PDA

View Full Version : Extreme 3d Pro or Sidewinder FFB2

Zeynex
03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I can get both in almost brand new condition, but I don't know which to get. I have heard great things about the sidewinder but I'm unsure because it is pretty old.

Zeynex
03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I can get both in almost brand new condition, but I don't know which to get. I have heard great things about the sidewinder but I'm unsure because it is pretty old.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Sidewinder 100%! Logitech sticks have a bad reputation for breaking, and even if they didn't the FFB2 is still the one of the best sticks on the market!

R_Target
03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Sidewinder for sure.

Jim57
03-19-2009, 02:55 PM
I always used the Sidewinder 2 with the USB connection for IL2. Nice stick!

Just FYI:
I use a CH flightsim yoke and pedals for Flightsim 9/2004 which work great for that type of sim.

Jim

ytareh
03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Have used both and far prefer the Logitech ...so good I have bought 5 or 6 of them!And despite the bad press they dont all fail ,maybe one in five does...So comfortable ,such a strong,tight spring ...perfect !Even the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar doesnt come near it and its 5 or 6 times dearer!

Mr_Zooly
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
M$ sticks are almost as rare as hens teeth nowadays, I never really rated them but they are waaay better than anything logicrap have on offer.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-19-2009, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
so good I have bought 5 or 6 of them! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's generally the problem, lol! J/K, you said you haven't noticed that they fail a lot, why have you had to buy 5 or 6?

Zeynex
03-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks guys,

I'm just a bit worried because both of them are used, with the FFB2 being the green button version.

Main worries are:

Logitech: Already uncalibrated/dead

FFB2: Can't install on XP / Getting a little old.

R_Target
03-19-2009, 05:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
Have used both and far prefer the Logitech ...so good I have bought 5 or 6 of them!And despite the bad press they dont all fail ,maybe one in five does...So comfortable ,such a strong,tight spring ...perfect !Even the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar doesnt come near it and its 5 or 6 times dearer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ergonomics and spring tension are great on the Logitech, the electronics are just crap.

R_Target
03-19-2009, 05:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeynex:
Thanks guys,

I'm just a bit worried because both of them are used, with the FFB2 being the green button version.

Main worries are:

Logitech: Already uncalibrated/dead

FFB2: Can't install on XP / Getting a little old. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have USB FFB2 on XP 32-bit-no probs.

Bearcat99
03-19-2009, 05:16 PM
The FFB2 will do things no spring can.... I dont use the FFB.. I just use the stick for the stick tension since if I Alt+Tab or WIN key out of 46 I loose the FFB.. (It is a 46 issue... since one of the patches in 2.xx I think) but the stick tension features alone are great. How much are they charging for this stick?

Zeynex
03-19-2009, 05:43 PM
I think I'm lucky, they are charging about 20$

Pyrres
03-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Buy it! If you donīt like it I bet someone even in here is willing to buy it for good price. And then try the other. I have played with almost every joystick I have seen in shops, but still the good old MS Sidewinder FFB2 is the winner for me. For me it is the feel of the stick when flying, I can ride the stalls so easily, no springs to keep in mind, the centering forces work properly, and a big plus, it just does not seem to brake. I have had mine for maybe ten years now (I dont know how long, but since the release of it) and no problems at all.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-20-2009, 11:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zeynex:
I think I'm lucky, they are charging about 20$ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shoot, if you don't want it link me to it, I'll buy it!

B16Enk
03-22-2009, 10:54 AM
MSFFB2 easy choice.

The continuing 'rumour' that it doesn't work with XP is poppycock, even the SideWineder software works with XP and allows macros/button assignments.
(you will need to Enable DEP for joy.cpl reboot, use the software then disable DEP again and it will carry on working).

They work just fine with XP64/Vista/2008/Windows 7 too, although the SideWinder software doesn't.

$20 is a steal for one of these, I paid Ģ50 for my spare (or was it more??) that I have not yet used.

T_O_A_D
03-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeh, buy the MFFB if you don't send me the info and I will. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Chris0382
03-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Logitechs are known to have poor POTS and go out of calibration. 5-6 logitechs = 1 CH Prod Fighterstick that may last 10 years

Bearcat99
03-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Even if the stick has some issues (usually the trigger switch will go south.. but even that takes a while..) it is fixable.