PDA

View Full Version : Horrible campaigns

kiddknapp59
12-25-2004, 06:49 PM
I can€t get over how bad the campaign(s) are in this game. I have tried three campaigns, two Air Force and one Marine. In both cases I started out at the lowest rank. All turn out the same way. The first mission is fine, maybe too easy. The second mission is impossible. In the Air Force campaign, both times I tried it, the second mission was 8 against 30. No way to win that. And it happened both times, which suggests to me that the definition of €œdynamic€ varies from place to place. The Marine campaign started with an easy, but fun, mission. The second mission was 2 against more than I could count, 20 or 30. Brilliant. Has anyone made an add-on campaign that doesn€t make a sucking noise? The single missions would be enough to keep me busy if there were any, but there really are only a few. Other than that it€s a very nice carrier take off and landing simulator. It looks good and runs like a champ on my computer.

kiddknapp59
12-25-2004, 06:49 PM
I can€t get over how bad the campaign(s) are in this game. I have tried three campaigns, two Air Force and one Marine. In both cases I started out at the lowest rank. All turn out the same way. The first mission is fine, maybe too easy. The second mission is impossible. In the Air Force campaign, both times I tried it, the second mission was 8 against 30. No way to win that. And it happened both times, which suggests to me that the definition of €œdynamic€ varies from place to place. The Marine campaign started with an easy, but fun, mission. The second mission was 2 against more than I could count, 20 or 30. Brilliant. Has anyone made an add-on campaign that doesn€t make a sucking noise? The single missions would be enough to keep me busy if there were any, but there really are only a few. Other than that it€s a very nice carrier take off and landing simulator. It looks good and runs like a champ on my computer.

Chuck_Older
12-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Firstly, the rank you start at is completely under your control. Just choose a higher rank.

Secondly, you do not have to shoot down every attacker to 'win' a mission. If you have the wrong 'instant success' option turned on, you must get a "mission complete" message to 'win'

Thirdly, ther are many 3rd party missions and campaigns

Next, you seem to think the missions suck if you 'can't win'. I can understand frustration, but have you considered that the Marine campaign you refer to might be a campaign that is 'hard'? or that you can't expect to master it in one day? may i make the assumption you got it today as a Christmas present? If so, I suggest practicing with the sim a bit more before lack of expertise on the pilot (you) is ruled out

Lastly, the campaigns are 'dynamic' in that you get awards, advance in rank (if not at highest rank already) and the sim keeps tabs on your status (kills) and those of your comrades. the complaint about 'dynamic campaigns' is an old one, and in every case it seems to be because the user who has issues with it made up his or her mind about what 'dynamic' meant and then got dissapointed

Welcome to the boards and enjoy the sim. Ask questions and learn a bit. Please don't just come in laying 'this sucks' all over the place

kiddknapp59
12-25-2004, 08:20 PM
I don't care about winning. Survival yes, winning no. The odds are too great. I plan on trying a new campaign with a high rank. As far as mastery goes, I have had the sim for a couple weeks. Not long enough to master it by any means, but it isn't the first simulator I have owned. I work in the PC flight sim industry, so I get around a bit. I'll see if the campaigns starting with a higher rank are better balanced.

Chuck_Older
12-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Well, good, you already know that flight modelling can vary from sim to sim then, and that it takes more than a few hours of stick time to really understand the pros and cons of the aircraft you choose to fly in the sim.

Is this your first experience with one of 1C:Maddox games flight sim? It seems so.

Are you flying the as-shipped version, or have you upgraded your version with one of the available patches? It may matter as to how enemy AI reacts and how aggressive they are

Also, you can change a few things in the config file to make the campaings harder or easier

BSS_Goat
12-25-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm playing the P-40 Burma(FR w/ speed bar) campaign....I went 20 mission w/34 kills and O deaths, it is possible but you MUST B&Z, use your AAA, call in extra flights, get alt and keep up the speed. Slash and run, 1 turn on a bandit MAX ect ect

kiddknapp59
12-25-2004, 08:41 PM
I do have IL-2 but never got far into it. I just started at the wrong point in the war; the point where we were being over run. I have dumbed down the AI a bit so perhaps that will help. And my game is patched current. My main problem is time. When you work in the industry it seems you have less time to fly. I do texture/graphic art for FS9 add-ons and I get some of the best software available for free. So I have flown some planes that cost almost as much as this entire game. So the flying part I can do, even the carrier landings are not much of a problem. I wrongly assumed when I started two separate campaigns with the same outcome that they were all that way. I'll keep plugging away at it and whine less. A little less.

kiddknapp59
12-25-2004, 10:15 PM
I started another campaign, this time I promoted myself. I have already gotten twice as far this time (two missions complete). I tried the third mission but made a fatal error; I flew too close to Iwo Jima. My bad. The odds are much more even, or perhaps in my favor. More fun.