PDA

View Full Version : Wings Of The Red Star - Il-2

Breeze147
08-03-2006, 07:10 AM
It was on again last night on the Military Channel. A very interesting fact I found out that I never took note of before is that there were 3 all-woman squadrons of PE-2's. It was stated that the stick was so heavy that on takeoff, the women pilots would have the navigator stand behind them and help pull back the stick. Interesting.

Breeze147
08-03-2006, 07:10 AM
It was on again last night on the Military Channel. A very interesting fact I found out that I never took note of before is that there were 3 all-woman squadrons of PE-2's. It was stated that the stick was so heavy that on takeoff, the women pilots would have the navigator stand behind them and help pull back the stick. Interesting.

CzechTexan
08-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Yes, I recall that episode from a few years ago. Having help to pull back on the stick is also mentioned in books about those female pilots. Some day I'd like to create some missions about that group. It's made possible, finally, now that we have the Pe-2.

Kocur_
08-03-2006, 08:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">P-63C KingCobra "Gift From Kolkhoze Workers in the name of Lenin Vitebsk Province" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, those guys went to US and worked in Bell factory for free?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Tooz_69GIAP
08-03-2006, 11:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">P-63C KingCobra "Gift From Kolkhoze Workers in the name of Lenin Vitebsk Province" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The workers will have stumped up the cash to pay for the aircraft.

Kocur_
08-03-2006, 11:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The workers will have stumped up the cash to pay for the aircraft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pay whom? That was a Bell P-63! Delivered to Soviet Union under Lend-Lease! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Now collecting money by workers would make sense in case of Soviet-made planes, and Im willing to belive it happened, but in case of those delivered under L-L its just propaganda - and silly if you know the full picture, which surely was not the case of most of Soviet citizens during WW2.

PBNA-Boosher
08-03-2006, 03:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Breeze147:
It was on again last night on the Military Channel. A very interesting fact I found out that I never took note of before is that there were 3 all-woman squadrons of PE-2's. It was stated that the stick was so heavy that on takeoff, the women pilots would have the navigator stand behind them and help pull back the stick. Interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RUBBISH! WRONG! DRAT! FILTH!
Don't believe everything you hear on the Discovery channel. I watched that episode and was disgusted with some inaccuracies. I'll just point out the major one in your post (not your fault, blame Discovery)

There were NOT 3 all female squadrons of Pe-2 bombers.

There WERE 3 designated female squadrons set up in October, 1941. They were headed by Marina Raskova, who was killed in a plane crash while ferrying her Pe-2 to Engels for training. (she was a navigator, only recently trained to be a pilot) The squadrons set up there were at first comprised entirely of women. There was the 586 IAP, flying Yak-1 aircraft. This was an air defense squadron, totaling 56 kills during the war. The low kill count for the unit is because of their basic duty. They would patrol over bridges, targets of importance, etc... behind the front lines to protect them. They were not usually met with enemy activity. However, they did produce two well known aces after these girls were transferred to male units:

Yekaterina Budanova- sent to (I think) 296 IAP, KIA in 1943. Confirmed kills is around 6-8 (can't remember exact number) Kill claims went up to as high as 20.

Lidiya "Lilya" Litvyak- also known as "The White Rose of Stalingrad," due to the rumor that she painted a white lily on the side of her Yak-1b aircraft in the months before she was killed in Action. She achieved a total of 12 confirmed aerial kills before finally being killed herself.

The women at Engels also formed 2 other divisions. These divisions later became famous and promoted to Guards status.

587 BAP/ 125th Marina Raskova Guards Bomber Regiment- This unit flew the Pe-2 aircraft. It, along with the 586 IAP, had men in it due to the shortage of women in some crews as well as the fact that there were just some things that the women were not easily able to do.

588 NBAP/ 46th Taman Guards Night Bomber Regiment- This unit flew the outdated Po-2/U-2VS aircraft. Their job was simple. Bomb enemy troop positions at night so they couldn't get sleep. They did their job surprisingly well.

I suggest you read Anne Noggle's "A Dance with Death," published by the Texas A&M University Press. It's no longer in print, but it is a compilation of the real women telling their own stories. It's a thrilling read. Okay, that's my .02 cents.

Breeze147
08-04-2006, 07:05 AM
Hey, Boosher, you have to love the way Peter Ustinov says "Sturmovik", anyway. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif