PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here purchase il2 through Steam?

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-31-2008, 04:08 PM
I am working with someone on another forum I frequent and convinced him to give il2 a try and we're trying to work out some details. He purchased through Steam and apparently no il2setup.exe came with it, he was able to download that somewhere and get that going, no we are wondering if it will work with hyperlobby. He states his il2fb.exe launches the game through steam. Anyone running il2 from steam?

Ba5tard5word
12-31-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't have Il-2 through steam but I have several other games from Steam.

a) I think unless the game is something Valve produced, like Left4Dead or Team Fortress or whatever, which use the Steam online gaming connection service, you go online with the game without using the Steam service. I have Call of Duty 4 and it seems separated from the steam online service.

b) he should be able to start the game without having steam running in the background by going to

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

then finding the .exe for the game in the folder there for the game. I have GTAIV which really needs all background processes to be off, so I boot GTA IV that way instead of through the steam service.

hopefully that helps a bit, it's not specific to the steam version of Il-2 though, which I don't have from steam.

Tiberius01
12-31-2008, 08:13 PM
I purchased IL2 from steam back in august. At that time, the version from steam was 4.07, so I had to patch it to 4.08. The patch installer wouldn't find Il2 on its own, so I simply directed it to the IL2 folder manually.

I'm not sure why your friend needed to download the setup.exe, it should have been in his IL2 folder. Either way, you don't install games with steam. You simply download them and they're good to go. My IL2 folder does have the setup.exe, but I've never had to do anything with it.

As far as hyperlobby is concerned, it works fine with the steam version of IL2. You simply direct hyperlobby to the il2fb.exe which is located wherever IL2 is in your (his) steam folder. For me, that's valve>steam>steamapps>common>il2

Also, I've never attempted to run IL2 independently from steam. Every time I load IL2, it activates steam. It's not an issue though.

Cheers.

theCanadian0
12-31-2008, 08:36 PM
I just took a peek at the high res picture thread, and I'm not getting anywhere near the quality you guys are...

I think I'm missing something... as in a patch, or I don't have everything set properly in the config file.

I've already received a good amount of help, but I'd like to know if there is anything more which can be done to make the quality better.

This is what I have for my config.ini:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[window]
width=1680
height=1050
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=0
mapPadX=0.6692708
mapPadY=-0.046296295
viewSet=35
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=0
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1
SubTitlesLines=4
ClearCache=1
TypeClouds=1

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=1
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=0
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=3
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=3
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=3
Water=4
Effects=2
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0</pre>

http://i40.tinypic.com/2hf3yx3.jpg

EDIT: Also, I already tried going directly to the EXE, but it just launches through steam. I'm thinking I will need to replace the EXE to get it to run as a stand-alone.

Tully__
12-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by theCanadian0:
I just took a peek at the high res picture thread, and I'm not getting anywhere near the quality you guys are...
Neither is almost anyone else, most of the better looking pics in the hi-res thread have been photoshopped to some degree. Additionally, the screenshots have been taken while "re-playing" the mission from recordings with play speed set at 1/4 speed and resolution/graphics settings at something that would be unplayable on any system costing less than US$4000.

theCanadian0
12-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theCanadian0:
Neither is almost anyone else, most of the better looking pics in the hi-res thread have been photoshopped to some degree. Additionally, the screenshots have been taken while "re-playing" the mission from recordings with play speed set at 1/4 speed and resolution/graphics settings at something that would be unplayable on any system costing less than US$4000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...I'm not able to even reach that kind of quality to begin with even if I wanted to.

As far as I know, I've done everything correctly....

dirkpit7
01-01-2009, 05:07 AM
...I'm not able to even reach that kind of quality to begin with even if I wanted to.

As far as I know, I've done everything correctly....

You probably have. If you were wondering about the enhanced light and smoke effects of many pics, they are unofficial mods.

Also, aircraft skin has a lot of effect how the plane looks like. You can download new skins from Flying Legends (http://www.flying-legends.net/) or Mission4Today (http://www.mission4today.com/) for example.

theCanadian0
01-04-2009, 09:01 PM
My aircraft look fine, I'm more concerned about scenery.

WTE_Galway
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
My aircraft look fine, I'm more concerned about scenery.

Load a high detail map like the Slovakia from 4.09 beta and then fly at 7.00 am in the morning with some cloud and see what it looks like.

blairgowrie
01-05-2009, 05:36 AM
Getting back to the original topic, are there any downsides to buying the game via steam versus having a DVD? What happens if you have to reformat? Can you get another dl from steam?

SeaFireLIV
01-05-2009, 06:36 AM
I said before and I`ll say it again, don`t purchase anything off steam as in downloadable games if you can buy the thing in box form with disc from store or online store. Time and again I have seen people who`ve purchased games off Steam post up to say they can`t do numerous standard things with it that you can with the standard product.

examples... MTW2, Speedball 2, IL2...

Games like Left4dead are a different matter since they can only be purchased from Steam.

But even such Steam games are limiting because if you ever lose the internet (or don`t want it) and reformat you can`t ever play your game until you connect back to the net. I like having games I know I can play anytime.

Also, I like the security of just having the boxed thing in hand.

blairgowrie
01-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks Seafire. I had a feeling that might be case and was why I asked the question.

Falcke
01-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I said before and I`ll say it again, don`t purchase anything off steam as in downloadable games if you can buy the thing in box form with disc from store or online store. Time and again I have seen people who`ve purchased games off Steam post up to say they can`t do numerous standard things with it that you can with the standard product.

examples... MTW2, Speedball 2, IL2...

Games like Left4dead are a different matter since they can only be purchased from Steam.

But even such Steam games are limiting because if you ever lose the internet (or don`t want it) and reformat you can`t ever play your game until you connect back to the net. I like having games I know I can play anytime.

Also, I like the security of just having the boxed thing in hand.

Valve does not have anything to do with patching the games they did not bring out.

This is entirely the responsibility of the Publisher and Ubi does not care about the customers buying Il2 over Steam. I think it does not even update to the 4.08 version on Steam. I guess Ubi does not think it is that important.

Left 4 Dead is available in stores everywhere, who told you it wasn't? And there is no problem playing games while Steam is offline. Granted they are fully downloaded and updated off course.

SeaFireLIV
01-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Falcke:

Valve does not have anything to do with patching the games they did not bring out

Really? I am afraid you`re wrong about the patching.

Steam now patches MTW2 through its own patcher. But it took them a long while before they did it, meanwhile people who had bought the game in stores had the ability to Patch immedieatly the Patch was out. So I wouldn`t be surprised if they do others.

Originally posted by Falcke:
Left 4 Dead is available in stores everywhere, who told you it wasn't? And there is no problem playing games while Steam is offline. Granted they are fully downloaded and updated off course.

Sometimes I forget how careful one needs to be when writing on the forums. Yes, you can get Left4Dead in stores, of course. What I meant to add in detail was that the game is ONLY produced from the Steam group. You have to connect online to Steam before you can actually play it, even if bought from a store. I view this as almost the same as downloading the game from the net, I also view it as a collar that we shouldn`t have to have. You shouldn`t be `slaved` to a game for life once you have bought it, but I digress.

PF_Coastie
01-05-2009, 10:23 AM
TheCanadian,

Your game settings look fine in that sceenie. What is not set is your graphic card details through your graphic drivers. You need to crank up some Antialiasing(AA) and Anisotropic filtering(AF). The AA will smooth out the rough edges on the aircraft and airfield and the AF will make the distant textures clearer like the ground.

Try 4xAA and 8xAF for starters and check your FPS. If it is still good you can go higher if needed to satisfy your taste.

Good Luck!

I think I'm missing something... as in a patch, or I don't have everything set properly in the config file.

I've already received a good amount of help, but I'd like to know if there is anything more which can be done to make the quality better.

This is what I have for my config.ini:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">[window]
width=1680
height=1050
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=0
mapPadX=0.6692708
mapPadY=-0.046296295
viewSet=35
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=0
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1
SubTitlesLines=4
ClearCache=1
TypeClouds=1

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=1
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=0
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=3
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=3
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=3
Water=4
Effects=2
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0</pre>

http://i40.tinypic.com/2hf3yx3.jpg

EDIT: Also, I already tried going directly to the EXE, but it just launches through steam. I'm thinking I will need to replace the EXE to get it to run as a stand-alone.

Ba5tard5word
01-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I only buy games from steam because it's so hard to find pc games in stores nowadays. It's either buy on steam and play the same day, go hunting all day long at a bunch of gaming stores that only have the same two dusty old pc games in the back that I already own, or buy on amazon and wait a week for it to get shipped to me.

dl-ing games is annoying though because they take forever to download, take up a huge amount of space on my hard drive, and I can't uninstall them and still have the disc around for a quick reinstall a few months later. But on the other hand, dl-ing is so easy that it's hard to say no to it.

ebgames also seems pretty good about providing games for downloading and it probably doesn't have the same patching issues as steam.

Patosentao
01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I bought it from Steam, as it is simple, sometimes very cheap and very reliable.
I got it yesterday and must train a lot alone before going public, but maybe I join a squad in the future...