PDA

View Full Version : The 4077th M*A*S*H Unit

PBNA-Boosher
12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Did you grow up watching these shows? They're playing them on the Hallmark channel now, I love it.

BSS_CUDA
12-22-2005, 04:09 PM
without a doubt. the first one's were a little sappy and more slapstick than funny, but the later ones were ground breaking in a lot of ways. I remember one episode where they put you inside the camera, you became the soldier that was injured during combat. the later ones truly put a human side to the war.

knightflyte
12-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Cuda,
I liked that episode a lot.
I also liked the episode where everyone in the M*A*S*H unit had to respond to students from Hawkeye's home town of Crab Apple Cove, Maine.

georgeo76
12-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Probably the best TV show ever.

waffen-79
12-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah! Love the show, that chemistry between Alda and Rogers was awesome

I'm a little bit like Alan Alda's character (Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce)so cocky and girls love that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PBNA-Boosher
12-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by knightflyte:
Cuda,
I liked that episode a lot.
I also liked the episode where everyone in the M*A*S*H unit had to respond to students from Hawkeye's home town of Crab Apple Cove, Maine.

Haven't seen that episode yet, I hope to soon.

AKA_TAGERT
12-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
Did you grow up watching these shows? They're playing them on the Hallmark channel now, I love it. I can not enjoy them anymore.. the libral undertones in them are so distasteful now.

Tully__
12-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
Did you grow up watching these shows? They're playing them on the Hallmark channel now, I love it. I can not enjoy them anymore.. the libral undertones in them are so distasteful now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Leave the politics at home please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

WTE_Ibis
12-23-2005, 03:16 AM
Scene: seats set up around a particular tent.
Action: sides of tent roll up.
Reaction: Hotlips drops to the floor of shower tent.
Sorry for the sexist view but man that was funny.
This was one of the greatest TV series ever made as Catch22 was a great movie,and an even better book.

WTE_Ibis
12-23-2005, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
Did you grow up watching these shows? They're playing them on the Hallmark channel now, I love it. I can not enjoy them anymore.. the libral undertones in them are so distasteful now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I made a comment but thought better of it and removed said comment.

Merry Christmas to all, Tagert included.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

PBNA-Boosher
12-23-2005, 09:58 AM
ah, well, any other opinions?

Airmail109
12-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Tagert cant even spell Liberal right...... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

han freak solo
12-23-2005, 10:19 AM
I too watched MASH and the reruns after the show was over. Not anymore though.

I like the movie still. Liked the book as well.

I have fonder memories of this show though. Who doesn't want nurses like that?
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/C/htmlC/chinabeach/chinabeachIMAGE/chinabeach.jpg

http://users.1st.net/danapage/dd_cbh13.jpg

CHINA BEACH (http://users.1st.net/danapage/chinabeach.htm)

blairgowrie
12-23-2005, 10:52 AM
I have to agree that this might be the best series ever for TV. Even after 40 years it is still fresh, relevant and funny.

An absolute great cast of actors and characters. Radar O'Reilly, Major Burns, Hot Lips and both Colonels and as someone else has pointed out, the gorgeous nurses.

wayno7777
12-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Still like the theme song, Suicide Is Painless. Didn't they use the version with lyrics at the end of the last show or was that the movie?

PBNA-Boosher
12-23-2005, 11:51 AM
I've seen an episode or 2 of China Beach, but I must say I wasn't as captivated as I was with M*A*S*H.

Dunkelgrun
12-23-2005, 12:08 PM
MASH was also a big hit here in the UK. It was shown without the laughter track over here; plus, as it was on the Beeb, without adverts.
I remember Alan Alda saying that's the way he preferred it too.

Great show, though it hasn't been repeated for quite a while now.

Cheers!

Tallyho1961
12-23-2005, 12:15 PM
One of the all-time classics, without a doubt.

Frank Burns was worth the price of admission.

Anybody remember the Captain Flag character?

AKA_TAGERT
12-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Tully__:
Leave the politics at home please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif IRONIC.. one of the concurrent themes in the MASH series was that hippy/beatnik attitude about getting the word out.. Free speech will set you free. Now, here we are and political correctness will not allow me to call it like it is and was. The way I see it, MASH was a bash America show that all the hippy/yuppies in the 70s and 80s liked to watch.

knightflyte
12-23-2005, 01:12 PM
China Beach was a great show.......

Did you happen to see the series finale, HansFreakSolo?

There was a young man who was injured critically. The only thing keeping him from dying was the presure bandaging. Once those are let loose he's bleed out and fall asleep into death.

Dana Delaney's character was responsable for caring for him, and they were talking. He had so much to look forward to. He had a girlfriend who he was looking to marry when he got back. He just couldn't wait to kiss her.

But he never made it back. As the bandages were released he knew he wasn't going to make it. He mumbled how he wanted to kiss his girlfriend goodbye, and Dana kissed him as he passed. Just an innocent kiss. Nothing sexual about it. It really was well done. Certainly better than I'm explaining it.

The M*A*S*H episode I was refering to about the school letters from Crab Apple Cove was so well done.

It rained the whole episode. (If I remember right it was in Black and White...tho not posative)

Hawkeye got the worst letter that dealt with a student whose brother was killed in Korea. He was filled with hate and angre and wanted some sort of answer from whoever read his letter that would put in perspective death.... war.... why are we here if we can't get along and we need to send brothers to die.

There is a subplot that ties the whole thing together and makes the episode memorable to me.

blairgowrie
12-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Tallyho1961:
One of the all-time classics, without a doubt.

Frank Burns was worth the price of admission.

Anybody remember the Captain Flag character?

Yes,I remember him well. Talk about paranoia. He would make some of the people around here look almost normal.

knightflyte
12-23-2005, 01:17 PM
I know M*A*S*H didn't use a laugh track in the OR, but the laugh track was removed during the other parts? WOW.

I wonder how I would react to seeing the show so many times, and then seeing it sans laugh track?

telsono
12-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Wayno7777,

The theme song with the lyrics was part of the original movie.
Another musical note with the series was when Captain Spalding joined the show. He was American folk singer Laudon Wainwright III. His most famous song to my memory was "Dead Skunk" previous to his appearance on MASH.
In the original movie there was a definite anti-Vietnam war theme. If you took a look of the clothing for the Koreans, it was more appropriate for Vietnam, especially the hats which was done on purpose. The TV series was more realistic as to the dress of the Koreans.

knightflyte
12-23-2005, 01:24 PM
I want to thank you telsono for helping me.

I am no longer singing 'Grandma got Run Over By a Reindeer.'

'You got your dead skunk in the middle of the road.....'

Oh, it's gonna be a long night!

Dunkelgrun
12-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by knightflyte:
I want to thank you telsono for helping me.

I am no longer singing 'Grandma got Run Over By a Reindeer.'

'You got your dead skunk in the middle of the road.....'

Oh, it's gonna be a long night!

Don't forget the 'Swimming Song'...

Last summer I went swimming
Last summer I might have drowned
But I held my breath and I kicked my legs
And I moved my arms around, I moved my arms around.

Classic!
Cheers!

WTE_Ibis
12-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Humpty Dumpty was a communist and Mash an evil plot to undermine the values of Cpt.America.
Sorry, got carried away there a little.
Signed Mr.McCarthy.

partic_3
12-24-2005, 01:00 AM
I was about to mention that I though Frank Burns the funniest character in history but along comes AKA_TAGERT and trumps him!!
"libral"... priceless!

Freelancer-1
12-24-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by georgeo76:
Probably the best TV show ever.

Right behind All In The Family. Archie and Edith... what a perfect pair to have playing off each other. Loved it.

AKA_TAGERT
12-24-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by partic_3:
I was about to mention that I though Frank Burns the funniest character in history but along comes AKA_TAGERT and trumps him!!
"libral"... priceless! How very UN-M*A*S*H of you?

Shouldn€t you just hug me and we all sing Koom by ya? That should fix everything! At least it did on M*A*S*H.

Either way, looks like I struck a nerve.. Sorry if I upset you all, but M*A*S*H was an anti American show, plane an simple, that fit right in with the hippy themes and mind set of that era.

I'm just glad to see that mind set (along with the old hippies) is on it€s way out and we are headed back (pendulum swings) to a pre-60s, pre-hippy, pre-drug induced way of thinking. Where things are more black and white. Where people have to pick a side instead of living on the fence. Where people take responsibly for their actions and don€t rely on some psychobabble to come up with an excuse for them based on the fact that when they were 3 they had a red tricycle instead of a pink one.

PS Merry Xmas!

WTE_Ibis
12-26-2005, 02:48 AM
Merry Xmas m8.