PDA

View Full Version : Getting to grips with my addiction!

rfap
01-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Greetings all,

I've finally come to the conclusion that my rig is now almost complete with regards to running IL2/FB/AOE/PF combined with BOE, Fau Blau and The Final Days.
I'm using an Athlon XP 2500+ clocked to 3200+ on an Abit NFS ver 2.0
Display = 19' CTX 951F
Graphics card is a Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro
Memory = Mushkin 3200 Level 2 (2 x 256Mb sticks)
Hard Drive = Western Digital 80Gb 8 Mb cache
Optical Drives = LiteOn DVD and DVD/RW
Cooling coutesy of Asetek Waterchill with double 120mm Radiator

The above rig will run in perfect mode at 1152 * 864 without any lockups or slowdowns and perhaps just needs another 512Mb to give it a finishing touch. A more pressing concern is input...
I have been using a Thrustmaster Afterburner Joystick and Throttle combo but feel the need to step up to something a bit more precise!

My candidates are:

Saitek X52
or
Saitek X45
or
CH Fighterstick Pro Usb with CH Throttle Pro Usb

Are the CH kit worth more than double cost of the Saitek units?
And can the CH kit be flown without the rudder pedals or do they need them as well?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS
As soon as I decide and purchase the necessary bits, I will then open a savings account and start putting "200 a month away in preparation for BOB http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

horseback
01-06-2005, 10:18 AM
CH Products sticks do not include a twist-rudder function. You would be better served to go with a Fighterstick and the Pro Pedals if you choose to go the high-end route. The Fighterstick has an extra axis that can be assigned to your throttle, and frankly, rudder pedals are a more useful controller than a few extra buttons on a throttle.

That said, I've had the CH Combatstick/Throttle/Pedals combo for a couple of years now, and they are very reliable and precise. I consider them worth every penny.

If you must go the HOTAS route, I'd recommend the X45 + Pro Pedals. It seems to be very popular with a lot of knowledgable people here, and appears to fall within (the higher end of) your budget.

cheers

horseback

rfap
01-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the reply horseback. Your second paragraph answered it for me.. Any kit that will last a few years while keeping its reliability and precision is cheap in my book. I've ordered the Fighterstick and Throttle and will search for the Pro pedals...

Bearcat99
01-06-2005, 04:32 PM
You could have gotten an X45 with a product repleace ment plan and a set of pedals for the price of the stick and throttle. Good choice though... from what I hear.

heywooood
01-06-2005, 08:11 PM
you need more ram...otherwise very cool rig.

JG52Uther
01-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Get 1024 ram (2X512) you wont regret it.Also love my X45 (but no pedals yet!).And have you considered Track IR? I love that too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

x6BL_Brando
01-07-2005, 03:24 AM
I'm just passing Year 2 with my Fighterstick/Pro Pedals combo. I've not required any spares and it is all still running as sweetly as ever. You can have as many as 132 separate commands on just the stick alone! As well as the rudder, my right pedal runs the wheel brakes and also I have the HOTAS flap slider on the left pedal. The latter is great for carrier t/o

rfap
01-07-2005, 04:00 AM
To Bearcat, heywooood and JG52Uther:
Thanks for the replys and observations / recommendations:

Just did a deal to swap my Mushkin ram for 1Gb Geil 3500 Cas 2. I had been slow to add another stick because that would have slowed my FSB to 333mhz and locked the cpu back to 2500+ speeds.

As I live in Ireland, there is no such things as product replacement plans with what are classed as consumable items such as Joysticks. Stores over here generally do not carry the highend or even midrange gear and if they do charge a nice premium for it. I'll give an example..
The Saitek X52 is generraly available in the US for $105 with free shipping. If I convert that price to " (Euro) it works out at about "80. The cheapest price I can find for the X52 is "129 + "10 shipping. If I convert that to US dollars it works out at $184 with no product replacement plan...and an extra $104 on top. Ireland richly deserves its title as one of the most expensive countries to live in...
So to finish up, I'll have the Gig of Ram on Tuesday hopefully which will give IL2FB/AOE/PF room to breathe. In about 3 weeks I should get delivery of the CH kit,I must admit now to being kinda excited as I have read all the reviews and they are generally very complimentary with the exception of the price which I will discount on quality grounds.
Does the TrackIR really work and does it improve the experience to the extent that I have heard on these forums?
I would be worried that I move my head around too much while in the middle of a furball, get totally disorientated and end up getting clipped! If you say that it is better than say 7 out of 10 in improving the sim experience I will consider investing as I think I will loose around 2 months retraining myself with the rudder pedals and the new sticks.

JG52Uther
01-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Well as far as TiR goes,i would give it 10/10.I would not fly without it now,if it broke i would not even fly until i got it fixed.You will soon learn to not move your head about too much.As for prices,you are right !(i live in the UK)

Targ
01-07-2005, 10:20 AM
You will be very happy for years to come with the CH gear, worth every penny. As far as the Track IR is concerned some love it and others do not care for it. I personally love it and after getting used to it find it very hard not to fly with it. I never used my track ir 2 much as I could not get used to it, I bought the TIR3 and after a couple of weeks it seemed like second nature to use.

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-07-2005, 11:22 AM
horseback and Targ have said it as well (or better) than I could have. I use CH exclusively now and swear by them. I've used MSFFB2, Saitek and CH and without a doubt CH is the best.

If $$ is an issue, I'd also recommend the Fighterstick+rudder pedals combination over the throttle+stick combo too.

TB

nealn
01-07-2005, 02:39 PM
I would agreee with the above. I have had my CH pedals for over a year now and they have worked flawlessly, giving me many hours of flight sim enjoyment. A good sturdy product.

N