PDA

View Full Version : The Med - Patrol 2 (the joys of air support)

paulhager
09-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Just completed my second patrol. Encountered another task force (see My first task force (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/3651018353)) though I couldn't get close - I was driven off by a DD. Not sure I could have gotten in front in any case.

On this patrol I spent most of my time beyond allied air cover in the choke point between Sicily and Tunisia, with occasional forays just west of Malta. I ended up sinking a large number of ships. Nearly all were small or coastal merchants so tonnage was low. Unlike the previous patrol, a number of my kills were ships already damaged and on fire. They'd obviously been pummeled by the Luftwaffe.

In one case I was tracking a small merchant, which spotted me and began firing even though it was out of gunnery range. My 105 mm gun outranged it so I fired a few shots but was getting only shell splashes so I desisted. While I was pondering what to do next, the ship erupted in flame. It was still afloat and moving so I opened fire again. On the next hit the ship blew up - I got credit for a kill. Just after this, 3 FW-200 Condors flew over my sub from the same direction where the erstwhile merchant had been.

I also bagged a couple of C2's that had been previous damaged. In one case I had tracked a C2 on radar moving at 9kts. I raced ahead of it and took up position for a torpedo attack. The C2 didn't appear on schedule. When it did, its speed was reduced to 5kts, it was down by the stern and on fire.

I've developed the habit of sending a contact report every time I see a ship. I don't know if this is bringing out the Luftwaffe or not.

bogusheadbox
09-05-2005, 05:54 AM
More than likely yess.

It has been widely spoken about that if you shodow a boat or sent contact reports. Any available friendly craft in the immediate area will engage the enemy target.

I also use the same tactic. Whenever i am on surface and spot a ship. As i am diving I make sure a radio report is sent.

You just never know when you may need that air support. Those DD's have a tendancy to pop out of no where at a tremendous speed.