PDA

View Full Version : Who would have thought...

Greenwidth
11-05-2004, 08:55 AM
.... reading actually pays off!
My (pretty old) PC was stuttering and lagging badly when online. I'd messed about with the settings for ages, but to no avail....
Back into the IL2 folder, to edit the conf.ini file yet again. But wait, what's this?.. manual.pdf.. hmmmmm.
Obviously, I wasn't actually reading it, just looking at the 'purdy' pictures, but something made me stop on page 8 - "How to Improve frame rate on slower PCs and older video cards:" blah blah ..."Lower the object visibilty distance."
Bizarrely, I now have hardly any stutters at all, and, I can't really tell the difference between the new and old visibilty settings.
Yay! For manuals! (automatics suck :P)

Greenwidth
11-05-2004, 08:55 AM
.... reading actually pays off!
My (pretty old) PC was stuttering and lagging badly when online. I'd messed about with the settings for ages, but to no avail....
Back into the IL2 folder, to edit the conf.ini file yet again. But wait, what's this?.. manual.pdf.. hmmmmm.
Obviously, I wasn't actually reading it, just looking at the 'purdy' pictures, but something made me stop on page 8 - "How to Improve frame rate on slower PCs and older video cards:" blah blah ..."Lower the object visibilty distance."
Bizarrely, I now have hardly any stutters at all, and, I can't really tell the difference between the new and old visibilty settings.
Yay! For manuals! (automatics suck :P)

LEXX_Luthor
11-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Congratulations http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

What older video card are you using?

----------------------me

Athalon 1700+
WinXP Homely
256MB 133MHz SDRAM
ATI~9200 (default CD driver)

:
:
[OPEN GL]

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=9
Water=0

Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

----------------------------------
Try this...

TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0

Set to 0 and this gives me "perfect" detail clouds drawn out to the full 20km map horizon. Default Excellent "detail" clouds are only drawn to 10km, and "simple" clouds only to 5km.

btw...
"Detailed" clouds is Sky=2
"Simple clouds is Sky=1
no clouds is Sky=0

----------

Added bonus (worked in FB but not checked yet in FP)

TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0

Set to 0 and this gives me the normal "cirrocumulus" looking high level 7km clouds with lots of bumpy texture. Set to 1 and these smear out like smooth cirrus clouds. Nice change of sky appearance for different missions.

-- had to edit this for mistakes so just a warning --

-- still experimenting with water=? so don't laugh at me yet