PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out old drivers

blairgowrie
08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
I just read the following in a industry newsletter and I thought some of you might benefit from it.

"When you remove hardware from your computer, the listing for it simply disappears from the device manager, but often times the drivers are left behind to hang around.

Right-click "My Computer" > "Properties" > "Advanced" tab. Click on "Environment Variables" Below the bottom Environment Variables window pane (System Variables), click on "New " For Variable Name, enter devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and for the Variable Value, enter 1
Click OK to close "Environment Variables" and OK again to close "System Properties"

Now, open up the Device Manager and go to "View" and select "Show Hidden Devices". The hidden devices will appear to be grayed-out. You will need to be careful about what it is you want to remove. If you're familiar with your hardware, you can easily remove entries for PCI cards, extra drives, printers, and other USB/FireWire devices. Otherwise, it is suggested to leave everything else mostly alone unless you are completely sure of what you're doing.

Once you're done, you can delete the Environment Variable you created in the directions above."

blairgowrie
08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
I just read the following in a industry newsletter and I thought some of you might benefit from it.

"When you remove hardware from your computer, the listing for it simply disappears from the device manager, but often times the drivers are left behind to hang around.

Right-click "My Computer" > "Properties" > "Advanced" tab. Click on "Environment Variables" Below the bottom Environment Variables window pane (System Variables), click on "New " For Variable Name, enter devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and for the Variable Value, enter 1
Click OK to close "Environment Variables" and OK again to close "System Properties"

Now, open up the Device Manager and go to "View" and select "Show Hidden Devices". The hidden devices will appear to be grayed-out. You will need to be careful about what it is you want to remove. If you're familiar with your hardware, you can easily remove entries for PCI cards, extra drives, printers, and other USB/FireWire devices. Otherwise, it is suggested to leave everything else mostly alone unless you are completely sure of what you're doing.

Once you're done, you can delete the Environment Variable you created in the directions above."

FoolTrottel
08-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Great info, good to know, Thanks!

So... here's a BUMP!

(Just wondering if this should be added to the 'User fixes that may help others' thread?)

blairgowrie
08-20-2006, 05:10 AM
And here is another gem I found for starting your cumputer to remove old drivers in safe mode. I have two computers and can never get into safe mode by pressing f8 on reboot. Instead try this:

System Configuration Utility Method.

* While in Normal mode, Close all programs.
* Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
* In the System Configuration Utility, on the General Tab, click the Advanced Button
* In the Advanced Troubleshooting Settings dialog box, check Enable Startup Menu. Click OK. Click OK again when the System Configuration Utility reappears.
* You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes. The computer will restart in Safe mode.
* When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again and uncheck "Enable Start-up Menu." under the Advanced Menu, then click OK and restart your computer