PDA

View Full Version : Laptop RAM into desktop?

mrsiCkstar
06-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Hey all!

was just wondering if it's possible to put RAM from a laptop into a desktop... I will be getting my hands on an old laptop soon and if I could transfer the RAM from that to my current computer it would effectively double the amount of memory I have.

Thx for replies.

mrsiCkstar
06-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Hey all!

was just wondering if it's possible to put RAM from a laptop into a desktop... I will be getting my hands on an old laptop soon and if I could transfer the RAM from that to my current computer it would effectively double the amount of memory I have.

Thx for replies.

kajr
06-09-2006, 06:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:
was just wondering if it's possible to put RAM from a laptop into a desktop... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, no. Completely different technology, form factors, power ratings, etc.

Corsair_Fanatic
06-09-2006, 06:03 AM
Not usually possible. They are shaped very differently.

mrsiCkstar
06-09-2006, 06:21 AM

well thanks for the info guys. any suggestions as to what to do with the laptop? it's not good as far a sgaming goes... maybe I should toss it in the fjord and see how many time it bounces :P

kajr
06-09-2006, 07:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:
...maybe I should toss it in the fjord and see how many time it bounces </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Things bounce off your water? Perhaps your conf.ini setting needs to be tweaked...

DDastardlySID
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
well thanks for the info guys. any suggestions as to what to do with the laptop? it's not good as far as gaming goes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Network it to your main PC, then go here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4001089673/p/1) and download either the Spitfire gauges (on page 1 of the thread), or the BF109 gauges (on page 3). Then you can use the laptop to display working gauges as you fly (and the laptop doesn't need to be state of the art - they work fine on my 460MHz P2).
Cheers,
DD

mrsiCkstar
06-10-2006, 07:02 AM
that's sweet! thanks!!!

Jumoschlong
06-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Of course you can put ram from a laptop into a desktop. I usually insert it into the optical drive. This protects it from sunlight, and scrubs my disks clean as they rotate during use.

It does not last long this way though, I usually have to add more every other week or so....

Jumo*******