PDA

View Full Version : The true strengt of radial engine

jugent
09-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Its about time that the radiators are included in the damage model.
Without them the full befenit of the radial engine would be missed.
After all the cats and the P-47 will be better with this as well as the Zekes.
Spit- yak- mig- Messerschmitt- and Mustangpilots must take more care.

VFS-214_Hawk
09-08-2005, 07:47 PM
yeap, straffing airfields will give them radiaders problems fer shure!

Jaws2002
09-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by jugent:
Its about time that the radiators are included in the damage model.

The radiators were in the damage model before you started playing this game. Be sure.

Remember the testing we did with the IL-2 radiators?

IL2-chuter
09-09-2005, 01:28 AM
ummmm . . . do believe they are, dude. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

The game is what it is.

FritzGryphon
09-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Oil radiators, such as those on the nose of 109, can be damaged. Coolant radiators can not. Been like that since IL-2.

And don't anyone say they've seen "white smoke". That's fuel leak.

http://members.shaw.ca/evilgryphon3/leak.jpg

Look for radiator damage in BoB, I suppose.

Cajun76
09-09-2005, 06:16 AM
Without coolant, most liquid cooled engines lost power and seized up pretty quickly as they overheated. Along with the durability and reliability that the air-cooled engines offered, they also took damage much better. The Jug is rather glass jawed at the moment, a fact currently exploited online. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Platypus_1.JaVA
09-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Now, I always thought that radiator damage was modelled all along. The black smoke is radiator smoke. If you have black smoke on your aircraft, the engine will seize up pretty quickly. So will AI aircraft. It was my tactic in 109F2 (15mm nosegun!) against the Il-2's back in the Il-2 v 1.XX

han freak solo
09-09-2005, 12:23 PM
I always thought that black smoke was oil smoke not coolant. So, smoke from an oil radiator would be black.

Like Fritz Gryphon, I've only seen white smoke in the game representing a fuel leak.

jugent
09-09-2005, 12:42 PM
The oil-cooler are included in some a/c like IL-2 but the radiators are not in any plane.
During BoB many Me-109 where lost because they they got damaged radiators and ditched or the pilots have to jump over england or the sea.
A hit in the radiators caused long white trails of steam, more visible than those of petrol.
Black smoke comes from oil, either from the radiator or the engine itself, I assume

I want the radiators included in the damageprofile.

tigertalon
09-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:
Now, I always thought that radiator damage was modelled all along. The black smoke is radiator smoke. If you have black smoke on your aircraft, the engine will seize up pretty quickly. So will AI aircraft. It was my tactic in 109F2 (15mm nosegun!) against the Il-2's back in the Il-2 v 1.XX

no no no, brown smoke is oil. All engines need oil to operate, radials and inlines. But inline engines need two kinds of radiators: Oil (under the nose of 109 or under LEFT wing of spitV...) and usually bigger Coolant radiator (under both wings at 109, late spits, under right wing at spitV). White smoke is ALWAYS fuel leak. Coolant liquid is not modelled in game. Gryphons scrshot is excellent example of that - a single bullet through that radiator should take a plane down.