PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling and Need Advice From My Fellow Veterans

Kaleun1961
11-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I haven't played SH3 for quite some time, although I have been frequenting the forum to hang out with my kameraden here. My temporary IT job ended this weekend, so I am once again unemployed and will have some time on my hands. I'm doing a full OS overhaul of my gaming system sometime this week, planning on reformatting my hard drives [striped RAID set at the moment] and will have to reinstall my SH3 game.

What I'm asking for is advice on those "must have" mods and addons that I have been missing these last few months. When I last played, I was using GWX [love it!], SH3 Commander and the weather generating mod, as well as a few other ones for which I still have the install files. So, my friends, what else do you recommend? I've read about the SH4 effects for SH3 and have already downloaded it. Would appreciate any other suggestions for mods compatible with GWX, and speaking of which, isn't it due for a major new update soon to be released? If so, I may hold off until then.

Thanks, all.

Kaleun1961
11-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I haven't played SH3 for quite some time, although I have been frequenting the forum to hang out with my kameraden here. My temporary IT job ended this weekend, so I am once again unemployed and will have some time on my hands. I'm doing a full OS overhaul of my gaming system sometime this week, planning on reformatting my hard drives [striped RAID set at the moment] and will have to reinstall my SH3 game.

What I'm asking for is advice on those "must have" mods and addons that I have been missing these last few months. When I last played, I was using GWX [love it!], SH3 Commander and the weather generating mod, as well as a few other ones for which I still have the install files. So, my friends, what else do you recommend? I've read about the SH4 effects for SH3 and have already downloaded it. Would appreciate any other suggestions for mods compatible with GWX, and speaking of which, isn't it due for a major new update soon to be released? If so, I may hold off until then.

Thanks, all.

U301
11-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Hi Kaleun1969,
You are welcome to check out my stuff I have on FileFront. I think it all should be compatable with GWX.
I recommend "Reflexionen".
The link is just below my siggy.
Once you are up and running check out this fix that I got off SubSim.com forum. Link... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=124360

Once the game is loaded, say in SingleMission screen hit Ctl-Alt-Delete.

[Quote] if ure having problems with choppy frame rates...try pressing ctrl + alt + del
on your desktop to bring up your process list....just after you click the sh3gwx icon.....right click on sh3.exe in the list and go to "prioroty"...'set this to "HIGH"
this seemed to help my creaking system.....2.6 processor....512 ram....nvidiafx5200-128mb graphics card...u probably all got something easier, but i thought i may as well post this as i'm the one usually asking for help[Quote]
Von hally

It makes all the difference and you will be playing a whole new game.
On a more serious note I hope your unemployment ends soon and that you will be back in the land of the living again.
KUrtz

Kaleun1961
11-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks, will hit those downloads for sure. My unemployment, I hope, will be a temporary thing. I'm real feeling kind of in between jobs more at the moment than unemployed status. I'm awaiting arbirtration of my severance pay in January. If I win, I should have enough cash to keep me afloat for quite a while. I'll either return to school for some more IT certifcations, start my own PC support service, get a job in IT or do something else. At the moment I'm in no hurry to find another job, at least until I get a verdict on my case.

VikingGrandad
11-19-2007, 06:04 PM
The new version of GWX, 1.04, which includes a completely re-modelled fleet of aircraft (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123357) (old and new types), is due within the next few weeks I think. Like the current version, I expect it will be released as an executable installer. The GWX guys have not yet confirmed if 1.04 can be installed over 1.03, or if a fresh SH3 install is needed. I'd plan for the latter and keep a clean copy of SH3 backed up somewhere so you can still play 1.03 in the meantime.

Other excellent mods to consider (some might call them eye candy, but I think they each add signficantly to SH3's immersion factor):

<LI> Racerboy's 'SH4 effects for SH3' mod you've already mentioned, plus 'Enhanced Ocean/Environment mod for GWX-16km'. The sea looks incredibly realistic, although I have to say I'm unsure about the explosions and smoke effects from SH4. The explosions look superb from a distance (e.g. through the scope) but, up close in target camera view, there are certain aspects which I think look too 'gamey' - especially the way in which the initial ball of flames simply fades out. My preferred smoke mod has for a long time been Sober's 'Real Smoke' mod (after trying all smoke mods), but I've yet to install this over the SH4 effects mod to see if they work well together.

<LI> Sergbuto's recent 'Camera mod' is very nice. It allows unprecedented camera movement http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif You can effectively walk around the whole deck area, which means you can see your boat from lots of interesting new angles. This isn't restricted to just the bridge and winter garden - you can also wander around other areas such as the deck gun. I like to position myself towards the front of the conning tower where, for the first time, you can actually 'lean over' to see the fore-deck and bow of a Type VII http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<LI> DivingDuck's 'Open Hatch' mods (versions available for most U-boat types) - a real 'breakthrough'! It opens up the bulkhead hatch between the command room and the radio room, which means you can walk between the two compartments using the internal free cam (Shift F2).

<LI> Racerboy's 'Speed controlled dual exhaust' - adds subtle smoke trails from your boat's engine exhausts. The amount of smoke is related to the engine speed, which looks great!

I have a dozen or so other mods installed alongside GWX, but the above are the most significant recent additions.