PDA

View Full Version : Enemy pilots' interactions on the ground?

noobisoft
07-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Does anyone know of an actual occurrence or occurrences from WWII in which competing enemy pilots baled out and encountered each other on the ground? If so, could you please refer me to the stories or links? I found myself wondering if the pilots would avoid each other and flee to friendly territory, or seek each other out to either continue their combat in person or treat each other as respected peers. This question came to mind because I saw a German and a Russian pilot bale out and land in roughly the same area while flying in campaign mode yesterday. The two pilots were both aces.

Incidentally, the same mission included my first career mode combat kill of an enemy AI fighter! I was in an IL-2 and finally got the bugger (in a BF-109) while he was at the top of a climb getting set to dive back down on me. I managed to shoot his wing off as he was nosing over. It was as much luck as skill, but it felt really good after getting shot up and out flown by those buggers so much! (I need lots of practice and would benefit from training, but it was fantastic to finally get one!)

Cheers

berg417448
07-21-2008, 08:56 AM
It happened both ways.

"This was illustrated by an incident involving [a] Soviet pilot, Lt. Vladimir Lavrinenkov, 35 victories, who shot down a Messerschmitt in Soviet territory. The German pilot belly-landed, and ran to a ditch to hide from the strafing he expected from his victor. Instead, the Russian landed his plane beside the German aircraft, ran to the ditch, and choked the Luftwaffe pilot to death. He then calmly took off and returned to his unit! "

http://www.stapells.com/wargames/anec4.php

I seem to recall reading that Luftwaffe pilot Heinz Knoke and an American P-47 shot each other's planes and both pilots ended up on the ground near each other. They stayed there talking to each other until ground units showed up and took the American away as a POW.

tragentsmith
07-21-2008, 09:13 AM
It's sad that people that don't know eachothers fight and kill themselves for the purpose of peoples that knows themselves and don't settle it on a ring.

mortoma
07-21-2008, 09:26 AM
What?!?!?!

RockyAlexander
07-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Wasn't there a movie that addressed this sort of thing? "Enemy Mine", with Dennis Quaid, maybe. Two enemy intergalactic fighter pilots shot down over an uninhabited planet...or something like that. It's been awhile since I've seen it.

Multimetal
07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
There is a great (fictional) movie about this, called "Hell In The Pacific." It stars Lee Marvin and I believe Toshiro Mifune, it's about a US Navy pilot that bails out over a tropical island and finds that there's already a Japanese pilot living there. It's well worth watching if you can find it!

SeaFireLIV
07-21-2008, 11:46 AM
I heard of a case where a Soviet pilot and german crashlanded almost togther. I think the German had a dog with him.

Anyway, there was a shootout between the two and the Russian won. I presume he shot the dog first.

War is hell, and the Eastern front was one of the worse hells.

b2spirita
07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Heinz Knoke did encounter a p47 pilot who had stot him up and, with knoke in flames, oovershot him. Knoke toot advantage and shot down the p47 before bailing out. They landed next to each other in a field

Mr_Zooly
07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
.................................................. .
What happened next?

b2spirita
07-21-2008, 05:09 PM
They offered each other cigarettes, which each declined. They swapped photos of respective girlfriends and then the yank was taken away to a POW camp. Knoke i think sustained a concussion and possibly a fracture from the bail, im not sure.

Tully__
07-22-2008, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by RockyAlexander:
Wasn't there a movie that addressed this sort of thing? "Enemy Mine", with Dennis Quaid, maybe. Two enemy intergalactic fighter pilots shot down over an uninhabited planet...or something like that. It's been awhile since I've seen it.

Originally posted by Multimetal:
There is a great (fictional) movie about this, called "Hell In The Pacific." It stars Lee Marvin and I believe Toshiro Mifune, it's about a US Navy pilot that bails out over a tropical island and finds that there's already a Japanese pilot living there. It's well worth watching if you can find it!

Enemy Mine is a remake of the other one. They were both good in their way, though the Sci-Fi setting was a little bit strange.