PDA

View Full Version : Firing up the tempest

zugfuhrer
02-18-2006, 02:48 PM
I once heard a soundclip and if my memory dont make mistakes, it was a tempest or a typhoon starting. It was a mighty Hsssss and then the engine started to bludder and started up with a mighty sound.
Bipacked text told that the tempest or typhoon was started by a large bottle of compressed air, and the engine was feed on alcohol and ether, and it was highly flamable and if the cylinder miss-ignited the whole engine could torch, so the groundcrew was prepeared with fire-distiguisher.
Is there any truth about this or is this a firytail?

zugfuhrer
02-18-2006, 02:48 PM
I once heard a soundclip and if my memory dont make mistakes, it was a tempest or a typhoon starting. It was a mighty Hsssss and then the engine started to bludder and started up with a mighty sound.
Bipacked text told that the tempest or typhoon was started by a large bottle of compressed air, and the engine was feed on alcohol and ether, and it was highly flamable and if the cylinder miss-ignited the whole engine could torch, so the groundcrew was prepeared with fire-distiguisher.
Is there any truth about this or is this a firytail?

VonShlagnoff
02-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Sounds about right, you'd be suprised to know what they use to start aircraft engines, some used gigantic shotgun type explosive charges.

VonShlagnoff
02-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Infact, just checked my books, the Napier Sabre was started by a Coffman Type L4S Explosive Cartridge starter.

SnapdLikeAMutha
02-18-2006, 03:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zugfuhrer:
and the engine was feed on alcohol and ether, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*dreams of being reincarnated as a Tempest engine*

zugfuhrer
02-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Ok it was a long time ago I heard it. And to climb into the aircraft there should have been climbs covered by a springloaded lid that trapped the fingers if you where in a hurry. The pilots called them mousetraps. Is there any substance of truth in that.

The torque of the engine was so hard that they removed one hangar at Duxford? or was it Tangmere to prevent starting aircrafts crashing into it.
Closterman has written some easy read lines about taking of with the "Brute".
It would be nice if the real startsound was heard when starting the Tempest in this game.

danjama
02-18-2006, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zugfuhrer:
Ok it was a long time ago I heard it. And to climb into the aircraft there should have been climbs covered by a springloaded lid that trapped the fingers if you where in a hurry. The pilots called them mousetraps. Is there any substance of truth in that.

The torque of the engine was so hard that they removed one hangar at Duxford? or was it Tangmere to prevent starting aircrafts crashing into it.
Closterman has written some easy read lines about taking of with the "Brute".
It would be nice if the real startsound was heard when starting the Tempest in this game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be nice if all correct sounds were in game

Hurricane_320
02-18-2006, 03:43 PM
It would be nice if you'd all stop whining!

danjama
02-18-2006, 03:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hurricane_320:
It would be nice if you'd all stop whining! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it would wouldnt it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Hurricane_320
02-18-2006, 03:46 PM
The ultimate dream. Impossible to come true!

Chuck_Older
02-18-2006, 04:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonShlagnoff:
Infact, just checked my books, the Napier Sabre was started by a Coffman Type L4S Explosive Cartridge starter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Akin to shotgun shells if I recall. Icefire would know

Tully__
02-18-2006, 08:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and the engine was feed on alcohol and ether, and it was highly flamable and if the cylinder miss-ignited the whole engine could torch, so the groundcrew was prepeared with fire-distiguisher </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read the warbird tests articles and some of the other stuff about restoring and flying big piston engined aircraft at Pelican's Perch, (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182146-1.html) you'll be surprised how much of a fire risk those beasts are even without esoteric fuels.

p1ngu666
02-18-2006, 09:54 PM
yep
the aptly named coughman starter used basicaly a explosive shell to turn the engine over, and then itll spark into life.

i think spits and other aircraft used it aswell. advantage is its quick, napier used that on a emergancy generator, it could fire up a deltec that quickly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

zugfuhrer
02-19-2006, 04:37 AM
The soundclip was mighty. It sounded like nothing I have ever heard.

The boof, the hizzz and the engine come to live.
I lost the soundclip when the harddrive crashed.

The spits I have heard sounds like an ordinary electric starter. Is it changed because of peacetime regulations.
By the way is this whining?

Airmail109
02-19-2006, 04:47 AM
You could give people here a real spitfire or something and theyd still whine it was overmoddled etc