the rest?

x6BL_Brando
03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
The FS buttons are 3 X 4-way hats, a mode button, a Shift button, and one other. There is also an 8-way hat for views and a trigger. That makes 24 buttons. The throttle axis is controlled by one of the the milled wheels on the base and is quite OK to use. The only lack is a rudder, this is not a twisty stick.

It gets better. Using the software (quite simply the best, most stable you'll find anywhere) it is possible to add a shift function, effectively doubling the number of available key-presses.

Add to this 3 programmable Modes, effectively trebling the last total, and you end up with well over a hundred key-press options. Obviously you'll need some to stay the same across all three modes - the hat-switch for views is an obvious example - but you end up with a very comprehensive HOTAS component.

B

sc1949
03-04-2009, 11:29 PM
general_kalle
I've got a Saitek ST90 (I know, "Cheap crap"), that always played up, but I fix it by hitting autopilot, rotate fully left and right, turn off autopilot, and it seems to work OK till the end of any session. Need to do it again if you leave and start again though. Might pay you to try that first, I'm going to get a new stick, was look ing at aviator till I saw your post, because of the price difference, but now might go CH Fighterstick. Hope it helps.

Aviar
03-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by general_kalle:
after looking a bit at the CH joystics a few things strikes me.

theres no proper throttle on the stick base, only trim wheels which i doubt will work very good for throttle? or am i wrong?

on the fighter stick it says theres 24 buttoms..however i can only see 4 not counting the trigger. wheres the rest.
i need as a minimum 3 buttoms and a trigger.

wheres the rest?

Well, if you want a 'proper' throttle......

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/t_pro_throttle.html

Are you looking at the same Fighterstick that I am:

http://www.chproducts.com/reta...ter_usb_reviews.html (http://www.chproducts.com/retail/j_fighter_usb_reviews.html)

Why don't you check out this review on CH products:

http://www.simhq.com/_technolo...technology_014a.html (http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_014a.html)

Aviar

general_kalle
03-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Aviator is a good stick when it works...its just not reliable enough it seams.
and the software doesnt allow for manual calibration. you have to delete some files in Registration database to be able to use the windows calibration thing. (which is what i do)

anyway. the fighterstick looks good except theres no twist. im very used to use the twist in the stick and pedals are expensive!!! i was hoping to do with a stick.
any CH stick with twist?

PF_Coastie
03-05-2009, 05:09 AM
General_Kalle,

Thrustmaster announced a new stick this year that should be showing up in stores any day now. It looks very promising.

Check out the T16000 M (http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/21707/22731/Thrustmaster-unveils-new-joystick-HEART.phtml)

A google search will reveal more reviews of the stick which all look good.

general_kalle
03-05-2009, 06:04 AM
wow..high tech..looks good...50$. thats aktually not bad considering its brand new.
the only thing is that the throttle slide rail looks a bit short but i guess it isnt too bad.

looks like ive found my next stick.
my squad mate has this hotas cougar which he say's its got exellent service so if somethings wrong i can always get it repaired.

general_kalle
06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Reviving an very old tread but for other people looking for a new stick.

I got the 160000M now and I'm very satisfied. As i noted the throttle slider is a bit short but that is about all i have to say about it. otherwise its very satisfying. It's plug and play, no software whatsoever. you can calibrate it via windows, 6 buttons in each side. total ambidextrous design.
rugged and nice to grip.
1 trigger, 1 8-way hat and 3 button on the top and a Rudder Twist.

can't ask for more.