PDA

View Full Version : AC3 PC release.....

AnthonyA85
12-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Ok, alot of you are probably going to hate me for sugesting this (and as a PC gamer myself, I too am wondering why i'm even writing this), but having seen some of the problems people have been having with the PC release of ACR (won't be able to play mine for another 2 weeks), it is clear to me that it was released before it was really ready.

Alot of people have wondered why the PC versions of previous titles were delayed six months, but just look at the results. The PC versions of AC1, 2 and ACB, while not flawless (I've had one or two CTDs, but VERY RARELY, and ACB's MP just DOESN'T WORK, never will.), were no where near as bad as some of the problems people are facing with ACR

Now, here is where alot of you are going to hate me and brand me a traitor, but I believe that AC3's PC release SHOULD be delayed, for the same duration as AC1, 2 and B.

I can already hear you screaming for my blood, but hear me out.

AC1, 2 and B were all delayed six months, and yes while they weren't all 100% flawless (NO software is), they were more stable than ACR is apparently turning out to be right now.

We wanted a simultanious release, but we got a two week delay, and that only gave the Devs 2 weeks to do the port and test it (as apposed to several months), unless they built the PC version along side the consoles (in which case, i'm starting to wonder what the hell they were doing)

I know programming isn't easy (I struggle with Java), and making a game takes alot of time and effort.

Yes, there is a downside to what i'm sugesting (we'd have to wait 6 months into early 2013), but at least we'd get a more stable release.

DarthDeva
12-09-2011, 10:25 AM
you do know that they don't do the port in the two weeks between console release and pc release, right? It takes a lot more time than that, you realise the game must be ready quite some time before to allow for the physical copies to be prepared, shipped etc, which I can tell you is a lot more than two little weeks.
I believe that Ubisoft has the ability to provide the PC version alongside the console version with a decent (quite) stable port. 6 months isn't a justifiable delay.
AC 1, 2 and B all had their bugs, a whole lot of them, 6 months didn't change that.

I prefer playing the great yet buggy game Skyrim as it is understandable that, with a game boasting 300hrs of full gameplay,(including side quests) it is really a tedious task to correct all bugs. At the very least, a lot of the bugs on TESV will corrected by the community mods and the commands on the ingame console on pc version. Not to forget that the game has a good follow up from the developers, releasing patches every now and then to remedy the situation.

YuurHeen
12-09-2011, 10:39 AM
so what problems are you talking about? i sure didnt had one.

value_zero
12-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Can you sell me your copy of the game and account, since you have no problems at all, it seems you droped on golden copy.

DarthDeva
12-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by value_zero:
Can you sell me your copy of the game and account, since you have no problems at all, it seems you droped on golden copy.

Lol, problems occur due to computer specs, localisation etc. I got the chance of not having any major issues with access to multiplayer, only found lots of bugs throughout my playthrough.
If YuurHeen had no problems, good for him.

value_zero
12-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Yea didnt think about the system, so forget about the game copy, do you have second system you can use?

-Still better love story than Twilight.

TheLeoCrow
12-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Well, to me it appeared to be more stable, run better and be more optimized than the previous games. The plot seems more shallow and mainstream but that's a completely different discussion.

As others said, the cause for the problems probably has more to do with incompatibilities than bad optimization. It's pretty much the same problems we all heard with the previous games.

Generally I don't mind the delays but I would like AC3 to be released before the time it is set to take place, on December 2012. As long as they don't lie about it. Anyway, that's just my opinion

AnthonyA85
12-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Well, as i was saying, I too have not had many problems in single player (just the odd Crash To Desktop every now and then), my main issue is not bieng able to get into MP, but that's more a fault of the way the whole system works, P2P is good over internal networks, but falls flat on it's face over the internet.

And as far as my copy of ACR goes, i am not allowed to play it until Dec 25th, so i won't know until then if my copy is one of the 'stable' ones.

My main piont is, i've seen alot of people posting about problems (some appear to be compatibility with the launcher, others graphical, and even some System-crashing issues), and i just seem to think that if they had taken a bit longer with ACR's PC version, maybe these people wouldn't be having the issues they are,

iNvid22
12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
all AC console ports have been decent to great imo, ACR is a bit more unstable than brotherhood and has more bugs but nothing major or game breaking, and nothing warranting a 3-4 month delay.

Ferrith
12-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by AnthonyA85:
I know programming isn't easy (I struggle with Java), and making a game takes alot of time and effort.

Yes, there is a downside to what i'm sugesting (we'd have to wait 6 months into early 2013), but at least we'd get a more stable release.

I have a better idea. What about Ubi Devs do their bloody job and have both console and PC versions tested properly and released stimultaneously? Programming might not be easy, but this is their job after all, a job they are paid for.

ace3001
12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I really don't get the what the issues are. Most of the time, problems with PC games lie with user error. I completed ACR 100% even without installing the first patch, without a single crash, and my PC's pretty much low end. Anyhow, as long as AC3 comes out on PC, even if delayed, I'm not really worried. Got loads of games to play until then.

Btw, the MP not working is not at all an issue with porting. That's because they use the same P2P tech as with console versions. Unless they go to a client-server architecture, don't expect that to be fixed. And that isn't going to happen.

YuurHeen
12-10-2011, 01:36 AM
for the ones that do wanna know.

i7 950, 12gb memory, nvidea gtx 570 and a nice vertex 3 ssd which makes the loading time minimun :P.

i did had the parachute bug but that really was the only one in both sp and mp that i saw.

Ferrith
12-10-2011, 05:37 AM
I have the parachute bug, the miscount of assassins recruited bug, a glitch in one of the secret locations where Ezio has to re-open the sarcophagus for a second time before the game decides to get him out of there, and a few others. No crashes or other serious problems though.

value_zero
12-10-2011, 06:02 AM
For a second i thought that there are parachutes in the multi, i was amazed about the animus hack ability, but parachute lol

Ferrith
12-10-2011, 06:44 AM
I don't play Multiplayer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Razrback16
12-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by YuurHeen:
so what problems are you talking about? i sure didnt had one.

Exactly. I can't help but 100% disagree with the OP on this. I haven't had any notable programming issues with the game. There were issues with Brotherhood, but not isolated to PC only.

The ideal policy for all game makers is to have an all-platform release on the same date. If you don't do that, you alienate one or more of your customer bases resulting in angry customers who may decide either not to buy the game and pirate it instead (which we saw with Revelations just a week ago as well as previous installments), or to wait until the price drops to buy it as a way to "stick it to the maker". Ultimately I want Ubisoft to treat all platform fanbases the same so we can all equally support their company without being angry at them for their treatment of us. Ubi's track record with this is pretty poor, but I will continue to hope that they can get it together from a management and PR standpoint and start treating the PC fan base of the Creed series with some respect.