PDA

View Full Version : Homing Torp

longam
04-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Shooting at a small vessel with a couple of homing torp at close rang is a bad ideal. He was close to 400m so I launched a couple at him real fast thinking I was going to miss anyway with my angle. Apparently he seen the fish coming at him and turned toward me at high speed. His arc was to great to come straight at me, but watching the fish they began to follow him. Well the first one went right in his props and poof he was gone. I thought cool€¦. until I seen the second fish turning back toward me! ****! Hard turn and shutdown the engines €¦€¦. It just missed me by a few feet. Lesson learned.

Frederf221
04-25-2005, 11:08 AM
I think the Acoustic Torp has a muuuuch larger than 300m arm range. And I wouldn't use it on anything going slower than 15kts (or it won't lock on).

quillan
04-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Not true. That's what the description in the game says, but they will home on anything moving. The distance where they lock on seems to depend on screw noise, but I have fired them at 4 knot contacts and seen them steer towards it.

BaneSixEcho
04-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Has anyone received homing torpedos before you were supposed to?

Reason I ask is I transfered from the 1st to the 7th and then upgraded from a VIIB to a VIIC. After all that it was January 1942. I went to the Uboat area in base to get some upgrades and I was already outfitted with four TIV acoustic homing torpedos. Checking the upgrade chart they weren't supposed to be available until later in the year.

Not that I'm complaining, it just seemed a little weird, especially since radar and another upgrade (which I can't remember atm) aren't available when they should be at this point.

con20or
04-25-2005, 12:36 PM
In real life, orders were that homing torpedoes would only be fired from the stern tubes,and upon firing a radio signal had to be broadcast to all uboats in the area.they then had to stay submerged (deep)for a set period of time until they were sure it was gone.

quillan
04-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Everyone does, Bane. For whatever reason, the Falke homing torpedoes are part of the default loadout for 1942, on every boat I have looked at. They vanish in 1943. My default was two Falkes on the internal front reserve, one in the stern tube and one in the stern internal reserve.

BaneSixEcho
04-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks quillan. It's good to know it's not just me.

alanschu
04-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Heh...I didn't get any homing torpedos auto-outfitted up until my death in May 1943 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

quillan
04-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Two questions, alan.

1) What sub type did you have? I've only looked at the various VII types and the IXB, I think.

2) Are you using the default basic.cfg, or a modified one?