11-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Happens as it approaches also.
Stock green color was selected.http://gvtc.com/~thh/bettybug.jpg

Tooz_69GIAP
11-13-2004, 06:02 PM
erm...that looks weird

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2004, 07:25 PM
That looks like it could be more of a VGA driver issue.

What card and driver version are you running?

Atomic_Marten
11-13-2004, 08:29 PM
http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/images/smiles/hmmm.gif

Gato__Loco
11-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Its actually an experimental type of propeller http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Box-weasel
11-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Don't think it's comp related since I run Perfect with no pb on every other plane.
Radeon 9600 Pro XT 256, 4.11 cat

rbstr44
11-15-2004, 07:49 AM
I used to see the same thing happen last year with FB (with the final and next-to-last patches applied) while running a quick mission with lots of planes--a mixed TB-3 and Li-2 Russian bombing mission versus 4-types of various German fighters. All planes used default skins only. The "bleaching" of the texture pixmaps for all the planes concurrently would usually occur just prior to a game crash. Additionally, the crash would only occur after repeated runnings of the same mission (usually up to 4 or 5 times before the crash) while using external views to see all the planes. Furthermore, the program crash would usually occur in mid-mission, and would always require a reboot (system reset button).

I had assumed that the problem was my poor computer hardware configuration (800MHz Athlon T-bird, Win98SE, DirectX 8.x) which just met the minimum standards for FB so I never reported it to anyone. I had plenty of SDRAM (768MB of slow PC133), but a minimal GeForce graphics card (just 64MB VRAM)--all meet the published requirements, still. Yes, I had to use the LOW detail settings for the most part.

One guess was that by selecting almost the maximum number of planes in the quick mission, using external views to see the action for many of those planes, and by visiting all the TB-3 gunners stations in my own plane that I had easily exhausted texture memory in the GeForce. Therefore, I surmised that I might have hit some bottleneck in the AGP 8X interface to the big pool of slow 768MB SDRAM that would handle the "overflow textures" on the motherboard; this comparatively slow system memory interface handling/transferring so many textures across the system bus may have caused the texture mapping routines to finally lockup between my toggling through the external views.

My other theory: since this bug only occurred after multiple quick mission runs, I suspected that a memory leak was somehow involved in which textures external to the GeForce VRAM eventually consumed the mainboard memory heap, then caused a number of bad texture memory pointer accesses (causing "bleaching") after the heap was exhausted--finally, crashing the system. That is, I also believed that FB might have failed to properly return texture memory from previous mission runs back to operating system control while requesting more and more bytes from the O/S each time a new mission was flown. Since the entire system froze each time, I have trouble proving either case. Nonetheless, something related could be happening to result in the above pic. Let me suggest, too, that my experience could be a completely unrelated bug with coincidental symptoms!

Anyway, given that the problem reported here is for a system that appears to have adequate hardware resources on the graphics side of the house, and that uses an ATI Radeon suggests to me (based on my prior experience) that it is not simply a graphics card manufacturer issue. Still, it might be advantageous to get the output from DXDiag.exe, post it to the community IL-2/FB Tech Support forum, and receive some additional feedback from those knowledgeable folks whether there are any unexplored configuration issues. Afterwards, posting the essential hardware/software configuration items reported by DXDiag to this thread will give Oleg more information to help analyze this bug.

Dunkelgrun
11-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Not a bug. It appears to be an issue with the Cat 4.11s. See here (read down a bit):

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=8071039042

Cheers!

Shift_E
11-16-2004, 11:56 AM
I€ll throw my 2 cents in. I was getting the exact same thing yesterday. I re-loaded my ATI drivers from 4.9 to 4.11, but nothing would work. Then I remembered I made a change to my config.ini file a few days earlier following a tip to improve the look of water. The tip called to change:

Shadows=2 <---- I changed this back to 1
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3 <---- I changed this back to 2
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

I reloaded IL2 and all video problems were cleared up. I€m now back to CAT 4.11 and everything is fine.

Shift_E