PDA

View Full Version : The tides of pacific has rolled over to Europe

jugent
11-12-2005, 03:03 AM
I thought that the launch of Pacific fighters should put focus on the game to the pacific.

But according to what is posted on this forum, the winds of change is on german/RAF/USAF fighters by "improvements" on their characteristics.
The VVS aircrafts has according to my subjective opinion slowly and unnoticed creeped back to "good ol days" of Forgotten battles where I-16, Lagg3 dominated the virtual skies.

I remember one occasion on WEF where 6 Me-109 F2 attacked a I-16, the I-16 took down three Me before it was killed by a PK? and went down.
It was immune to german MG-fire.
One one of the earlier patches of Pacific fighters I encountered some I-16 in my Ki-43 la, and shoot down two by my double mg, their engines cought fire.

That would have been impossible "in the good ol days"

Many servers on hyperlobby, I havnt tried them all, are used by "pilots" that fly german or USAF/RAF aircrafts, and many of them dont eaven make it possible to choose JN, JA, VVS aircrafts.

But has focus turned from the pacific theatre to USAF/RAF/LW.

Pirschjaeger
11-12-2005, 07:46 AM
To be honest I was quite excited about PF before it was released. The thought of landing/take offs on carriers was intriguing. My first goal was to land a He111 on a deck. After countless tries I finally did it, but have to admit I spead up the carrier to make it possible.

PF was a big let down for me. Even with good graphics I could never get the feeling of alt over water like I do over land. The planes turned out to be somewhat boring compared to those in the European theater.

Too many details to mention for my dislike of PF. I guess it simply doesn't suit my tastes. I'm not a gamer or a flight simmer since I exclusively fly IL-2 so that may make a difference too.

I just wish I could bring AEP up to 4.02 without having to install PF.

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
11-12-2005, 07:48 AM
On second thought, I think I just realized the reason I dislike the Pacific theater. There were no German, Polish, or French women. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Although Filippino women are so sweet. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Fritz http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

VW-IceFire
11-12-2005, 09:32 AM
I think the crowds are largely Eurocentric so you're still going to see quite a few people on these forums talking about Europe no matter what.

I'm enjoying the Pacific...I've made missions and campaigns for the Pacific theater and I really like the variety it gives us.

AVG_WarHawk
11-12-2005, 11:12 AM
.... The planes turned out to be somewhat boring compared to those in the European theater.
Fritz

More accurately, the flyable plane-set turned out to be incomplete. Leaving most with a rather somber aftertaste. I was very disappointed in this respect. The South Pacific women were under modeled as well.

joeap
11-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:

Fritz

Welll IMO lots of the PF content can be used in Europe. We can use the Illustrious and the CVEs (esp. looking forward to dive bombing the Tirpitz in the upcoming Norway map). Not to mention the Beaufighter and the A20 among many others.

Personally I enjoy flying the USN planes and even more the Japanese planes.

LEXX_Luthor
11-12-2005, 05:27 PM
PF was not really ready. For me, the lack of usable maps for land based air warfare cripples the sim. Since the title is Pacific Fighters, I can't complain about the lack of a wide bomber set, although I am sad about this. However, operating from the PF carriers is the best ever made for any flight sim made yet, and shows the FB game engine is Perfect for Pacific Theater, if only the maps were made to represent Pacific rather than Europe. The fighters, bombers, and carrier dive bombers that did make it into the sim are truly impressive indeed.

SBD can allow the player to fly formation with AI Su-2 and engage in 1941 ground attack. D3A with some player restrictions (limited throttle for example) can make a passable Flyable R-10. Ki-61 may make a He-100D, although it may turn to well for that. Not sure.

Pirschjaeger
11-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by joeap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:

Fritz

Welll IMO lots of the PF content can be used in Europe. We can use the Illustrious and the CVEs (esp. looking forward to dive bombing the Tirpitz in the upcoming Norway map). Not to mention the Beaufighter and the A20 among many others.

Personally I enjoy flying the USN planes and even more the Japanese planes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I love the A20. I handles like a dream and is great for aerobatics. I've even flown it inverted under a bridge and survived. When offline, I like going up against 8 AI IL-2s.

But, my PF cds don't work anymore. My buddy's flight path has changed to ShangHai for a few months so it's not so easy to get a new set from the US, and no, I do not use the Chinese mail system. Somehow they managed to lose a 1kg sample of aluminium **** from Serbia after it entered China. Not good for business.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I do love the A20 though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
11-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by AVG_WarHawk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.... The planes turned out to be somewhat boring compared to those in the European theater.
Fritz

More accurately, the flyable plane-set turned out to be incomplete. Leaving most with a rather somber aftertaste. I was very disappointed in this respect. The South Pacific women were under modeled as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I guess it has more to do with expectations. I really had high expectations so it was quite a letdown when the game finally came out. One plane I was really looking forward to(sorry, forget the name) was the American one that holds the torpedo in the fuselage and has two gunner positions. We have it but it's not flyable. I was drooling at the thought of attacking Japanese carriers at Midway. Well, the drool has since dried up.

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
11-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Oh yes, I also expected "Dolittle's" mission. Modified B-25's off the deck, bombing Japanese cities, and having to crashland in China.

Like I said, too many expectations. I learnt a valuable lesson from this and try to block even the slightest thought of BoB. I don't want to ruin another sim for myself. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fritz

TacticalYak3
11-12-2005, 08:19 PM
While I enjoy PF, I too prefer Eastern and Western fronts.

I think one of the key factors for the lack of the anticipated success of the Pacific theatre was that the Axis (Japanese) planeset wasn't capable in that they are too easy to damage or destroy in this game.

It seems to me that the Japanese main tactic was attacking the enemy in large number and without hesitation. This isn't duplicated when the teams are required to be even.

Of course they have some wonderful planes, but most online folks seem reluctant to fly them due to their glass-chins.

TS!

Enforcer572005
11-12-2005, 09:04 PM
This state of affairs, as has been discussed at length, was primarily caused by unexpected legal concerns apparently. It especially caused the lack of a sufficient surface ship force and flyable torp birds i believe. The small size of teh maps is kinda contrary to pacific conditions also, especially concerning the incomplete map of Guadalcanal with almost no surrounding areas where most of the naval and air action took place.

Kinda hard to imagine the russain version of this (called pearl harbor there).....i just cant see British BBs standing in for the battleship line at Pearl etc.

Perhaps future developements concerning user made material using codes etc may adress some of this. I think the carrier performance is actually the most realistic of any sim.Certainly better than MS CFS2.

Nevertheless, it still gave us alot of great stuff, and the carrier ops are great....though would be better wiht more user made cmpns i believe. The europe and VVS aspects are just more developed materially.

hugohugo37
11-12-2005, 09:17 PM
I like to fly offline dynamic campaigns and PF is lacking in this department. There are relatively few of them and they all seem to have long flying times to and from the target. Even with speeding up the time they get boring/frustrating. I realise that this is probably realistic but I like to shoot things and blow things up. Flying in a straight line in formation doesn't do much for me. I waste enough time on this game as it is.

Pirschjaeger
11-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by hugohugo37:
I like to fly offline dynamic campaigns and PF is lacking in this department. There are relatively few of them and they all seem to have long flying times to and from the target. Even with speeding up the time they get boring/frustrating. I realise that this is probably realistic but I like to shoot things and blow things up. Flying in a straight line in formation doesn't do much for me. I waste enough time on this game as it is.

Have you ever tried SH3? Nice game, good graphics, but it requires too much time; the seas are big. If you use excellerated time you will only find out your are being attacked when it's too late. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Yes, I agree, too much time is needed for many missions. My favorite missions have always started with the word "scramble". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fritz