PDA

View Full Version : Storm of War



Trinity_Jay
04-22-2010, 03:47 PM
S!

I have interviewed Oleg Maddox on Storm of War. Is it possible to put PDFs on this forum?

CPS is supplying Oleg with maps of all the RAF airfields during the battle. Woo hoo!

Cheers!

CPS_Bulldog

na85
04-22-2010, 03:57 PM
This forum doesn't have an "attach" feature. Just upload them to mediafire or something.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Ooh, yes, please post a link to this PDF please!

Trinity_Jay
04-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey Urufu and Na85!

Sure, I shall do this tomorrow when I am back in the office. It's a two-page spread and a great interview with the great man. I can't wait to share with you guys!

It's part of one of the America's biggest-selling aviation magazines (been told that I am not allowed to mention the title by another moderator).

Cheers!

CPS_Bulldog

knightflyte
04-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks Trinity_Jay. I'll look forward to reading this. Being that it's a Friday with the usual Oleg updaye, a double dose of goodness will be on tap tomorrow.

Trinity_Jay
04-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Grrrr. Photo Bucket will not allow me to post a PDF of the spread. Any suggestions? Am happy to send as an e-mail to someone to try their hand.

Jay aka CPS_Bulldog

jay@jayslater.co.uk

na85
04-23-2010, 12:46 AM
check your pm's

Manu-6S
04-23-2010, 01:19 AM
http://www.scribd.com/

For document only

Noxx0s
04-23-2010, 01:30 AM
please post this!!!

Manu-6S
04-23-2010, 01:44 AM
I've posted it on rapidshare http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks CPS_Bulldog!!

http://rapidshare.com/files/37...A-May10-p73.pdf.html (http://rapidshare.com/files/379104804/CA-May10-p73.pdf.html)

Trinity_Jay
04-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Heh, heh! You're welcome, my friends.

Do let me know what you think.

CPS_Bulldog

JG52Uther
04-23-2010, 02:01 AM
Thanks Jay.Nothing that has not been said before in other interviews though.

doogerie
04-23-2010, 02:07 AM
i am really excited now not to keen on the online conection thing but I am shour that Oleg can pull it off

Trinity_Jay
04-23-2010, 02:23 AM
Glad you liked it. Until I eventually get to test the sim, it's rather difficult to find new avenues of attack in covering the sim. However, Oleg just mailed me with his verdict:

Your English is perfect http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I like http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What a star is our Oleg!

Jay

DD_crash
04-23-2010, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Manu-6S:
I've posted it on rapidshare http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks CPS_Bulldog!!

http://rapidshare.com/files/37...A-May10-p73.pdf.html (http://rapidshare.com/files/379104804/CA-May10-p73.pdf.html)
Now not available http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Downloads exceeded http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Noxx0s
04-23-2010, 04:15 AM
Sonofa***** can someone upload it somewhere permanent??

At the very least email it to me? pretty please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

icyscythe AT gmail.com (no spaces)

Trinity_Jay
04-23-2010, 04:22 AM
I shall e-mail it to you now.

Jay

Manu-6S
04-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Sorry guys, did not know about the download limit at 10.

try here...

http://www.scribd.com/full/303...17v738ny20ljlqfyi6ww (http://www.scribd.com/full/30381093?access_key=key-17v738ny20ljlqfyi6ww)

Choctaw111
04-23-2010, 05:43 AM
Thanks for sharing this.
Any news from Oleg is good reading.

Chivas
04-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Excellent interview. I'm sure the graphics will be far better than FSX and WOP. FSX graphics are brutal at low level and WOP is very good but the maps are small, lack detail especially in transportation infrastructure, and the color palette is very limited.

na85
04-23-2010, 10:33 AM
mirror here (http://www.14jg5.com/nate/oleginterview.pdf)

Manu-6S
04-23-2010, 11:40 AM
WOWOWOWOWOW!!

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=14502

Uufflakke
04-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Here it is...

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/Uufflakke/Page1.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/Uufflakke/Page2.jpg

K_Freddie
04-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by mungee:
Would you mind e-mailing it to me down here in South Africa?

Rob don't be 'so desperate' as to advertise your email address so openly.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Codex1971
04-26-2010, 04:44 AM
No Dynamic Campaign http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Choctaw111
04-26-2010, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mungee:
Would you mind e-mailing it to me down here in South Africa?
My e-mail address is *****************

Rob don't be 'so desperate' as to advertise your email address so openly.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even if he edits his post, it will still be in yours.

K_Freddie
04-26-2010, 12:12 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
Thanks - sorted http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

M_Gunz
04-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Codex1971:
No Dynamic Campaign http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

As long as 3rd party daemons can work as they do now it is not a problem. See lowengrin.com.

WTE_Galway
04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Oleg :

Presently, the main weapon to fight against illegal distribution is constant or periodical online connection to a registration/protection server dedicated to the game.



... interesting ...

AndyJWest
04-26-2010, 05:49 PM
constant or periodical online connection...

Constant? No! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
Periodical - begs the question. Weekly? Daily? Hourly...

For anyone who hasn't been following the sorry Silent Hunter 5 DRM saga, there have been at least two postings from people who can't play SH5 through lack of an internet connection, where the reason was - you guessed it - they were at sea. One was serving on a submarine.

Oleg, please don't do this to us....

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Relax guys, Oleg has said several times that while he understands the reasons behind this type of protection he will not use it himself.

na85
04-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Good. If 1C pulls an Ubisoft with Storm of War I will be severely ****ed.

AndyJWest
04-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I hope you are right, U_S, but the last paragraph in the interview posted is a little ambiguous.

Codex1971
04-27-2010, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Codex1971:
No Dynamic Campaign http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

As long as 3rd party daemons can work as they do now it is not a problem. See lowengrin.com. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love his work but DCG always crashed my system in the past, might give it another whirl.

Copperhead310th
04-27-2010, 06:19 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif Sneaks in....

Ummm any word on WHEN???

I know i know back in my closet..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Slithers back out quietly.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Before October this year according to the horses mouth.

kimosabi79
04-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Relax guys, Oleg has said several times that while he understands the reasons behind this type of protection he will not use it himself.

Good to hear. I could make an exception for SoW though but that's a big maybe.

I really like that our planes will get more weathered along with the campaign. Immersive indeed! Hope they will sort out how to implement kill markings on the planes as well.

Chivas
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Hopefully it will come out this year. If we've been paying attention we will have noticed there have been many setbacks over the last five years. Software this complicated always has setbacks. Although I'm confindent it will come out within the next 10 months.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Actually, devopment has been pretty smooth if you ask me. A lot of folks missed some facts along the way, BoB when first announced was being built on a modified Il2 engine and most of the early development stuff (2005 etc.) was that version. Along the way Oleg and co. realized they needed to start from scratch, the current incarnation of SoW:BoB has only been in development for about two and a half years. That's almost no time at all in the game dev industry, esp. considering the scale of this project.

Chivas
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Actually, development has been pretty smooth if you ask me. A lot of folks missed some facts along the way, BoB when first announced was being built on a modified Il2 engine and most of the early development stuff (2005 etc.) was that version. Along the way Oleg and co. realized they needed to start from scratch, the current incarnation of SoW:BoB has only been in development for about two and a half years. That's almost no time at all in the game dev industry, esp. considering the scale of this project.

BOB was always going to have its own game engine, which evolved from the basic IL-2 engine that wasn't capable of adding the features that Oleg wanted for the series. BOB was announced in 2003 with a possible release in 2005. Fortunately or unfortunately Pacific fighters evolved into a full feature game that required Olegs teams assistance to complete. At this point it appears they decided to continue work on further addons rather than work on BOB right up to IL-2 1946. This basically stopped most work on BOB until around 2008. Your right that the game has only been in full development for the past two and half years. I'm sure the game engine has evolved continuously over the the last 7 years and will be continually tweaked as they add features.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Chivas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Actually, development has been pretty smooth if you ask me. A lot of folks missed some facts along the way, BoB when first announced was being built on a modified Il2 engine and most of the early development stuff (2005 etc.) was that version. Along the way Oleg and co. realized they needed to start from scratch, the current incarnation of SoW:BoB has only been in development for about two and a half years. That's almost no time at all in the game dev industry, esp. considering the scale of this project.

BOB was always going to have its own game engine, which evolved from the basic IL-2 engine that wasn't capable of adding the features that Oleg wanted for the series. BOB was announced in 2003 with a possible release in 2005. Fortunately or unfortunately Pacific fighters evolved into a full feature game that required Olegs teams assistance to complete. At this point it appears they decided to continue work on further addons rather than work on BOB right up to IL-2 1946. This basically stopped most work on BOB until around 2008. Your right that the game has only been in full development for the past two and half years. I'm sure the game engine has evolved continuously over the the last 7 years and will be continually tweaked as they add features. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure PF and 1946 contributed to delay SoW development, but some of the facts you have are wrong, unless you know something Oleg does not, because what I posted was precisely what Oleg revealed.

Chivas
04-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Actually, development has been pretty smooth if you ask me. A lot of folks missed some facts along the way, BoB when first announced was being built on a modified Il2 engine and most of the early development stuff (2005 etc.) was that version. Along the way Oleg and co. realized they needed to start from scratch, the current incarnation of SoW:BoB has only been in development for about two and a half years. That's almost no time at all in the game dev industry, esp. considering the scale of this project.

BOB was always going to have its own game engine, which evolved from the basic IL-2 engine that wasn't capable of adding the features that Oleg wanted for the series. BOB was announced in 2003 with a possible release in 2005. Fortunately or unfortunately Pacific fighters evolved into a full feature game that required Olegs teams assistance to complete. At this point it appears they decided to continue work on further addons rather than work on BOB right up to IL-2 1946. This basically stopped most work on BOB until around 2008. Your right that the game has only been in full development for the past two and half years. I'm sure the game engine has evolved continuously over the the last 7 years and will be continually tweaked as they add features. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure PF and 1946 contributed to delay SoW development, but some of the facts you have are wrong, unless you know something Oleg does not, because what I posted was precisely what Oleg revealed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what facts do I have wrong? I've been here since the IL-2 beta test days, and have followed the development of BOB from the start.

1. BOB was to have a much improved game engine from the beginning. I'm sure its configuration has changed many times since 2004.

2. Luthier couldn't complete the Pacific addon as its scope became to large so Oleg's team came in to help him finish it. In around 2005 all work on BOB stopped while the team built all the addons, Pacific theater thru IL-2 1946. Only a couple of guys worked periodically on BOB while the team worked on the addons.

3. Full work started on BOB after IL-2 1946 was released in approx 2008.

4. Also Luthiers team was pulled off the SOW Korean addon to help Olegs team complete BOB SOW.

M_Gunz
04-29-2010, 09:17 PM
SoW (BoB) is supposed to be a completely new game engine avoiding problems learned in making IL2.
That's more than an improved IL2.

Why are you so sure that "the configuration" has changed? What do you mean? Foundation level?
The name for that is scrap the project and start over unless you are fond of spaghetti with bug-sauce.

If you are not on the inside then you are just interpreting scant reports at best, we have never gotten
more than that.

How long did how many members of Maddox games work on PF? Round to months please. And for the addons?

How much of SoW:BoB is done and how much to go? Do you know this? Does Oleg?

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was just reiterating what Oleg said on the banana forum, I don't have the time to look for it, it may have even been in one of the larger interviews he's done recently, but he was asked about the long development time and that wa s the answer he gave, that dev time has only been about 2 years because they decided to start over from scratch, all 1946 era and before work on BoB and all info from that time was from il2 rework, then they decided to start new engine after 1946 came out and real development began. I'm not trying to say who's right and who's wrong, I was merely stating the info I got from Oleg. If Oleg is lying or whatever I don't care, it's not that big a deal.

Chivas
04-30-2010, 03:59 PM
No worries. I just remember Oleg saying it was going to be a new game engine back in 2004 and Ubisoft announced the SOW would be on a new game engine in 2006.

M_Gunz
04-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
he was asked about the long development time and that wa s the answer he gave, that dev time has only been about 2 years because they decided to start over from scratch, all 1946 era and before work on BoB and all info from that time was from il2 rework, then they decided to start new engine after 1946 came out and real development began.

1946 has FM elements from the SoW development up to then which was a complete rework of IL2 avoiding the mistakes
made in IL2. That's not to say it was IL2 with some changes.
Starting over after learning a lot more is a good thing rather than trying to twist what is recognized as flawed
into something new.
Maddox Games has weathered changes and gotten efficiency from their work that companies like Microprose, Dynamix
and Sierra to name three did not though Dynamix really did a nice job in their time. Not letting the publisher
call the shots was AFAIC one of the better decisions that Oleg made. Once bean counters and suits get control
it's always downhill from what I've seen. The team gets jerked around and the product suffers every time.