PDA

View Full Version : silent hunter 3

sicknote55
04-11-2005, 04:55 AM
I loved the first game, showing my age here, and i am thinking of getting this, but i have one major doubt. I HATED silent hunter 2 because of the way that it gave you set tasks to complete before you could move on to the next set task, something I think took away a major part of the game for me. Is silent hunter 3 like this or does revert back to the excellent 'get out there and search for them' of the orginal game.

Any answers gratefully recieved thanks a po http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.giftential purchaser

Thermalschicht
04-11-2005, 05:02 AM
It's back to the hunting game...

In the campaign you get a map coordinate to patrol for a day and then you are the boss.

In fact the missions consist of 2 components:

1) the transfer to the quadrant
2) The 24h patrol in the quadrant

The rest is up to you.

Nukem_Hicks
04-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Not only does it revert to the "free hunt" mode of the original, but it improves upon it by making the entire patrol dynamic, not just your time in the patrol zone. If you ever played Aces of the Deep, it is quite a bit like that.

[]_---_[] KITT
04-11-2005, 06:03 AM
B-U-Y--I-T

it's a must. It's the best thing ever happened to my life since a loooooooooong time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I know i have a miserable life http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

reumatiib
04-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Don't listen to thode Ubi-agents who pretend to be common players on this site. Would a player say, "BUY IT!"? The truth is this game is not as good as SH2. The depth charges are too weak, the are less ship types in the navies that count, the radio does not really serve a function, the DD do not appear in the later career mode to protect convoys, the patch 1.2 messes up your frame rate, you can't man your deck or even your AA gun unless the water is pond-quiet, there are less command options for the captain, and you have to bottle-feed and burp your crew all the time or they cease to function.

For me, the DD trouble has ended the game. All I am doing now is looking into level building. But on other sites I am getting the feel that players are dropping out of this game and I am not sure building levels will have any point in 2 months.

[]_---_[] KITT
04-11-2005, 09:26 AM
What i'm no one agent. Dun believe me check my profile and click on the homepage. There's no UBI employee where i live.....

Yea there are definitely some weaknesses but overall it's a great game man. Wait duntake my words. See all the reviews from gamespy, gamespot and others...you'll get the picture real quick. Cos they all came to the same conclusion and that picture btw is a beautiful one. This game is an art graphics wise! Abt patch 1.2 ruining fps? dun install it yet...

mangadrive
04-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Never played a subsim before, but I like this game. Its pretty open-ended and it has a lot of customization as to how much you wanna simulate. I run on about 60% or so. I don't mind the limited fuel and supplies, but certain things like manual torpedo inputs and stuff is just too much for me to have fun. I still use full damage etc.

Basically you get a patrol order and leave the port. Sometime in your fuel limits you need to compelte the patrol in the sector of the map, but before/after you can do what you please. I used a thunderstorm to sneak through the southern part of the English waters and found a convoy on my last patrol.

indylavi
04-11-2005, 04:41 PM
SH3 is a good game. No I'm not an UBI suit either. It is very open ended. You are given a cord on the map (sometimes your not even given that) but it's up to you. You can go right to the area or stop off and hunt on the way. After you patrol for grid for 24 hours it's up to you as to what to do. If you like sub games and the first 1 like I did, then you'll like this one

axeman3d
04-11-2005, 04:48 PM
You'll have to forgive reumatiib, he goes to school on the short bus, if you know what I mean.

I haven't played a simulation of any kind in years, let alone a submarine one, but I ordered this game on the strength of the screenshots and have not been disappointed. It's WWII from the perspective of a U-Boat Captain, and you are pretty much your own boss as long as you fulfill the orders of patrolling the assigned area for the assigned time.

As much as reumatiib and a couple of other idiots hate the game because it's not a real U-boat, it is as close as you will get for now. I would recommmend it to anyone into WWII, U-boats or the film Das Boot. Awesome and challenging.

kSetuni
04-11-2005, 04:48 PM
I honestly dont know why these guys are screaming about framerates. I run SH3 on a lil p4 2.0 with 768 mb rmabus ram and a 128mb 4200ti vid card. Besides the normal occasional stutter at 1024 time compression I have not had a hiccup yet. My graphics are smooth and my gameplay is fine. I honestly dont know what my framrates are, but honestly, I dont care. The game looks sharp and runs smoothly on my lowly machine.

I'm having a blast playing it. In the end isnt that what playing a game is all about?

S.M.

Kirock7
04-11-2005, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mangadrive:
Never played a subsim before, but I like this game. Its pretty open-ended and it has a lot of customization as to how much you wanna simulate. <snipped> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, mangadrive! I own the whole Sturmovik series and play somewhere in-between arcade and too-****-hard... and so far I'm still playing on the default reality setting with SH3... but man, is this puppy fun! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
My only problem is that my new love-of-the-game is being viewed as a problem by my live-in love... raising her ire so to speak (the in-house WAP rating is slipping as fast as a rusty depth charge!)
I'm told I'm spending waaay toooo much time playing a GAME! "It's not really a game, dear... it's considered a sim." POW! CRASH! BANG! "Okay, okay... it's a game!!!!!!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Cess-SGTRoc
04-11-2005, 07:42 PM
I installed 1.2 and it did not hurt my FPS at all.

Also if you do the Shift Page up and Page down to set the graphics setting in the game and get it two low , that will mess with you fps. Took me awhile to catch it, But when I put the setting up it smooths out. did the same thing in the first release.