PDA

View Full Version : Got a Little Twinge of Nostalgia Recently...

Treetop64
09-27-2005, 07:48 PM
...and I reinstalled the original IL-2 Sturmovik with no patches.

I watched the opening intro with glee as it played absolutely flawlessly, with silky smooth framerates! I sat and thought, "Man, it is going to be so cool playing this game again after so many years, on a new system. I can't wait!"

Well, upon playing, the realization of how drastically improved this game has become came crashing down on me like a ton of bricks. My framerates were actually worse than on the latest merged version, (obviously, some optimization of the code has taken place), and the AI was completely brain-dead, as the baddies hardly used evasive maneuvers at all as I lit them up.

Speaking of being "lit up", I could hardly see what I was doing as the muzzle flash did all but permanently blind me!

I won't even get into how "plasticky" the flight model felt...

As good as the original piece was, it's junk now compared to the latest merged version with patches we now enjoy. I do believe we've all become a bit spoiled (to one degree or another, depending on who you are).

Needless to say, I freed up those 500 MB of hard drive space for more scenery files for by much beloved FS2004.

Treetop64
09-27-2005, 07:48 PM
...and I reinstalled the original IL-2 Sturmovik with no patches.

I watched the opening intro with glee as it played absolutely flawlessly, with silky smooth framerates! I sat and thought, "Man, it is going to be so cool playing this game again after so many years, on a new system. I can't wait!"

Well, upon playing, the realization of how drastically improved this game has become came crashing down on me like a ton of bricks. My framerates were actually worse than on the latest merged version, (obviously, some optimization of the code has taken place), and the AI was completely brain-dead, as the baddies hardly used evasive maneuvers at all as I lit them up.

Speaking of being "lit up", I could hardly see what I was doing as the muzzle flash did all but permanently blind me!

As good as the original piece was, it's junk now compared to the latest merged version with patches we now enjoy. I do believe we've all become a bit spoiled (to one degree or another, depending on who you are).

Needless to say, I freed up those 500 MB of hard drive space for more scenery files for by much beloved FS2004.

Waldo.Pepper
09-27-2005, 08:15 PM
I still have both demos installed. I hear ya.

woofiedog
09-28-2005, 02:44 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I still fire up the orginal once a while... I have one of the Demo's also.
Frame rates are Very Good on my Rig for both.... and I really like the sound of the orginal... out side of the bullets wizzing by you. But the engine and gunn's sound better to me over FB/Ace's/PF sound.
And of course there are the Square People doing the fighting in those games. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

scottmal1
09-28-2005, 04:05 AM
I agree with woofiedog, the sound on the original is much better, well on my rig anyway, there was a thread about Oleg saying the sound on fb/aep/pf was optimised for top notch soundcards and speakers, i'm using onboard ac97.

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-28-2005, 06:06 AM
About 6 months ago One of my kids wanted to check out "what I do on my pc" and give it a shot. I thought I'd give them my original IL2 disc and let them have fun.

I did the same thing. Installed flawlessly and proceeded to walk down nostalia lane as I tweaked it up for them and realized our current product is so vastly improved (and fun...for me at least) that I simply decided to go and grab another copy of the FB+AEP+PF and get them completely up to speed.

TB

triggerhappyfin
09-28-2005, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol...I remember how hard it was to even get aloft.. ThereāĀ“s still no opposition on the market, WoV is nothing compaired allthough they make an effort but Oleg still holds the top position.

Beirut
09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
I fire up the original Il2 quite often. And yes, the sound is much beefier.

On my AMD64-3000/9800Pro, I can have huge air battles and great FPS. Dozens and dozens of bombers and planes, wave upon wave. Can't do that in PF. Not until I have an AMD FX-57 CPU and a 7800 video card.

Obviously, FB+ACE+PF is a much better sim, but the original IL2, as far as A2A goes, still looks great, flies great, and, as you say, runs silky smooth with air battles that would crash your machine in PF.

ytareh
09-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Actually I reckon the game has a charm similar to the 'raw classic first album' of a mega rock band.

carguy_
09-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Heh,just leave IL2 for a week or two then get back to flying.Realy makes for a big whoa.