PDA

View Full Version : reflections in the water?

BlastinFooz-619
11-29-2004, 12:20 AM
ok i went out and got a PNY GeForce 6800 ULTRA and got 512mb ddr ram which pushed me over 1 GHZ ram ,and i hav 3 GHZ. i set water to three and have everything set to the max but i dont see reflections in the water. everything else runs and looks great but i dont know how to get the reflections to show up. i have not installed any of the new patches for the game . oh and should i download the new drivers?

Owlsphone
11-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Make sure you are running the game in OpenGL and have stencil buffer turned on. After that is selected, "perfect" landscape should be a selectable option in the graphics settings. With all of this enabled + water=3, you should be good to go.

BlastinFooz-619
11-29-2004, 01:02 AM
the water looks great and i have reflection of clouds but the thing that bugs me is that i dont have reflections of ships and planes. also i know i need to intall the new drivers but which one is it and how do i remove the old ones? and i still have yet to see rough seas.

LEXX_Luthor
11-29-2004, 03:09 AM
If you look at old photos, the ocean does not reflect like in the Perfect screenshots except under the most rare circumstances. Ocean water is normally too rough on multiple scales to function as a smooth mirror. The game grafix engine is made to model Pond Water. This is what the arcade gaming review rags want to review. We asked for, and we got, surrealistic water. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

panthercules
11-29-2004, 10:50 PM
<"The game grafix engine is made to model Pond Water"

Yeah - i was wondering about that myself - I only have a Radeon 9800Pro so only get to choose between water = 0, 1 or 2, but I have noticed that the water gets progressively WORSE looking as I go from 0 to 2 in terms of the realistic look/feel of the reflections. At water = 0 things look really nice, especially around 0630 hrs, but as I move to water=1 and then 2 the water gets all super reflective and glassy-calm-shiny looking, and the sun and ship reflections look much more like some really calm lake than an actual ocean.

As long as water=0 looks this cool and I can still get 40+ FPS on perfect I'm really not complaining, but it has seemed weird that the water gets "worse-looking" as the settings are increased like that. Anybody else experienced this?