PDA

View Full Version : Ever been killed/hit by your own gun!?

Waldo.Pepper
04-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Tonight I was behind a P-51D with a Bf109G6/AS I had the 20mm gun pods on. I shot from about a plane length distance. MY OWN 20MM shells blew when they hit him (he did not blow up but he was finished anyway). My plane was also damaged by the shell exploding (not from any debris of his plane) and I got damaged from them.

I think this is quite possible... I am amazed.

Fennec_P
04-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Every time I nose over on the runway, I can't resist blowing myself to smithereens with my guns. That's probably the most common way.

#2 is not guns, but rockets. I like to get close.

ImpStarDuece
04-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I had a Ki-84C tap me with thos 30mms on my tailplane from point blank range.

The end result was one of my elevators being blown off but the Ki took the brunt of the shot on the nose and it killed the engine.

I somehow got credit for the kill as well http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

jarink
04-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Most modern cannon ammo has a minimum arming distance to avoid this sort of thing. (It's usually done by # of spins) I know this was common for WWII artillery shells; does anyone know if it was also done for a/c cannon?

EnGaurde
04-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I had a Ki-84C tap me with thos 30mms on my tailplane from point blank range.

The end result was one of my elevators being blown off but the Ki took the brunt of the shot on the nose and it killed the engine

I sh!te thee not, i swear that could have been me.

or else i did the same thing to someone else.

often i can tear chunks off my victim if i have the wingtips touching the outside of the canopy spars, i like to close right up to save as many precious mortars as i can.

yes, its happened to me.

a sort of instant engine inoperable message, kind of working, then voila!, not working.

quiet_man
04-29-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Fennec_P:
Every time I nose over on the runway, I can't resist blowing myself to smithereens with my guns. That's probably the most common way.

uh, that's ... historical? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

quiet_man

Atomic_Marten
04-29-2005, 02:08 AM
Some gurus of the game says that you can be killed with your Me163 MK108s if you fly and shoot from that thing properly.(they used exactly this expression: "Catch your own bullets").

Bearcat99
04-29-2005, 06:08 AM
Yeah I saw that 99th_Bearcat downs 99th_Bearcat message once..LOL

robban75
04-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Hmm, my D-9 is fast, but not fast enough to shoot myself down! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

mortoma
04-29-2005, 09:08 AM
No but I almost shot myself in the foot with a .22 rifle as a child. It had a malfunctioning trigger mechanism. Good thing it missed, it was loaded with hollow point bullets.............

uberchuckie
04-29-2005, 12:22 PM
I like to shoot from so close that sometimes the explosion from my enemy blowing up could rip my own wing off.

Deedsundone
04-29-2005, 01:46 PM
I got shot by my own rear gunner (Il2) once.I jumped out as I got badly shot up and passed in the way of my rear gunner who still fired at the attacker.

Dew-Claw
04-29-2005, 02:20 PM
No but I almost shot myself in the foot with a .22 rifle as a child. It had a malfunctioning trigger mechanism. Good thing it missed, it was loaded with hollow point bullets.............

I shot myself in the shoulder with a .45 about 20 yrs ago.
Was firing into a table/top trap and the round shattered and about 1/3 came straight back and imbedded itself in my shoulder just under the skin.
Burned like a mother.

WB_Outlaw
04-29-2005, 09:28 PM
I took a ricochet from a .30 carbine round in the calf. Like Dew-Claw said, burns like hell.

-Outlaw.

EnGaurde
04-30-2005, 03:59 AM
ha yeah about those own bullet stories...

i used to like chopping trees down with the old single barrelled shotgun.

from the hip, small saplings... booom.

creak.... tiiiimmbbbeeer.

well it was fun when the small fluffy things had been scared off.

i aimed at the edge of an ironbark tree about as round as your mums thigh... booom.

STING.

F***CK

OWW

something had come back and whacked me just above my hip, tore the shirt and left a big blue bruise about the thickness of a pencil and about 4 inches long.

didnt break the skin but turned a funky yellow, orange and pink after a while.

really hurt.

one other time i lay down trying to determine shot spread at different ranges for different shot types.

i lay down, not enough sidestep, fired a shot, dropped the gun with an sharp ache in my shoulder and a buzzing down my arm into my thumb.

went away after awhile, but my shoulder hurt badly for a week or so.

now, when i run my thumb along my right collarbone theres a wopping great lump right smack in the middle.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

DuxCorvan
04-30-2005, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:

What was making a child with a malfuctioning trigger .22 loaded with hollow point bullets? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I used to like chopping trees down with the old single barrelled shotgun.

Amazing. I'll try not to go out for a walk in the country. You never know where there are children with extremely lethal weapons and guys chopping trees with shotguns...

Guys, fire weapons are not toys. Those accidents could easily have terminated your lives -or any other's. Luckily, you can tell it. I hope you learned the lesson.

When I was in the Army, a leutenant almost killed me because he was proud of his accuracy and found so funny to fire his 7.69 Cetme against mosquitos -yes, mosquitos- in the ceiling of his barracks. What the guy didn't think is that the barracks were three-story tall, and the old timber ceiling was not so thick it could stop some of his bullets. I was sitting on a bed, putting on my boots, when something went up thru the floor, passed thru the mattress and pierced my right thigh artery. I never knew what had happened, I lost consciousness almost immediatly.

It was only because an infirmary doctor was just in front of me, that I saved my life. I spent two months in a hospital, and still -after fifteen years- I have pains and bad circulation in my right leg, just because of a moron firing a weapon outside a firing range. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

And I won't tell you of a sergeant that hunted rabbits with grenades and how he eat his meals now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

stansdds
04-30-2005, 06:14 AM
Let's see.
As a child I got hit with a BB that bounced straight back, that did sting, but did not break the skin.

When I was competition shooting and was a range officer I got hit with a lot of bullet fragments. the bullets would hit a steel popper and splatter, some of which came back and hit me. Lots of bruises and a few skin breaks, but nothing imbedded.

RogueRunner
04-30-2005, 09:11 AM
that's why poppers are not supposed to be closer than 10m from the shooter! Still get stuff coming back but not with nearly enough velocity to hurt anything!

To those who shot themselfs with firearms...it's nature's way of telling the stupid people out there you are now threading on thin ice!

I was shot in the hip while I was doing VIP protection a few years ago. Not a nice experience and at first not much pain but later it was hurting like a *****!

Had another close shave when a .38 revolver blew up in the shooters hands on the range one day. I was standing to his right and a little behind and the top half of the cylinder missed my head by a few inches. The shooter was fine and only a sore wrist for a few days!

ploughman
04-30-2005, 09:27 AM
A mate of mine told me about a restaurant owner he met in Greece who had only one arm and no wife. It seems he used to fish with dynamite, one day his stash got damp so he put it in the oven to dry out. That explains how his wife died. He finally gave up fishing with explosives and founded a restaurant after he blew his arm off far out to sea. Nutter.

taisto_s
04-30-2005, 11:53 AM
I got a hit from a .45acp copper jacket, something like 12 years ago. The "shooter" was firing at some heavy ram siluette targets, when I walked into the wrong zone. The expanded jacket from the impact in to metal flew straight into my leg and cut trough the jeans and started to burn my leg like hell. IT HURTED, afterwards made me realize how much it actually hurts when you are hit by projectile.. I also got some lead shrapnell all over my clothing and one dug into my left hand finger. I can still see the lead under the skin..Some of them rose to the surface by themselves, but one still remains. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

btw. the fragments were glowing red under my skin, took a long time until the stinging stopped..

ok, just wanted to share that experience.

BuzZz_WG
04-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Today, I blew up two times not from my own gun, but because I was too close to the exploding aircraft in front of me. I simply don't know when to stop, even if the plane is already burning http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ploughman
04-30-2005, 01:26 PM
I did, once collide with a B-17 after pulling up into a formation. I panicked, closed my eyes and spasmodically fired my cannons all at the same time, (t'was in a g6 I think, sporting the large calibre artillery available to that mark). Next thing I know I'm in the clear blue beyond, totally untouched with only fragments of Boeing in my rear view mirror. I was astonished.

Aero_Shodanjo
04-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Not exactly getting hit by my own gun and it's not in the game either, but when I was about 10 and practicing shooting with an air rifle, I was mistakenly pulled the trigger when the rifle aimed on the ground. Then suddenly water sprouted like a fountain.

I was surprised and thought that was cool and a miracle...

...until it turned out that I've shot a waterpipe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

EnGaurde
04-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Amazing. I'll try not to go out for a walk in the country. You never know where there are children with extremely lethal weapons and guys chopping trees with shotguns...

Guys, fire weapons are not toys. Those accidents could easily have terminated your lives -or any other's. Luckily, you can tell it. I hope you learned the lesson

well, if you went for that walk on our property, 80km from anywhere, and we happened to cross paths in 2500 acres, and you were close enough to be in danger from a shotgun firing number 4 shot, then i suggest your number would have been up no matter where you were.

and i wont ask what you were doing on private property in the first place.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

here, its usually illegal to shoot on public land. With gun laws in Oz, hooooo weee you DONT wanna be caught for hunting on Crown Land without all manner of impossible to get permits.

and that leg shot you suffered, ****, doesnt get much closer than that. Funnily enough, ive spent time in gun clubs, and i simply dont like them. I get real nervous when several usually obnoxious people are packed close in and all trying to clear blockages or reload around each other. Chills, to the bone.

safer, to be the lone gunner. No one to shoot, noone to be shot by.

on the original point, i recall seeing in guncams all manner of ricochets from US 50cals bouncing off planes, tanks, buildings etc. Apart from the armour spikes on the il2, it would be interesting to see if this is modelled some day.

JunkoIfurita
04-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Best way to shoot in Australia (for those many of us Urban types who don't own properties) is to be either with the Army reserve or the cadets (as I was quite a few years ago).

Getting a marksmanship badge for the Steyr Aug on range was an experience: that's simply an incredibly well designed gun.

Then to the other end, we fired the old SLRs (self loading rifles) that we Aussies were armed with in Vietnam. Three times as heavy as a Steyr and kicks like a mother*beep*.

At least from my experience with the army (although only on the edges, I admit. I'm no military type), their attitude towards weapons is relatively mature. Soldiers caught with live ammunition at any time outside an authorised exercise or the range are severely disciplined or even court-martialled.

And I've got 5 or 6 military relatives, with no a gun nut among them ^_^

Although I have known a few to take an APC for a spin down to the local McDonalds, then complain when they couldn't fit the darn thing through the drive-through.

----

ViolentVolVo
04-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Yes last night in a coop. Came to fast on a IL2, shot at to close range and one of the bouncing rounds hit my own engine.....and the 109 doent like that...so yes, i have shot my self down.....

S!

ruf9ii
05-01-2005, 04:34 AM
isnt it theoretically impossible to be shot by your own guns (in plane)? wouldnt the rounds have your initial speed plus the velocity of the round?

for example, if u were going 400kmph, and ur round is doin 250meters per second (from a stationary firing position), then should the speed of the bullet be 400kmph + 250mps?

only way i can see urself being shot is if u were going same speed as stationary shot speed. of course u would have to shoot the gun while at a stop, and then 'out-accelerate' the round while in flight...

stansdds
05-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Yes, when the round is fired it begins its journey at the same speed as the aircraft, but it also begins to decelerate as soon as it exits the muzzle. So if you fire at a sufficiently high altitude, then begin a shallow dive, it is, at least in theory, possible to intersect the path of the bullets as they fall to earth.

Now there is a true story of at least one real aircraft shooting itself. It was Grumman's experimental F11F-1F Super Tiger. Only two were ever built. During a test flight, one of these supersonic (the F11F-1F was capabable of Mach 2) jets fired its four 20mm cannons, then about one minute later flew through the hail of rounds it had just fired.

BenvZijl
05-01-2005, 12:34 PM
i once was shooting on a p-40, instead of him getting hit by my bulets i was getting bulletholes(in the end i shot my own port wing off http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif), when i crashed server said Darth_Maverick downs Darth_Maverick.

mortoma
05-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:

What was making a child with a malfuctioning trigger .22 loaded with hollow point bullets? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I used to like chopping trees down with the old single barrelled shotgun.

Guys, fire weapons are not toys. Those accidents could easily have terminated your lives -or any other's. Luckily, you can tell it. I hope you learned the lesson.

When I was in the Army, a leutenant almost killed me because he was proud of his accuracy and found so funny to fire his 7.69 Cetme against mosquitos -yes, mosquitos- in the ceiling of his barracks. What the guy didn't think is that the barracks were three-story tall, and the old timber ceiling was not so thick it could stop some of his bullets. I was sitting on a bed, putting on my boots, when something went up thru the floor, passed thru the mattress and pierced my right thigh artery. I never knew what had happened, I lost consciousness almost immediatly.

It was only because an infirmary doctor was just in front of me, that I saved my life. I spent two months in a hospital, and still -after fifteen years- I have pains and bad circulation in my right leg, just because of a moron firing a weapon outside a firing range. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

And I won't tell you of a sergeant that hunted rabbits with grenades and how he eat his meals now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not know that the trigger was malfunctioing until that moment. And I was not a small child, more 13 or so. I took it to a gunsmith and he found what was wrong, until that moment it functioned perfectly. When gun parts malfunction/break, they often do it unexpectedly and suddenly like anything else mechanical!!!

EnGaurde
05-02-2005, 04:22 AM
baaah ahhaah that reminds me.

my nephews dad was an officer in the army here in Oz.

out on patrol one day with his driver, somewhere in Western Australia.

they'd finished looking around for whatever it was they were supposed to, he gets out of the 4wd to unload the Steyr AUG, points the gun down, works the action....

BAM.

round goes clean thru his foot.

he's jumping around at this stage, driver gets out to investigate, sees the torn boot, and renders assistance.

said shooter is sitting down, driver cuts off boot.

sees blood and broken bone.

promptly faints.

there he is, shot foot, fainted driver, miles from anywhere, darkness approaching.

bandages own foot. Picks up driver. Drives for some hours back to camp.

on advice, awaits helo recovery hours into the night.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

gotta lurve that.

Iwatapt
05-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Can't exactly remember how it happened, but in one of my first games of FB I bombed my own wing with the Stuka.

Yog_Shoggoth
05-02-2005, 08:36 PM
After some reflection I have decided that it was a serious design flaw to put a tail on a dauntless.

LuckyBoy1
05-02-2005, 10:29 PM
I once had to bail out and was hit by my own plane!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/Luckyboy1/emergency-provisions.jpg

han freak solo
05-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Yog_Shoggoth:
After some reflection I have decided that it was a serious design flaw to put a tail on a dauntless.

There should be a placard in the cockpit to notify the pilot that reads: AFTER CRUISE ALTITUDE IS ATTAINED, GUNNER IS TO REMOVE VERTICAL FIN AND RUDDER IMMEDIATELY.

It'd be better if it was jettisonable to save ammo! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

han freak solo
05-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
I once had to bail out and was hit by my own plane!

I'm sure some of you heard about this a few days ago. A skydiver in Florida was struck by the same plane he had jumped out of. Really tragic.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/24/tech/main690456.shtml

ploughman
05-03-2005, 04:52 AM
Luckyboy1, you seem to be into Engrish. I used to live in Jakarta and bought a note pad for school, the only note pads available were from Japan and would have sparky little statements in Engrish on each page generally extolling the student to greater academic achievement but occassionally they would come at you from left field with something utterly bizarre. My favourite, and I'm remembering it 20 years later, was "dreams wet we like."

ploughman
05-03-2005, 05:36 AM
Nasty sotry there about skydiving. I did a couple of static line jumps a few years ago. The story the jump-master was using at the time to put the wind up all us first timers was about a woman who'd made a static line jump and came down onto a helicopter that was all warmed up for take off. As this all took place at an Army Air Corps helicpoter base it focused all of our minds somewhat, nobody lost their bottle though.
It's very good fun though, if you get the chance give it a go, the ten second transition from raw animal terror to sublime tranquility is really something.

Salfordian
05-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Similar story to EnGuarde's. When my dad was in Cyprus in 1974 during the invasion, they were on a patrol or something one night near the Turkish and Greek lines. Suddenly they heard a shot in the darkness, leading to an exchange of fire between the parties involved. When calm returned they found out that a member of the battalion on another patrol in the area had been injured. Turned out he had shot himself in the leg with his sterling by accident with the first shot they had all heard.

Asgeir_Strips
05-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Tonight I was behind a P-51D with a Bf109G6/AS I had the 20mm gun pods on. I shot from about a plane length distance. MY OWN 20MM shells blew when they hit him (he did not blow up but he was finished anyway). My plane was also damaged by the shell exploding (not from any debris of his plane) and I got damaged from them.

Nope, never.... But its impossible for your plane to fly faster than the bullet you fired... Thats impossible... its okay that your plane was damaged from the blast when it exploded on the 'Stang, but a plane can never catch a bullet itself fired.. (maybe the blackbird, but i dont think thats possible)

I think this is quite possible... I am amazed.

destroyex
05-03-2005, 12:30 PM
You all are *******es :P

han freak solo
05-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Ploughman said: It's very good fun though, if you get the chance give it a go, the ten second transition from raw animal terror to sublime tranquility is really something.

My brother loved it, too. He was 82nd Airborne in the mid 1980s. I got some great pics he gave me from back then. I'll try to post them in a few days.

destroyex, I'm not a dumb*ss! If you remember a few weeks back, I'm a certified *ssh#le!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif