PDA

View Full Version : We ever get AI "troops" for mission builder?

Hawg-dog
03-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Will we get AI troops for the mission builder?
Groups of "x" number of men, set way points, soldiers walking down the road.
Strafe them, or use them as ground targets for objectives etc?

Sturm_Williger
03-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Even just a static group of "mechanics" would be very very cool to have.

Another static group they could make would be a deployed platoon - some guys kneeling, some prone, an MG or two - all nicely spread out.

Would make those low passes much more worthwhile and you could intermingle them with the mortar squads, add the "mechanics" as a command group etc.

Would be a great and relatively simple addition - surely less work than one new house/ship ?

Hawg-dog
03-04-2006, 09:45 AM
We have a small group of JA, or maybe AM guys sitting around a mortar.
I know the mappers would dig standing troops.
I see the AI scrambling to get out of soft targets, trucks, cars etc-
It would certainly be real to see troops walking down a lane- we can already "kill" a chute hanging pilot, so I dont see any moral dilema

Nimits
03-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, FB doesn't see the present mortars as targets, but rather as scenery objects, so they can't be targetted by DGen, for example. Targettable troops would be a real plus for Guadlacanal and New Guinea campaigns, though.

WWSensei
03-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Yeah, we resorted to using some targettable items to "represent" troops. A jeep = 4 troops, a truck = 15, etc. You could scatter a few of those around with a couple of the morar srews and MG nests scenery items and at least least get something. At least in our Pacific based online war nights I didn't really care to much for the finite detail when i zoomed over at 350mph dropping napalm on them. :-)

I know in coops or offline straffing a convoy will yield running troops that can be shot individually as well...never tested the non-moving ones in a DF...

WOODY01
03-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Troops would 'top off' an already splended sim.

The new directions we mission builders could go would be unreal! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Targ
03-10-2006, 01:54 AM
I agree, troops columns and more military traffic would be great in the sim.

Krt_Bong
03-15-2006, 04:47 PM
anyone who has ever played with a bag of plastic soldiers knows the familiar poses; the mortar crew is like what we have in game, Standing Officer with Pistol, Prone and Kneeling Rifleman the Bazooka (and loader if your set was the Deluxe type a Flamethrower, a Guy Throwing a Grenade and usually a light machinegun or Crouching Tommygun Guy with a grimace like the lead was flying, I had a set with American and German in green and grey and my friend had a set that was pacific Theater and look like very much the same mold but was green and tan We played with those built plastic Tanks and planes and had huge battles in the middle of the dirt road sometimes replete with revetments and "camoflage" from the fallen palm fronds, yes if it pleases you Oleg we most humbly ask for some soldiers formations or just random people in uniform to be used for mechanics and line operations. Currently at Warbirds of Prey we use Mortar crews around aircraft and mask them with Landing gear or something so to have "someone" about.

Treetop64
03-15-2006, 05:08 PM
That would be a cool feature, as long as it doesn't hog up too much of system resources.

VW-IceFire
03-15-2006, 05:14 PM
At one point it was mentioned that troops would increase the ESRB rating of the game and thus perhaps make it less accessible. Not sure exactly...

If your notice the motar launcher teams that they have added are indestructable. But they do make good static objects...as do jeeps and trucks.

pdog1
03-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Sad that a sim originally intended to be for ground attack ( LOL IL-2) doesn't model troops.
Maybe in North Africa sim.

StG2_Schlachter
03-17-2006, 03:08 AM
I would also like to see infantry and maybe even cavalary but as IceFire pointed out, this could lead to increased ratings in all major "IL2-Countries".

Especially the BPjM or USK (the responsible organisations here in Germany) are not very generous when it comes to violence in media.
Games of a more violent kind get onto the index very easy.

OTOH this might not be such a big issue at all, since most IL2 players i met are older then 16-18 and shooting little low-poly soldiers does not necessarily involve senseless splatter effects.

However a publisher like 1:C or Ubisoft might not be willing to take such a risk, as a game on the index may not be advertised and so the profit may decrease significantly.

Maybe we get infantry in the "3rd party mode" of BoB. Although it would make much more sense to have infantry on the eastern front, where actual combat between infantry happened.

Sturm_Williger
03-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Surely if they're static and indestructible, it couldn't add to any "violence" rating, or impact frames more than the current objects.

It's only eye-candy, but important eye-candy... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Waldo.Pepper
03-17-2006, 04:45 PM
I am real good a killing helpless victims.

I want refugee columns too!

pdog1
03-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
I am real good a killing helpless victims.

I want refugee columns too!

And cows and deers and stuff. PETA will have a fit! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AKA_TAGERT
03-17-2006, 10:29 PM
and volcanos

bienenbaer
03-19-2006, 11:09 AM
All worthless until we have little pekingese dogz in ze game.

From 500m above great challenge for ze master gunner. And real trouble if not hit and back at ze base.

Better fly flight-sims.

WWMaxGunz
03-19-2006, 01:16 PM
EAW had "the little men"... still does but well, it's age shows.

Krt_Bong
04-03-2006, 01:53 PM
I have other games where I can freely waste simulated people like Um, Raven Sheild another Ubi title so what is the diff if I see some troops on the ground while I'm blasting Tanks and Vehicles to smithereens..?

lowfighter
04-03-2006, 02:33 PM
For the guys which are moking:
Ever took off in this game?
If yes, don't you feel like taking off from mars?
Ever went with your sturmo to kill the german tanks in a great tank battle? How immersing, there are this little tanks battling and everything else is dead on the planet.
Ever attacked at low altitude a camp,or a harbour, or a factory?

Of course not, you're flying high, very high...

Hawgdog
04-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by pdog1:
Sad that a sim originally intended to be for ground attack ( LOL IL-2) doesn't model troops.

Aint that the truth...
BTW, I'm sure their are young pilots out there, but I dont know any. The youngest I know is 30ish, average is my age, 45-50. I mean, WWII is the diet we grew up on. Pre Nam era movies/games were WWII GIJoe, Rat Patrol and 12:00High.

Ground troops getting strafed were a HUGE part of all the WWII movies I was digging on as a kid.
I'd love to take fire from, and deliver fire to, ground troops humping down a road.
Speaking of ratpatrol, a jeep flying down the dunes shooting back would be a hoot

pdog1
04-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Hawgdog:
Speaking of ratpatrol, a jeep flying down the dunes shooting back would be a hoot

llol yes, special luftwaffe mission!
Destroy the jeep before it gets over the sand dunes to kill our new tigers with its 50 cal!