PDA

View Full Version : AI Damage Modeling

Snerdley
04-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Ok I'm sure this has been discussed before, but a search didn't show my question (as opposed to similar topic, different question)...

I DO love the game, and play enough that my wife is tired of hearing lead curse at me for not keeping formation...

But, why is it that when I play vs AI (which is 99% of the time) that I can get behind a guy and hammer him with 6 or 8 .50 cals and watch him fly along forever?

My convergence is on, I see impact flashes, and 'parts' are falling off, yet still he flies. Not just flies but manuevers.

I'll buy the argument that its tougher to get good hits from 6 o'clock, but if that's the case, then why is it that when I get tagged by the AI from behind, its BANG - BANG - Elevator Controls? Or BANG - BANG - Aileron Controls?

I mean I'm hearing two hits on my plane and I'm not just out of the fight, I'm struggling to bring it home.

Same thing for AA. I'm jinking along at 2000m, and BANG, no more oil. Or BANG, no -insert flight control here-. One hit and I'm finished. Yet the AI soaks it up.

And how long do their engines run without oil? I'm good for five minutes or so. I've watched AI fly all the way home and land with thick black smoke pouring from both engines...

Off for another mission...
Snerdley

Snerdley
04-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Ok I'm sure this has been discussed before, but a search didn't show my question (as opposed to similar topic, different question)...

I DO love the game, and play enough that my wife is tired of hearing lead curse at me for not keeping formation...

But, why is it that when I play vs AI (which is 99% of the time) that I can get behind a guy and hammer him with 6 or 8 .50 cals and watch him fly along forever?

My convergence is on, I see impact flashes, and 'parts' are falling off, yet still he flies. Not just flies but manuevers.

I'll buy the argument that its tougher to get good hits from 6 o'clock, but if that's the case, then why is it that when I get tagged by the AI from behind, its BANG - BANG - Elevator Controls? Or BANG - BANG - Aileron Controls?

I mean I'm hearing two hits on my plane and I'm not just out of the fight, I'm struggling to bring it home.

Same thing for AA. I'm jinking along at 2000m, and BANG, no more oil. Or BANG, no -insert flight control here-. One hit and I'm finished. Yet the AI soaks it up.

And how long do their engines run without oil? I'm good for five minutes or so. I've watched AI fly all the way home and land with thick black smoke pouring from both engines...

Off for another mission...
Snerdley

J_Weaver
04-24-2006, 07:49 PM
I've often wondered the same thing. However, sometimes I think the ai are shot up worse than we think.

Nimits
04-24-2006, 09:26 PM
AI don't suffer from engine overheats the same way we do (if at all), and in version 4.04m, at least some AI aircraft have a significant energy boost vis a vis the human (or AI in 4.03-), so they could quite possibly be "super gliding" even after they engine is more or less out of commission.

panzerd18
04-25-2006, 12:58 AM
The AI in this game piss me off. That's why I enjoy playing online.

leitmotiv
04-25-2006, 05:49 AM
I play the AI 100% of the time and I am quite satisfied with the damage model, i.e., when I shoot well they go down and when I don't they do not. I suspect you may be shooting from too far out because the 6-8 50 cal. battery is devastating. Try 100 meter convergence and shooting at close range. Your targets should not be so frisky after this change. Erich Hartmann and many of the other aces advised shooting only when the target is extremely close because (1) missing is hard at point-blank range, and (2) the muzzle velocity of your guns is at maximum giving you best penetration. You will probably smash into your target frequently until you get the hang of attacking close. As for seeing apparent damage (impact flashes, bits flying), do you examine your targets closely on your tracks to check your hitting? Many times flickers and bits can just be superficial damage, ricochets, etc. If you are blowing big holes in your targets and they still aren't going down, something is wrong.