PDA

View Full Version : Do this, do that, uninstall this, reinstall XP ?????????

RHE1960
10-19-2005, 10:01 PM
MYST V is worse than every other MYST!

I will wait for the patch.... but HELLO this is 2005!!!

Can't UBI test there software properly?

It very simple.... I maybe think twice to buy UBI the next time, I am sorry......!

Greetings, Rene

randjcr
10-24-2005, 12:49 PM
100% right, Rene. How can such wonderful games be so technically horrid? I, too, got the boilerplate advice about updating drivers, uninstalling, reinstalling, messing with msconfig, etc. - - all because I can't get any subtitles. For Myst IV, Ubi kept insisting that the problem was at my end, but suddenly here comes a patch to fix the problems. I've shelved the game until I hear about a patch (the first of many, I assume). Ron

RHE1960
10-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks randjcr for your support on my comment.

The problem off the last 10 % work is that it takes 90% effort of the whole job and if you look at the problems they had on the firm, you will understand that this 90% is a lot of pressure.

Nevertheless I feel like an extension of the programmers, we report / find the problems and they just wait€¦€¦ and wait€¦. and wait, until we have suffered enough and then there will be a patch. This is much cheaper than finding the problems themselves!

They know there will be a patch!!! Always!!! But waiting is the best policy, because a patch cost a lot off money!

MYST IV had problems with subtitles€¦.. Why does MYST V have the same problem€¦ there is something very wrong?

And this time I am very worried about the patch€¦.. Because I don€t have a good configured PC €¦. NO my PC has a perfect configuration!!!

If I can only play the part of the ventilator with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL you have to conclude that this programmer (team) did not work on the rest (cost reduction?)!

If MYST V was $100 with the intelligent off EXILE €œBUT no problems€ I would buy it also! And then to think of it that the total Gaming World is good for >$13.000.000.000 hahahaha

Greetings, Rene

p.s. if I look how this forum (almost ridiculous) is trying to solve the crashes and problems it looks like it is a part of MYST V itself!

harbinger1080
11-08-2005, 08:14 AM
I agree-- although, I took the initiative and reinstalled XP on my day off anyway, because I just wanted the game to work. It still doesn't work, and now I'm getting new versions of the friggin' eoa.exe sent to me so I can run analysis programs. Even these will only run with Windows 98 compatibility... at what point do you suppose it's reasonable for me to demand Ubisoft pay me back for this game? I've had it for over a month, and I can't even get to the splash screens...

enemeth
11-08-2005, 09:21 AM
I literally just got this game for my birthday this morning. Unlike the problems that I have spent the last hour reading about, I can actually get to the play screen. The most agrivating part is I can't get past the option to choose "play"! My screen goes black, the narrow bar at the bottom starts to load and then....BLACK SCREEN! Sounds like fun, huh? My system requirements are better than the recommendations and it still doesn't work. I think I'll be demanding my money back by the end of the week if I can't get it to play. Any suggestions?

Heimdall_G
11-08-2005, 10:36 AM
enemeth,

If you'll start a new topic in this Forum and post a DxDiag report, we'll take a look at your system and maybe make recommendations. See Myst V: System Requirements and Posting Guidelines (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/4941067943) under To post a DxDiag report for a how-to. Run all of the graphics and sound tests you can before saving the report to a file, and post *all* of the file.

harbinger1080
11-08-2005, 09:58 PM
@enemeth
I strongly recommend submitting a problem via the support page. I, too, got this game for my birthday... on October 2. I ran it successfully for the first time this evening. It took a while, lots of trouble shooting, but tech support finally came up with a solution that makes the game run without having to use any compatibility modes or any other special settings. This game definitely has it's problems (mostly from it's over-zealous copy-protections), but I have to say-- they did get it to work, for me.

Heimdall_G
11-10-2005, 09:11 AM
What did they have you do to get it working?

Mowog
11-10-2005, 10:39 AM
It took a lot of work on my part to get both Myst IV and Myst V to run successfully on my PC. But in each case, it was due to outdated software in my machine; DVD ROM firmware for Myst IV, and obsolete Java for Myst V. Proper graphics drivers are also critical. I never even approached Ubi's tech support. I simply came to this forum, and got answers right away. And in each case, the games eventually ran flawlessly and I had a great time with them.

Can't UBI test there software properly? They do test -- exhaustively. They just didn't test on your PC. And if they had, they would have found the same problems you're seeing, and employed the same fixes that the experts on this forum have already written up and pinned. There is such an infinite variety of hardware out there, different configurations, different OSs, some old, some new, that it sometimes takes a little bit of extra work to get newer software to install and run correctly. It's a fact of life, I'm afraid.

Good luck,

RHE1960
11-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Don't I love MYST....

I spend 1000 Euro, A8N-E,AMD 4000+,1Gb and a ATI X800XT vivo and NOW everything works fine!

Greetings,
Rene

Dara100
11-29-2005, 10:05 AM
RHE1960, good for you. I'm sure you are impressed by how good the game looks and plays on your new comp. When I first encountered Myst which came bundled with my 'new' PacBell 486 back in the day - one of the first to have a CD drive! - I thought I'd give it a try. Well, it crashed over and over and I still loved it. I decided to find out why it wouldn't play properly and that lead to a lifelong love affair with both Myst games and computers. Recently finished building a P4 3.2 ATI graphics for myself to get ready for any new games in the next couple of years - sadly, probably no more Myst - and am surprised at how good even the older games look. Of course, the new games look spectacular. It's difficult for some folks to get new computers, but well worth it if it can be managed. I've seen some in stores for around $600 US that would play Myst V admirably.

RHE1960
11-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Hai Dara100,

Thanks fot the reply. It is treu that now that I can play Myst V with the higest possible settings it is wonderful. And I also had to buy a new Double layer CD-DVD drive... to get Myst V to work. So I think that the minimum requirements, are for many ohters a bottleneck to get Myst V proper working (PIII 800 Mhz and 32Mb video, 256Mb RAM?) I have my ???????????.

Greetings, Rene