PDA

View Full Version : Book about Me109 fighter.

Atomic_Marten
10-13-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm looking forward to read some good book about Me109 fighter (whether early 109's A-D or late types does not matter). I'm in dilemma because I found few good Schiffer books about Bf109 (authors Jochen Prien and Willy Radinger) and also a few other, and wanted to know if anyone of you guys can reccomend me some other. Any help appreciated.

Atomic_Marten
10-13-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm looking forward to read some good book about Me109 fighter (whether early 109's A-D or late types does not matter). I'm in dilemma because I found few good Schiffer books about Bf109 (authors Jochen Prien and Willy Radinger) and also a few other, and wanted to know if anyone of you guys can reccomend me some other. Any help appreciated.

MK2aw
10-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Interesting, I have actually never read a book that dealt specifically with the A-D models.

A few things I remember , none of those models had the fabled Daimler Benz engine.

The A model was powered by a rolls royce engine.

The B series was shipped to Spain, I belive like 45 made it there.

The C model added a pair of 12.7 machine guns to the wings
The D model was hardly produced.
Good luck, i would be interested in getting a book about these early models.

Mk2aw

Atomic_Marten
10-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Schiffer books (http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/category_books.php?category_id=99) check this link out plenty of LW birds described in books. Early Me109's are subject in Willy Radinger's "Messerschmitt Bf 109 A-E".

The_Ant
10-14-2004, 01:01 AM
hi i have some books about the me/bf 109

they are.

Messerschmitt Bf 109: by Jerry Scutts

a highly recomended book, feuturing the history of the 109 from the 1st a model to the K model.

Messerschmitt Bf 109; by D a Lande
also a highly recomended book same as the book writen by jerry scutts,also featuring a model to k model.some colour pictures and some cutouts.this book is older than the book by jerry scutts and scutts uses D a Lande`s book as reference.

MESSERSCHMITT: by ROBERT PECZKOWSKI

it feutures on the G model only and it contains a lot of colour pictures,also highly recomended.

Other books i have about messerschmitts/and their pilots.

Bf 109 Aces of the Russian Front +
Bf109F/G/K Aces on the Western Front
by Weal, John.
Good stories about the men flying on the eastern and western front,HIGHLY recomended,john weal writes unbiased so expect no, that plane was best etc..

Messerschmitt Bf109 at War; by Armand Van Ishoven
also alot of fighterpilot stories. and Models not very well written book but still goood.

Messerschmitts Over Sicily: Diary of a Luftwaffe Fighter Commander: by Johannes Sienhoff.
A bad written book could have been much better,as the title say a dairy spaning over a months period in sicily.

I flew for the Fuhrer: by Heinz Knokke
My personal favourite, a good book about heinz knokke`s life on the western front from 1941-1944.

The blond knight of germany: by Raymond F Toliver and Trevor Constable.
A book about Eric Hartmanns life from youth,to war and captivity.

Other interresting books that i dont have!!

BF 109 D/E 1939-41: by Alfred Price and John Weal.

Messerschmitt Bf109 Recognition Manual. by Marcos Fernadez-Sommerau

The Messerschmitt Me 109: Volume I: 1936 to 1942; by Anis El Bied and Andre Jouineau
+
Messerschmitt: From 1942 to 1945 ;by Dominique Breffort and Andre Jouineau

MRsteve
10-14-2004, 02:48 AM
Hi all,
All the above are great suggestings, but if the actual manuals for 109 would be helpful, try http://www.bf109.com/frameset.html they have the original and translated versions of pilot manuals.
Other good sources might be the Verlinden Lock-On range (not sure what models are covered) and did any one mention the Aero-Detail range?

Good hunting
MRsteve http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

LuftWulf190
10-14-2004, 10:12 AM
If you want a quick and easy book, Squadron Signal puts out a nice two book series on the Bf-109 in Action. They have also done a nice book on the Fw-190, unfortunatly though the Dora is not even discussed. But they do have a nice walk around on the Dora, but I would still like to see an "In Action" publication on the Long Nose.