PDA

View Full Version : Flying the P47

cmorris975
08-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Hi there,

I am currently trying to learn the P-47D-10 in IL2 and have some questions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. First, is there any kind of indication when the supercharger is working? Would I get an obvious RPM boost?

Also, when I adjust mixture I see no levers moving in the cockpit. Again should I check RPM to see if I am affecting anything?

Thanks,

Chris

VW-IceFire
08-28-2011, 10:38 PM
So far as the supercharging is concerned it is always on as it is in most or all aircraft in WWII using superchargers. There are stages that some switch at but to my knowledge the P-47 doesn't have that.

The 47 instead has a unique turbosupercharger. So both systems are present in this aircraft which is what gives it the incredible high altitude performance like few other fighters.

The P-47 cockpit is not well put together (I feel like it was a rush job... I don't remember the whole story on it) so I wouldn't be surprised if some animations aren't working. That said it's a mostly automatic aircraft so even with CEM on I wouldn't worry too much. Concentrate on flying it... which is a bit more challenging here than with most.

WTE_Galway
08-28-2011, 10:57 PM
I never fly the P47 so someone with more experience may correct me on this.

As far as I remember the mixture lever on a P47 is the red ball with M on it next to the throttle lever in cockpit view.

In IL2_1946 I had the impression the P47 mixture lever is not animated, it never moves, and I am not even sure the mixture keys do anything at all. I suspect the plane had an "auto rich" feature and they simply did not bother animating the lever.

As for the supercharger, I believe its actually a turbo charger in the tail and hence has no "stages" to change. I think the superchargers with stages where the geared ones driven by a shaft not the turbochargers.

You will find a good cockpit and controls guide here:

http://www.mission4today.com/i...file=details&id=3265 (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3265)

Tully__
08-29-2011, 12:02 AM
P-47 was as stated by IceFire, a combined turbo-supercharger. The turbo pre-compressed the incoming air and fed it to the supercharger, which further pressurised it before feeding it to the engine. The turbocharger was wastegated to limit the maximum precompression, resulting in constant manifold pressure up to somewhere well over 20000ft (not sure of the exact alt).

In game the mixture shouldn't need adjustment until you get up to the altitude where the turbocharger boost starts dropping off. IIRC it's around the 7000m / 23000ft mark but I haven't flown a P47 in the most recent patch versions. Take one for a spin and check for yourself, you need to back off the mixture a bit when the exhaust smoke starts showing black.

Luno13
08-29-2011, 01:39 AM
Even at max alt in QMB (30000 ft), I've never had smoke coming out of a P-47...

The supercharger has been adequately described already.

The mixture is set at auto permanently as in most US aircraft. You might be able to over-rich to %120 to dump more fuel in to cool the engine, but you can't lean, and therefore you also can't shutoff the engine properly (lean until it cuts out). I wish mixture could be toggled like auto-prop pitch, but we'll see if it happens.

cmorris975
08-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Great info, much appreciated all.

Chris