PDA

View Full Version : Japanese guncam footage

Wildnoob
03-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I know most people here live in Ocident, but why is so rare to see guncam footage from Japanase figthers ?

I use the word rare, but in fact I never see any Japanese guncam.

I don't know about IJN figthers, but I have a diagram of a KI-84 and the camera is set on the rigth portion of the wing.

Wildnoob
03-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I know most people here live in Ocident, but why is so rare to see guncam footage from Japanase figthers ?

I use the word rare, but in fact I never see any Japanese guncam.

I don't know about IJN figthers, but I have a diagram of a KI-84 and the camera is set on the rigth portion of the wing.

Pirschjaeger
03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I May be wrong but isn't this Japanese guncam footage of a d-fight with the Chinese?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfnq8DZ2-6w&feature=related

Wildnoob
03-20-2008, 03:38 PM
here's war I found at some comments of this video :

"rgr that. the IJN used gun-cameras for training purposes only and not in combat (hence the complete lack of Japanese air-combat footage). the A6M's were stripped-down to the barest minimums anyway=camera-gun too much extra weight."

"It were Japanese Army Ki-10 fighters chased by Japanese Army Ki-27 fighters in a 1940 Japanese war film 燃ゆる大空 (Flame over Skies)
Nothing to do with Japanese Navy Zero Fighters"

guess we have an explanation about IJN, every way to save wheigth on the Zero construction was used.

but, about IJA I still stay in doubth because wat I see in my KI-84 diagram.

Pirschjaeger
03-20-2008, 04:09 PM
I do have guncam footage of the Japanese fighting Chinese biplanes on dvd but all my dvd's are still in China while I'm in Germany. That footage looks a lot like the footage on my dvd's.

Rjel
03-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure, but I'd assume some of the reason is same as to why U.S. guncam isn't all that plentiful from the Southwest Pacific. I've read that the humidity played havoc on gun camera film. That and the fact it was a far more primitive living environment compared to the ETO.