PDA

View Full Version : Backing 1946 to hard drive.

jeffmorgan_947
11-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi. When backing up 1946 do i need to transfer to a hard drive the whole set of files that it contains of can i just choose the necessaey.??

IL-2 Sturmovik fully patched 4.09m] is 15.6GB ! does that sound about right?

Cheers JM.

Sillius_Sodus
11-24-2010, 05:24 PM
It sounds a bit big, do you have a lot of skins and/or missions in your install? Also, if you've modded the game it will be a lot larger.

I think the best solution is to just back up the whole folder where your game resides, at least once, then you can do incremental backups of the users, missions, and paint scheme folders, then a a backup of your dgen and conf.ini files from time to time.

M_Gunz
11-24-2010, 08:35 PM
You could RAR the whole folder into 100 meg segments, generate PAR files to get past read errors and burn the whole thing onto maybe 4 DVD's as an archive.

WinRAR free download page. (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm)

QuickPAR free download. (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Compression-tools/QuickPar.shtml)

If you've never used WinRAR, it's great. It lets you compress archives into segments. Just keep them small enough that if you lose one, you can recover the whole set using:

Quickpar! Will generate Error Check and Correct files for any set of files you want, like a ZIP or RAR set. A 20% parity set will cover massive faults just on movie files, it's what we mostly use on multimedia newsgroups where parts of a major download may not be there long after posting and transmission errors... I feel for the torrent folk, on blip and it's no good!

If you have any data worth keeping for sure, esp business, RAR and PAR make backups far more secure.. and can be passworded.
I liked em so much, I paid to register.

jeffmorgan_947
11-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks for that, 46 is a new install, its patched to 4.09m and i downloaded and installed just one mission [ Luftwaffe Africa ]

I had to re-install because I lost my modded version which is still a mystery why??

I have a new 320 GB external drive and have had a problem trying to back up. I copy and send which takes a long time,but its not showing as a successful transfer?? [ should show as a green colour and box ticked ] Strange. JM.

M_Gunz
11-25-2010, 02:58 AM
You should be able to drag and drop the folder to the external. (LOL! I don't use regular backup software!) You might want to test with a smaller file first. I have 2 500G external bricks and a Geeks rig (generally $15 or less depending on sale or not) that will run any IDE or SATA drive as a USB external (I have a 1T, a 240G, a 160G and some others, they all work.) and that's how I copy stuff off. And it's still not enough. I have boxes of CD's and DVD's as well. Lots of collections!

Sometimes though the external may have timed out and need to start spinning again before you can copy files, check your power settings and as above, copy something small first.

The operation should look the same as copying between internal partitions or folders, or to a USB stick or flash chip.

And 15G will take a while, but not too long.

jeffmorgan_947
11-25-2010, 03:50 AM
Thanks Gunz. Appriciate your help. JM.