PDA

View Full Version : Delete Topic!!!

smiler_16
04-24-2008, 02:59 AM
a

Driverman2006
04-24-2008, 01:15 PM
I voted "Yes".

Driver 1 started the whole "3D Driving Experience" (according to what many reviewers say).

kalle90
04-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes

Thing is can they surpass it, like Nintendo has done quite a many times with Mario.

How to surpass what GTAIV seems to be? Seems to have pretty much everything I have wished here. Small extras wouldn't do much.

driver_madness
04-27-2008, 04:16 AM
so what do you think, would the Gaming industry be exciting without the full 3D freeroaming feature.

Driver with out a doubt.

Even if GTA didn't exist I'm sure the driver series would have taken the direction it did. It was never about copying another game it was always about which game more popular.

Of course back then gta wasn't popular, it felt to retro.

Driver defaintly was the first 3d free road driver game, except I think Midtown Madness may have been released a month or two before. But Midtown Madness felt very unrealistic with frustrating to use unrealitic handing. Driver brought us much more. (Well in reality driver was released first in pal regions, in NTSC regions Midtown Madness was released first) but who cares what was released first. They both were unable to copy ideas so that's the end of that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

so anyways driver had it all physics, large cities, great graphics http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But saying the world wouldn't have full freeroaming features if driver didn't exist is being a bit of a stretch. It would have happened, GTA would always be planning to go 3d, maybe not as fast as they did but they would have.

InsaneDriver06
04-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Yes, it was the first driving 3D game I can think of that let you drive anywhere in the map on the PS1. There are other games, such as Colecovision's "Dukes of Hazzard" that did allow you to drive down different alleys when in town only, but the rest of it was one road. Then there was Outrun, which let you choose the road you wanted to take, but that's not true open freedom either, so yes, Driver 1.

Driver 2 was the first I can think of that let you walk outside your vehicle in an open map.

Then GTA3 hit, and expanded the character's abilities beyond just walking, making the character the star of the game, over the vehicles.

Although Driver 1 and 2 offered a new open freedom in Driving games, it seems it wasn't until after GTA3's huge success, others began following the "open world" freedom gameplay.

GameOn1987
04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
I can tell you right now that what you think of Driver: You Are The Wheelman is wrong. If it wasn't for those way earlier open-ended games (Quarrantine, which came out in 1994), Metroid , and several others, this sub-genre, or theme, wouldn't have been possible. GTA 1 brought the genre to a new and interesting direction. Though it may have not been the most unique title out at its time, it was the first game to ever bring to players the ability to play as a bad guy. Driver 1 simply took the realism of Driving games further, but I don't know if I consider above GT. Although D1 & D2 were the first open-ended 3-D games, they didn't cause massive audiences to buy them.

It wasn't until GTA III came out that this was seen possible. The idea of being a bad guy and taking the concept of GTA from 2-D to 3-D was such a brilliant idea. Not only did GTA III take open-ended gameplay to a whole new level, within the 3-D world, but it even presented an impressive and original storyline. Driver: You Are The Wheelman did have a unique storyline and offered great features to drive around, but it didn't hit the games industry as hard as GTA III. As for D2, it received many mixed reviews and only brought a very tiny portion of on-foot into the 3-D world of video games, so that didn't do much justice either. And if you think about it, knowing that 3-D games were already out at that time, it was only a matter of time before a game would take the open-world elements and push them into the 3rd dimension.

Oh, and actually, you're wrong about Driver being the first ever 3-D free roam game. It was actually Rockstar North's 1998 game, Body Harvest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Harvest) that brought forth the idea to go anywhere and doing anything, for a 3-D game. Driver came out one year later. Driver was the first realistic driving game done in 3-D and following the free roam elements, but it actually was Body Harvest that brought 3-D free roaming first. Also, it should be known that Body Harvest was actually the inspiration for Rockstar North's GTA III because it feels just like it. So, maybe it was Body Harvest that inspired every game to move into open-world/free-roam gameplay and to do it in 3-D.