PDA

View Full Version : Mediterranean Defense Explained

LightRey
11-23-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm starting this thread to give a simple guide as a means to answer the many questions and explain some of the issues regarding the Mediterranean Defense Minigame in ACR.

Mediterranean defense is a minigame that's unlocked around the same time as the recruits in ACR and provides the player with a means to train their recruits and earn money and equipment in the process, by sending their recruits on missions to Mediterranean cities outside of Constantinople.

Cities:
There are a total of 13 cities all of which are controlled by the Templars at the beginning. One particular city, Rhodes, is locked until the player has plaed on each of the Rhodes maps in Multiplayer. By completing missions in the city Templar influence can be decreased and if one particular mission called "Retaking the city" is successfully completed the city will become under Assassin control, which opens up new missions. Besides the new missions the player also gains the ability to station assassins in these cities, which opens up new slots in their own list of recruits allowing them to get more recruits. Recruits stationed at a city level up periodically until they reach their maximum level (either 10 or 15 depending on whether they're training to become master assassin). All stationed recruits, except the leader, can be selected to go on missions in their own city. When a city is first taken by the Assassins assassin influence will be low and only up to 3 assassins can be stationed. However, by completing certain missions within the city assassin influence will increase and up to 2 more assassin slots can be unlocked. When Assassin influence gets too low, however, there is a chance that the city will come under siege by the templars and if the city is not defended it will fall. While a city is under attack, no new missions aside from its city defense mission can be accessed.

Missions:
There are basically 3 types of missions, unique missions that can only be played once, city retake/defend missions and repeatable missions.

Every mission has a difficulty setting (signified either by * or diamond symbols one being the lowest and 6 being the highest difficulty) which is directly linked to the chance of successful completion. Sending more and/or high level assassins on one mission will increase said chances. There is a chance that an assassin, when returning from a mission, can return wounded and is left out of play for several minutes (unconfirmed). If an assassin (or group of assassins) fails a mission, there is a chance that they will die. Additionally, some missions require a recruit with a specific type of weapon to take part in it. To access such a mission, the first recruit that is selected to take part in the mission has to have that weapon type. There are 4 weapon types in total, so it is possible to have one of each type in one city that can take part in the missions in that city.

Unique Missions:
Most of the unique missions can only be accessed once their city is no longer under the control of the Templars and is not under attack by them. These particular unique missions involve rebuilding and improving the city, which in turn increases the income of said city. There are also unique missions that can only be accessed after completing another unique mission and finally there are unique missions that can be accessed at any time. Most Unique missions cost money and don't directly earn it back. However, completing them often allows the player to gain certain advantages such as increased income or a supply of bomb materials. Unique missions have * symbols to signify their difficulty.

City Retake/Defend Missions:
City retake missions can only be accessed when a city is under Templar control. They have a relatively high difficulty and are easier to complete if Templar influence is low (not confirmed).
City Defend missions can only be accessed when Templars are attacking an Assassin controlled city. This generally only happens when Assassin influence is low.
City retake/defend missions also have * symbols to signify their difficulty.

Repeatable Missions:
These missions regenerate periodically (usually new ones appear when another mission in said city is completed or when assassin influence has decreased). These missions always offer a reward in both money and experience, the magnitude of which depends on the difficulty of the mission. Repeatable missions have diamond symbols to signify their difficulty.

Known Issues:
Sometimes after defending a city it can disappear from the list. This appears to be a minor glitch, but don't worry. When this happens it's likely because in the mean time there was still a mission going on in the same city, which was uncompleted throughout the entire process of defending the city. When this mission is completed, the city should return to the list.

If there's anything I left out feel free to say so and I will edit this post.

RzaRecta357
11-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks. Seems pretty much the same as Brotherhoods.

I like to work one or two up really high then send the low levels with the high ones.

If you guys have trouble reclaming a city just do the others first as it lowers the difficulty.

You can make it so low that a level 3 can go reclaim the city himself and still make the 1500XP!

Dissident Soul
12-02-2011, 07:12 AM
I dont know if anyone else has noticed...or its just me...but every time i try to upgrade my new city.
e.g. install a new assassins den, support local artists, etc
the percentage of my control in other cities go down.

Xenoxin
12-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Just a small question, is there a way to avoid your cities being attacked all the time after you beat the game?

I like to just run around and kill some guards in the proces, but it's really annoying I have to keep sending my assassins on missions to keep the cities under control.

Serrachio
12-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by DissidentSoul:
I dont know if anyone else has noticed...or its just me...but every time i try to upgrade my new city.
e.g. install a new assassins den, support local artists, etc
the percentage of my control in other cities go down.

That's because, over time, your Assassins will lose control of the city if missions aren't completed to gain more Assassin Control.

If this reaches 0%, the Templars will lay siege to the city and you will either lose it through inaction, or you can send Assassins to reclaim control again by doing the "Defend the City" mission.

LightRey
12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
The Assassins lose influence periodically (around the same time you receive money and bomb materials from the cities).

Reign
12-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Has anyone actually had a city retaken by the Templars? I captured Rhodes before I saw the requirements for the Armchair General trophy, so I let it come under siege while I worked on the others.

I left it that way for a few real life days, checking on it whenever I would play SP but the Templars never reclaimed it. Good thing is you can get the trophy even if Rhodes is under siege.

So once I got the trophy I just took it back over again, I was actually looking forward to it being taken back and my recruits being held "hostage" until some further action on my part.

Serrachio
12-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Re1gn77:
Has anyone actually had a city retaken by the Templars? I captured Rhodes before I saw the requirements for the Armchair General trophy, so I let it come under siege while I worked on the others.

I left it that way for a few real life days, checking on it whenever I would play SP but the Templars never reclaimed it. Good thing is you can get the trophy even if Rhodes is under siege.

So once I got the trophy I just took it back over again, I was actually looking forward to it being taken back and my recruits being held "hostage" until some further action on my part.

I think I have had one taken back, and a lot under siege, but I just sent some Assassins out and got them back under control.

najzere
12-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the write-up.

You could add something about some missions requiring a specific type of weapon, after which any weapon type Assassin can be added. It could also be noted that when you send Master Assassins to Mediterranean cities, you don't lose control of their den in Constantinople.

What I would like to see, if anyone knows, is if there is a controllable system to which weapon types you can recruit. Like if it is based on what types you currently have, or which slots you have open, or which type of recruit save you do, or something like that.

LightRey
12-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by najzere:
Thanks for the write-up.

You could add something about some missions requiring a specific type of weapon, after which any weapon type Assassin can be added. It could also be noted that when you send Master Assassins to Mediterranean cities, you don't lose control of their den in Constantinople.

What I would like to see, if anyone knows, is if there is a controllable system to which weapon types you can recruit. Like if it is based on what types you currently have, or which slots you have open, or which type of recruit save you do, or something like that.
Thanks. I have updated the OP accordingly. To answer your question: it seems the types you get are random. However, since one of the recruits in each city cannot take part in missions anyways, I would advise you to place any recruits with weapon types you don't need in those first slots. It's what I did in my second playthrough and thanks to it all the recruits I actively use, be it in my own list or in Mediterranean defense, have a perfect 1:1:1:1 ratio in weapon types.

najzere
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I've done that too, but before I even realized about weapons types, I'd already gotten four or five crossbow types to Master Assassin and since then I haven't been able to find any more crossbows. I can assign them to Mediterranean cities, but I liked having them in my line-up in case I wanted to call Assassins in to a fight.

LightRey
12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by najzere:
Yeah, I've done that too, but before I even realized about weapons types, I'd already gotten four or five crossbow types to Master Assassin and since then I haven't been able to find any more crossbows. I can assign them to Mediterranean cities, but I liked having them in my line-up in case I wanted to call Assassins in to a fight.
Ah, yes. That's a bummer. I did something similar during my first playthrough. In the second I only used Assassins from the special recruiting missions to become Masters. If their weapon types aren't random (which I'm not sure of), then that should give you plenty variety.

donngold
12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
How do I assign assassins to cities please explain. I can't figure it out and I've been trying for days

LightRey
12-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by donngold:
How do I assign assassins to cities please explain. I can't figure it out and I've been trying for days
Simply move the cursor over a city in den defense and there will be an option to press the attack button to place recruits in the city.

donngold
12-22-2011, 04:59 AM
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Moultonborough
12-24-2011, 12:12 AM
I have been wondering this for awhile now. If the Assassins 100% a city in their control will it ever come under Templar attack again? Or is it safe forever?

LightRey
12-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Moultonborough:
I have been wondering this for awhile now. If the Assassins 100% a city in their control will it ever come under Templar attack again? Or is it safe forever?
The percentage can decrease again. Templars only attack it when it hits 0% though, so if you keep it up there the Templars won't attack.

TrueStoic
12-24-2011, 01:52 PM
i think that if you have all of your constantinople dens locked by master assassins, when your templar awarnes gets full and you stil do some nonsense they dont like ( further increasing the bar) they used to launch an atack on your den, but now do they attack one of your cities instead?

LightRey
12-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by TrueStoic:
i think that if you have all of your constantinople dens locked by master assassins, when your templar awarnes gets full and you stil do some nonsense they dont like ( further increasing the bar) they used to launch an atack on your den, but now do they attack one of your cities instead?
If it does, I haven't noticed, but it's possible.

Antioch55
03-17-2012, 01:05 AM
I was redirected to this thread because it was suppose to answer my question, but it didn't. My question is that why does the Assassin influence erode at a greater interval every 20 minute cycle each time. For example Alexandria, the city that I have held the longest goes straight down to 39% from 100%. When I first captured the city the influence would only drop by 2%. The 20 minute cycle before it was at 100% and went to 46% and then before that it would drop to 51% so it increases by 5% every 20 minute cycle. So pretty soon its going to drop straight to 0% with out me being able to fix it. Why is it doing this? Is this happening to anyone else? And yes I make sure that I bring it back up to 100% every time it drops. I have 4 level 10 assassins stationed there too.

LightRey
03-17-2012, 09:34 AM
I was redirected to this thread because it was suppose to answer my question, but it didn't. My question is that why does the Assassin influence erode at a greater interval every 20 minute cycle each time. For example Alexandria, the city that I have held the longest goes straight down to 39% from 100%. When I first captured the city the influence would only drop by 2%. The 20 minute cycle before it was at 100% and went to 46% and then before that it would drop to 51% so it increases by 5% every 20 minute cycle. So pretty soon its going to drop straight to 0% with out me being able to fix it. Why is it doing this? Is this happening to anyone else? And yes I make sure that I bring it back up to 100% every time it drops. I have 4 level 10 assassins stationed there too.
If you had read the OP properly, you'd have known that Assassin influence can be increased by completing missions in the city.

freddie_1897
03-17-2012, 09:40 AM
If you had read the OP properly, you'd have known that Assassin influence can be increased by completing missions in the city.
i think he wants to know how, or if there is a way to keep the assassin influence up permanently without having to constantly do missions

LightRey
03-17-2012, 09:41 AM
i think he wants to know how, or if there is a way to keep the assassin influence up permanently without having to constantly do missions
That is impossible as far as I know. The only effective way is to station recruits at the cities and periodically send them on missions.