PDA

View Full Version : Deck gun dismount - is that possible?

U734
02-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I think I have mentioned several times that I try to play as close as possible to the way the German WW2 U-boat commanders worked, so that is the reason again for starting another thread:

Can I dismount my 88mm deck gun from my VIIC from 1942-43? Boats of later years had them dismounted because constant air patrol left them with little time to use them, and encounters with lone ships were rare; plus to that, removing the deck gun decreased the drag underwater and increased diving speed a little I think.

So can I dismount that gun? And if that's not possible, will the VIIC/41 (which I'm planning to transfer to in 1943) come without it?

Thanks

Realjambo
02-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Yes you can, if you use SH3 Commander.

Download SH3 Commander here (http://www.users.on.net/%7Ejscones/software/products.html)

U734
02-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks a lot.

Goose_Green
02-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I realise your question has been answered, but here is another observation.

On certain occasions when the conning tower has been upgraded the deck gun is missing or not replaced, you can use this feature to remove the deck gun or not have it replaced. But, SH3 Commander is the easiest way of doing this.

Foehammer-1
02-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Speaking of which, removing the deck gun does not reduce the drag in the game, so your both diving and submerged speeds are unaffected. At least that's what it seemed like when I did that

lecek
02-01-2007, 10:31 PM
I have modded the conning towers so that they don't come with the deck gun by default. (except the first one) This is a simple mod and I can provide details if you want, of course if you go with SH3 commander you don't need to do this. I also think many supermods have the same micro mod I mention above included.

In the stock game the conning towers come with a deck gun and you can't remove them so that if you start a campaign in say 42 with a VII, it will start without a deck gun but one will be added as soon as you upgrade to the #3 tower.

U734
02-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Thanks for replies.

2 lecek
I plan to upgrade to the VIIC/2 tower at first, and then to a VIIC/3 in 1943; so will I be able to remove the gun with only SH3 Commander?

U734
02-02-2007, 11:57 AM
I just installed SH3 Commander but couldn't find the deck gun removal option. Maybe it only works on VIIC/2 & VIIC/3 towers?

demigod151
02-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Personally, I think, from the game point of view, since the deck gun has no effect on diving and or speed. You may as well leave it on, you never know when it may come in handy. Then again, you would expect a VIIc/3 conning tower to provide more drag and slow the boat down underwater right? It doesn't so I leave the gun on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Spider-Hulk/SH3/example.jpg

That is what you need to do. Make sure you are back at dock click the blue writing where it says U-Boat type, and then it says "remove" then you click "deck gun" and budda bing! No more deck gun! Happy hunting!

U734
02-03-2007, 03:02 AM
Thank you. And about the drag - the reason I want to remove the gun is that the realism means everything for me, so, as the German U-boats had them removed starting from ~1943, I wish to do the same. Even if it has no effect on drag http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.