PDA

View Full Version : I SUCK! Where to start?

duketoga
03-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi, I just got the full installation of IL-2, FB, AE and PF. I have been frantically trying to learn how to play, and after many hours have become frustrated!

Mainly, I am playing "Quick Missions", and engaging 2 enemies while learning the controls. I have gotten the jist of main manuevers from the tutorials, and can take off. However, I still suck an am lost on how to better learn. The tutorials on the net are rather lacking.

Specifically, I can't fly any proper missions due to the fact that I have no idea whatsoever what I am supposed to be doing. I put the map on and try to follow the waypoints, but without autopilot I can't find my wingmen. Staying with them in battle and issuing orders is also a no-go. Landing, bombing and operating the gunners has not been possible - ever.

Is there anywhere I can get some tutorials on how to start, and how to progress? I feel like diving into everything has succeeded only in me learning nothing.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated as I really love the game and want to get into the thick of it. I use a logitech 3D joystick and just got CH Products pedals (which are excellent, BTW).

-Duke

pacettid
03-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Hello Duke,
Welcome aboard! As frustrating as it might seem right now, I encourage you to persevere. A good place to start is at the Important Links (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4871047252) section of this forum.

You might also consider joining an online virtual squadron. There is a dedicated forum here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=400102&f=48310655) for squadrons who are recruiting, and I can think of no better way to learn than to take advantage of this venue. If you think you might be interested, the Fallen Angels would be glad to talk with you, and help in any way we can. You can find us at FA Forums (http://favacw.dyndns.org/faforum/index.php?sid=f95ec389b4b436acca2c742495b9d755). We also have a dedicated Team Speak Server at 70.87.121.84, so drop-in and we can chat for a bit. If you have never heard of it before, Team Speak is a voice over ip application that is very popular with the IL2 community. All you need is a microphone and the Team Speak application, which can be found here (http://www.goteamspeak.com/).

In any case, good luck and welcome to a great community.

Waldo.Pepper
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I have gotten the jist of main manuevers from the tutorials, and can take off.

This won't be very helpful to duketoga at all, but I am struck by the following thought and am moved to write. This little missive of mine falls into the 'food for thought' category.

The stage that sprog pilot duketoga is at is EXACTLY the level of competence that many BOB pilots were at at the start of the battle. Certainly the experience level that duketoga is at is again EXACTLY the same as some newly minted Luftwaffe pilots during the closing stages of the European war and most certainly the same level of ability that Japanese pilots were at during their last year of combat.

They weren't playing a game, they were fighting for their life and the overwhelmingly majority lost the fight.

Just be patient duke, the only solution is hours and hours of practice. A luxury we all can afford.

PFflyer
03-12-2007, 01:19 PM
What settings are you flying on? You will notice there is a "difficulty" button where you can open up a feature and enable or disable various features of the sim.

I would suggest starting by flying with no cockpit, and icons enabled, this way you will be able to see targets better, and your wingmen and all other aircraft will have big colored arrows pointing at them.

As you get used to the sim, you can begine enabling more and more of the difficulty options and learn them one at a time.

Make sure you don't get stuck on one level of difficulty and end up staying there forever like 90% of those who fly this sim. Be daring, and make things interesting by eventually flying with 100% of all the sims features enabled. This is commonly called "full real", or "full switch". But the sim just calls it the "Hard" setting, because you need the most number of skills that actual combat pilots had in WWII to do well in it, like navigation, identifying planes by their silhouettes, learning blind shooting and so forth.

Welcome aboard and good luck. Email me at sportspecial@hotmail.com, and I will send you instructions to set up your stick and send you some tracks on how to track opponents and such when you fly in combat.

Oh yeah, you have got to find settings that make if fun for you, because if you want to fly against online aces on servers with harder settings, you will need about a years worth of practice, three to four times a week to become merely average. If you have natural aptitude for the sim, and stick with it, in a couple years you might get into the top 10% of online pilots, as far as skill and savvy goes.

There are guys here who have been flying this sim since it came out and have close to six years experience with it, and even other flight sims before that. They are going to be shooting you to pieces for the next few years online, so get comfortable with that.

You will swear they are cheating, even after you have a year or so experience, they will shoot you down very easily and you will think they have hacked the sim, but they are just that good.

So you will not have any fun with this sim if you have to have fun shooting other planes down online. You have to start by having fun offline, with the QMB.

When you can consistently shoot down six ace AI opponents under hard settings, then you might be able to give one online ace an interesting time....

AVGWarhawk
03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Rome was not built in a day. It will take some time but keep at it because once you get proficient, it can be a great game.

Zeus-cat
03-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I suggest you start with a plane that is that you practice with planes that are "easy" to fly. I have always found the IL-2 to be very forgiving. The SBD-3 and -5 are also nice to practice with. Practice takeoff and landings on land with these birds and then move on to more difficult aircraft. The IL-2 and SBDs can be landed at about 100-110 mph.

If you need practice missions let me know, I can whip some up pretty quick.

AVGWarhawk
03-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I suggest you start with a plane that is that you practice with planes that are "easy" to fly. I have always found the IL-2 to be very forgiving. The SBD-3 and -5 are also nice to practice with. Practice takeoff and landings on land with these birds and then move on to more difficult aircraft. The IL-2 and SBDs can be landed at about 100-110 mph.

If you need practice missions let me know, I can whip some up pretty quick.

Zues is right here. Fly the more forgiving aircraft. The early zero's are nice. Also, you must think three dimensionally.

mandrill7
03-12-2007, 02:27 PM
My 0.02.

It takes a LONG time to get good at this game. Be patient and don't get (very) frustrated. I whipped up a bunch of landing missions because I STILL screw them up and I've been flying for 18 months. I'd be happy to send you a few.

In the QMB, reduce all opposition to "rookie" level. That way you're on an even playing field. Use the map when you dogfight to cheat and see what's sneaking up behind you. I did that all the time when I began. Of course, now I'm a pro I would NEVER do that - http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Start off flying the Il-2. It's unstallable - almost. And it's a lot easier ground-pounding than dogfighting. You just have to watch out for the ground hitting you. You can vary how closely you look out thru your windscreen. If you lean in close, you magnify the ground objects and then you can actually spot the little b*ggers before you fly over them.

Many planes have tendencies you have to watch out for. P-39's will stall if you try and turn too tightly. Ditto P-51's and FW190's. Some of the others not so much.

Like the other guys said, the sim imitates RL in the length of time it takes to develop skills. Good luck.

-HH-Quazi
03-12-2007, 02:56 PM
There is also a free virtual flying school at www.joint-ops.com (http://www.joint-ops.com) designed specifically for people that are brand new to this sim. There is a Basic Flight School session that will be starting the first week of April. All the instructors, as well as the people that participate in JO are very helpful and I am sure you could get a great start in learning this sim by taking the time to participate there. Check the link out and read about it.

VW-IceFire
03-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by duketoga:
Mainly, I am playing "Quick Missions", and engaging 2 enemies while learning the controls. I have gotten the jist of main manuevers from the tutorials, and can take off. However, I still suck an am lost on how to better learn. The tutorials on the net are rather lacking.

Specifically, I can't fly any proper missions due to the fact that I have no idea whatsoever what I am supposed to be doing. I put the map on and try to follow the waypoints, but without autopilot I can't find my wingmen. Staying with them in battle and issuing orders is also a no-go. Landing, bombing and operating the gunners has not been possible - ever.

Is there anywhere I can get some tutorials on how to start, and how to progress? I feel like diving into everything has succeeded only in me learning nothing.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated as I really love the game and want to get into the thick of it. I use a logitech 3D joystick and just got CH Products pedals (which are excellent, BTW).

-Duke
Welcome Duke. Starting off in the QMB is the best place you can be. This is where I started. I would just fly whatever seemed interesting and available (at the time there were only a half dozen planes so there was far less) and try my luck at bringing down the AI. Usually in 2 vs 2, 4 vs 4, 8 vs 8, 8 vs 4, 4 vs 8 and whatever it took to make things interesting. Then I started working on some of the single missions provided in the game. You don't get much choice from the initial package but there are addons you can download (check the link in my signature and have a look for AEP Single Mission Pack which should still work fine in the current version). Tons more at that website as well.

But work that way and then worry about all the details. I didn't even try level bombing for a year and the first time I did bombing, dive bombing, and the like it was a total failure. But things get better. I only recently figured out the Stuvi dive bomb sight on the Ju-87D-5 Stuka and Ju-88. So realize that there's tons to this game...you won't learn it all at once and some of it you'll never touch but I always take great joy that while nobody can be good at everything you can always find many specialized pilots online and in the online battles that we fight some folks are absolutely amazing ground pounders but terrible fighters and vice versa. The game gives us each something to work with.

XyZspineZyX
03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi, I just got the full installation of IL-2, FB, AE and PF. I have been frantically trying to learn how to play, and after many hours have become frustrated!

Mainly, I am playing "Quick Missions", and engaging 2 enemies while learning the controls.

There's the trouble right therehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If you don't know how to become comfortable flying, and you don't know how to make the plane do what you want it to do, how do you take on 1 enemy, let alone 2?

Pick a plane, and learn to fly it. practice some aerobatics, and see what the plane will do in various situations, and learn to control it. Find out what the planes does and doesn't do, and then make it do what you want it to

if you just take the plane up for a spin, slap the controls around a bit, and think you know how to fly, you have just stumbled over Rule Number One:

Always fly the plane. Never just go along for the ride.

Davinci..
03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
You need to learn to walk before you can run. You're a lot better off learning how to "fly" before you try fighting. "engaging 2 enemies while learning the controls" is probably not the best way to do things, in the middle of a fight is the last place you want to be when learning the controls http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Start off slow, and learn to fly your aircraft around, do takeoffs, landings, practice turning and how your aircraft responds to maneuvers. When you feel like you can fly around and have the confidence to do whatever maneuvers you want without falling out of the sky, then start taking on some enemy aircraft in the quick mission builder. Start with 1 on rookie, and work your way up as you get better at "fighting" them.

Start with some of the simpler aircraft, like the hurricane, spitfire, and zero. They all are exceptionally easy to control aircraft and have good easy flying characteristics(few bad tendencies). Some other aircraft can bite you in the butt if you do something wrong in them(and you dont want to be finding that out in the middle of a fight http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

It takes time, but you will get the hang of it. Quite a number of us have been at it for years, and it does take time to soak it all up.

As for difficulty settings, that is a personal choice for you. Some of us like a good furball(shoot em up arcade style), others prefer more immersion(fly planned missions with objectives). What ever your cup of tea is, dont read to much into any style being "noob" or anything like that. You'll get the most out of the game flying it how "you" want it.

I would take "Pacettid" up on his over. I fly on the Winds of War server regularly, and have had nothing but good experiences there. They are a good fun bunch of guys to fly with and against, and would probably be very helpful to you. Once you've learned how to fly and fight, they would be great to fly missions with and teach you the ropes and such, so you'd get to learn how it all comes together(when you are ready of course).

Good luck

stalkervision
03-12-2007, 03:46 PM

-Duke

well the first thing you have realised is that you do suck. Yes you do. That is a good start. You probably will always suck having these little skills but for now we will all take pity on you and pretend you won't. First you probably don't even know the difference between your game joystick and your real joystick and use both interchangeably while flying missions. This won't improve your piloting skills whatsoever. Your game joystick is long and hard and has buttons. Your real joystick is the exact opposite of that and girls make derogatory remarks like "is that all there is?" when they see it. The first battle in learning anything is to "know your equiptment" While I am sure you have learned how to use one of these "tools" on solo missions quite well this won't help you whatsoever in Il-2.

end of part one..

Cajun76
03-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by stalkervision:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by duketoga:

-Duke

well the first thing you have realised is that you do suck. Yes you do. That is a good start. You probably will always suck having these little skills but for now we will all take pity on you and pretend you won't. First you probably don't even know the difference between your game joystick and your real joystick and use both interchangeably while flying missions. This won't improve your piloting skills whatsoever. Your game joystick is long and hard and has buttons. Your real joystick is the exact opposite of that and girls make derogatory remarks like "is that all there is?" when they see it. The first battle in learning anything is to "know your equiptment" While I am sure you have learned how to use one of these "tools" on solo missions quite well this won't help you whatsoever in Il-2.

end of part one.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spare us part two.... more inane drivel.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

duketoga
03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all of the replies (except stalkervision). I was indeed using Normal difficuly and now find Easy to be more practical to learn initially.

I only was using 1 vs. 2 because I was able to destroy the enemy plane in 1 on 1 most of the time, and I thought I should learn without too many planes in the sky (like 4 vs 4 or whatever).

I will take the advice to learn the planes without any enemies, as well try to enroll in the flight school (thanks -HH-Quazi for the link).

It's a helpful and friendly forum here (bad apple aside). Thanks for all the help!

-Duke

stalkervision
03-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all of the replies (except stalkervision). I was indeed using Normal difficuly and now find Easy to be more practical to learn initially.

I only was using 1 vs. 2 because I was able to destroy the enemy plane in 1 on 1 most of the time, and I thought I should learn without too many planes in the sky (like 4 vs 4 or whatever).

I will take the advice to learn the planes without any enemies, as well try to enroll in the flight school (thanks -HH-Quazi for the link).

It's a helpful and friendly forum here (bad apple aside). Thanks for all the help!

-Duke

Who Me?.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif Newbie initiation. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif You will thank me later when you remember not to get them mixed up and try to pull 9g turn or an inverted loop with the wrong one "Grass Hopper" and I am sure you know there is nothing worse then getting your joystick bent small as it is.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/Kung_Fu-From_Dark_Angel.png/800px-Kung_Fu-From_Dark_Angel.png

You have much to learn "Grasshopper"... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

x6BL_Brando
03-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Picking up on a couple of points above I want to suggest that you spend a half-hour checking out another great facet of your new 'game'; that is the full mission builder (FMB). With very little effort you can load any map and place the aircraft of your choice on a runway, add a 2nd waypoint, save the mission, and practice take-offs (& landings) to your heart's content. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
A bit later on you could add in ground assets for some strafing practice...and in COOP mode you could add in moving targets and then ships, and finally enemy aircraft. As long as you create a new name for each step you can still retain the most simple one that you started with.

After half-a-decade of owning this sim I still have a 'quiet map' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif It's useful for practising navigation - leaning a new plane - or just chilling out before or after a hectic session on-line or off. Changing the plane-type is a thirty second job in the FMB in case you wondered.
Easier still is to open a dogfight arena - under the Multiplayer option. You can switch planes more easily - but you need to taxi (if you don't select Air-start) out to the runway every time.
That's just my tuppence-worth - something you might check out once the first flush of flight has passed.

Welcome in. I add my suggestion to those above - per ardua ad astra - it's worth the effort.

B

You can go here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/50910533) for good advice and help with this arm of the game.

stalkervision
03-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Cajun76:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by duketoga:

-Duke

end of part one.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spare us part two.... more inane drivel.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I decided to challange the King. Don't worry judging from your posts your quite an expert in "drivel" and in no jeopardy of losing your title. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

XyZspineZyX
03-12-2007, 08:51 PM

end of part one..

Who the hell are you again? I feel like I missed a memo. Is there some reason anyone should pay attention to your prattling, or are you like a self-fulfilling prophecy about feeding babies chili?

stalkervision
03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by BBB462cid:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:

end of part one..

Who the hell are you again? I feel like I missed a memo. Is there some reason anyone should pay attention to your prattling, or are you like a self-fulfilling prophecy about feeding babies chili? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously you are missing much more then a memo.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

XyZspineZyX
03-12-2007, 09:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB462cid:

end of part one..

Who the hell are you again? I feel like I missed a memo. Is there some reason anyone should pay attention to your prattling, or are you like a self-fulfilling prophecy about feeding babies chili? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously you are missing much more then a memo.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Like patience. Let me ask you a question:

Do you like posting here?

Zeus-cat
03-12-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm thinking of puttung together a quick training campaign. I already have some missions made that I could rework so this should only take a few days to slap together.

I'll start it out on land with an SBD-3.

Mission 1: takeoff with 50% fuel - no landing
Mission 2: takeoff with 100% fuel and one 250 pound bomb - no landing
Mission 3: takeoff with 100% fuel and one 1600 pound bomb - no landing
Mission 4: landing
Mission 5: practice bombing and landing
Mission 6: takeoff, practice bombing and landing
Mission 7: bad weather takeoff and landing.
Mission 8-?: carrier ops starting with a big carrier and then moving to an escort carrier.

Switch over to the F4F and continue carrier ops and gunnery practice, etc.

Any specific missions people think should be included? I intend this to be used by PF only people as well as merged installs, so the planeset must be those aircraft available in PF.

Zeus-cat
03-12-2007, 10:57 PM
I have the first 4 missions done. The rest should come along quickly too.

Bearcat99
03-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by BBB462cid:
Yeah, Like patience. Let me ask you a question:
Do you like posting here?

We wont know for a week...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Welcome aboard duke. Much good advice I recommend that you do this. Go into the sim.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Preflight</span>
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">1</span>-Go to CONTROLS and make sure that you have the following functions mapped, either to a key on your keyboard or on your stick or that you know where they are in the case that they are already mapped:
A-Chocks
B-Tailhook
C-Wing Fold
D-Radiator
E-Canopy Open
F-Supercharger > <
G-Mixture > <
H-Prop Pitch > <
I-Toggle All Engines
A-Left Engines
B-Right Engines
K-Trim-All 3 trims are good to have but IMO rudder and elevator are a must.
L-Weapons 1-4 Machine guns, cannon, rockets & bombs.
Also All of the views...F1-F5 and FOV WIDE,NORMAL & GUNSIGHT. (These are preset I believe so just know where they are).

2-Go to the Quick Mission Builder>go to the difficulty screen. On that first page the only thing that you should DESELECT (meaning the light will be out) is Limited Ammo. Hit Next in the lower right hand corner and another screen will pop up. On that page DESELECT - Cockpit Always On,No External Views,No Icons,No Padlock,No Map icons,No Minimap Path and No Speedbar. All else should have a light on. Then click BACK 3 times.

NOTE: Some of these settings are temporary, just so that you can remove some of the frustration factor from the sim, however you should NEVER EVER fudge on flight settings. Keep the flying portion of the sim as realistic as possible as far as stalls ..... Where you can bend things is on the settings like external views and icons etc. Some might say eliminate CEM (Complex Engine Management) as well but I think that is a bad idea... It is best to get used to how the plane will perform in it's fullness. In the beginning these changes will help you immensely in getting used to the sim and how it works. As you get comfortable you can and should tighten things up a bit. I still use externals and icons although I very very rarely fly outside of the cockpit (As in no cockpit around you at all) and I like to set my icons extremely tight... so that they show up much closer than the default settings.. but for now this is good to learn on .

Now that you have done all that Preflight stuff comes the hands on.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Hands On Phase One</span>
Go to Multiplay>Create New Server>(Make sure Gametype is Dogfight)>Create>2>Dogfight 4 or 5 (Which should be Dogfight for 2 armies winter or summer). Select a base..... For this part of the exercise select a base in the rear... any one will do.. pick a plane (I recommend that you consider one initially.. and stick with it until you at least get through phase one)> select arming. In the arming screen set your fuel to 100% set gun convergence to 300 for both for now. Hit fly. You will find yourself on the Tarmac... start your engine... taxi to the runway and take off. Fly a circuit around the airfield and land. Practice trying to do touch and gos... almost landing... fly around in the sky... turn dive.... if you crash hit escape... then refly... and do it over and over until you can get up... fly around and land reasonably well. Once you can do that and you are comfortable go on to Phase 2.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Hands On Phase Two</span>
Gio back into the same multiplayer DF (DogFight) server that you have been using, but this time select a base closer to the front..as in closer to the bases of the opposite color. Select your plane. Select a weapons load.... hit fly. Take off... go to the nearest enemy base and try to bomb it. The flak will be tough. Very tough. This practice will help you to learn how to take off with ordinance.. which if you set things up correctly should be different from a clean take off... it will help you to practice ground attack. It will help you to practice landing a damaged bird.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Hands On Phase Three</span>
Go into the QMB (Quick Mission Builder), set up a QM. For this first one make your enemies rookies and put them in inferior aircraft. Use all the enemy slots. Initially ONLY IN THE BEGINNING for this phase, go back to the difficulty screen and make yourself invulnerable. Do that until you start to get more hits... but be aware when you are getting hit and try to still avoid it. You will have unlimited ammo... but don't spray and pray. Now you can practice your air to air gunnery. Pay attention to how the bullets behave. The numbers in the icons are in kilometers.. so when you see a plane at .30.. that is 300 meters... the convergence number you set earlier. Dont shoot when they are too far away. When you get used to the 300 meter convergence then change it to 200-275. When you find yourself getting more accurate then change the conditions.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Hands On Phase Four</span>
Remove the invulnerability.... and instead of using all the enemy slots use just two. Keep them rookies and in inferior planes though. When you get comfortable with that or ready for the next level of challenge upgrade the enemy planes... maybe give yourself a wingman... you can go through that cycle until you are competent enough to at least handle yourself. AS you cycle up with upgrading the enemy planes upgrade their skill level too... add more... add more wingmen for yourself.

By that time you will be well on your way. If you do this over say... the next 14 to 28 days... you will only suck as bad or pretty near as bad as the rest of us.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Lastly.... Hit the Sturmovik Essentials Link in my sig... lots of good stuff there. Particulaly Airwarfare.com and Mission4Today...

In Pursuit: An Online Pilot's Guide to Aerial Combat (http://web.comhem.se/%7Eu85627360/)
Neural Dream's Aircraft Reference Guide (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=316)
Hardball's Aircraft Viewer (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=325) an online version of the guide basically.. both are very good.
Uber Quick Mission Generator (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=367) - This tool will help you to create more diverse quick missions to practice with. It comes with an extensive help file and is pretty easy to use once you do it a few times.
Mission Mate (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=8) A mission building utility similar to The U.Q.M.G. but different. IMO both are good and deserving of a place on any FB simmers HD. I think MM is a bit easier to use.... but The UQMG has other features that make it a must have as well.... better to have and use both. You will never need the QMB again.
IL2 Manager 5.0 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=355) This utility will allow you to make certain adjustments within the config file.. like graphics setting etc. on a gui. While it is highly recommended that you learn where these things are in the config file, once you know that... easy and quick is the way to go. It also has a stick editor which will allow you to set up different profiles for your joystick sensitivity settings.
IL2 Stab (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1444) Similar to IL2 Manager but without the stick editor and with a Diary feature.
VAC (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=search)- Voice Actvated Commands - This utility is very similar to SHOOT.. it allows you to interact with your PC and thus the sim with voice commands. Very useful in coops. A bit tricky.. but a good program.
Sniper's Corner (http://ourworld.cs.com/Abra772/SC_2_Eng.zip) a nice utility to help get the angles aspect of A2A gunnery in your head - Gunnery at AW.C (http://www.airwarfare.com/tactics/tactics_fwgunnery.htm)-A good explenation of the tool and what is does. Also this entire section at AW.C is a really good resource.

ACM (http://www.aqqm31.dsl.pipex.com/ACM.zip) - Short for Air Comabt Maneuvers - This program will show you a short video of various combat maneuvers.... yo yos, immelmans etc. It is a very usefull tool.

There are tons more to be found here M4T Downloads (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=search) and some excellent guides on everything from setting up yourhardware to mission building here AW.C guides (http://airwarfare.com/simnetwork/index.php)but I figured these were good starting points to get us on our way and to help any newcomers get up to speed.

Cajun76
03-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I have the first 4 missions done. The rest should come along quickly too.

Hats off, Zeus. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Something constructive! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

badatit
03-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Some good stuff posted so far.
I would like to add...
In the controls setup, scroll down to
MISC.
Map a key to Quick Start/Save Track

Use it...every flight.
Make this part of your start up procedure.
Start the Quick Track before you start your engine.

This button starts (or stops) a quick track.
A track can be viewed in the track viewer.
The Track Viewer is a very powerful learning tool.
(track files are located in the Records Folder)

Make a takeoff, landing, bombing run, strafing run, fighter sweep, whatever.

After a bad run, review the track to see what you did wrong.
After a good run, review the track to see what you did right.
Tracks are invaluable when...
"&*%#" I'm dead...What got me?...Where did he come from?...How did he pull off That manuever?...Did I hit that guy at all?...All of these questions, and more, can be answered by viewing the track.

During playback, if you hit Esc., you have the option to enable Time Compression and Manual View.
If these are left at default you will see "exactly" what the pilot saw, in real time.

1)Time Compression (speed up/ Slow down the track)
2)Manual View Control (use this to see what you will...instrument panel, outside view, target view, etc.)

Also, in the quick mission builder, you can set the armament loadout for all planes (not just yours). Try setting all of the AI's to Empty.
This is great for trying out/dialing in weaponry/convergence settings on unfamiliar/familiar aircraft.

Aircraft assigned to the friendly slots are sitting ducks (they fly straight ahead).
Aircraft assigned the the enemy slots will evade (when you close, to within gun range).

Salute

DarkWingDuck...
03-13-2007, 03:50 AM
Next time (if you have a camera (phone possibly)
take a picture of them sitting on the shelf with the tag

DarkWingDuck...
03-13-2007, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by DarkWingDuck...:
Next time (if you have a camera (phone possibly)
take a picture of them sitting on the shelf with the tag

feck wrong tred, how did that happen?

Dagnabit
03-13-2007, 04:21 AM
Hello Duketoga, and welcome.
I was about to give you a comprehensive rundown on the entire sim, but I see that Zeus-cat, and Bearcat, have given you one or two pointers to get you started. That should keep you busy till tomorrow. Ill be back then to give you some info that isnt quite so insufficient.
I would do it right now but I dont want to appear to be trying to "one up" anyone. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

OK OK!!! Ill stop!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif
My humble appoligies for a weak attempt at some humor. Im just goofing off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Seriously: As you can see, there isnt a shortage of assistance here, and betewwn Bearcat, and Zeus-cat, you wont find many people that are more qualified to give assistance.
Actually Im new here too, and I wish to thank these guys, because Im sure I will be able to use alot of this info as well.
This is a great sim. and a very good forum for the most part, aside from a couple posers, and wannabes. Unfortunatly they sell computers to anyone, so we get to meet "interesting people", as well as those who are sane. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
Best of luck to you, and stick with it, it is worth the effort.

Regards
Dag

PS BC&ZC. ERRR MMMmmm My checks are in the mail, right guys? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ALSO: Good stuff from badatit, and I would add to that, to hit "T" when you start up for "wing tip smoke". It helps me alot sometimes to see ecactly what angles my wings are at presently, and for perhaps a km. or more behind the aircraft as well. Very cool for aerobatics and tight turning manuvers.

GIAP.Shura
03-13-2007, 06:00 AM
I think Redtail has given you the best advice so far, namely:

NEVER EVER fudge on flight settings

If you do, when you "go up a level" you will be pretty much back at stage one. As others have said, learn to take off, fly and land your plane with 100% success. Anything else means you are not in control.

I would recommend the following procedure but being more of a groundpounder than a fighter jockey it should probably be taken with a grain of salt. Start by flying with the IL2 which is easy to take off and land, difficult to stall and is easy to control. It also has a minimalist cockpit layout which helps in learning to read the dials and guages. After learning fundamental flight operations (and, yes, landing is a fundamental flight operation) learn gunnery against stationary ground targets, then moving ground targets. After this do the same with an early war aircraft which should have low engine power, no fuel injection and preferably some torque issues to deal with. Possible contenders would be the I16, I153 or the early Hurricanes. They should teach you how height more than engine power is generally what determines your speed, the problems of dealing with torque and the importance of generally avoiding negative g maneouvres. After this stage, then select a plane which you really want to fly and spend a long time with it, learning all the procedures necessary for its operations.

Something people haven't mentioned so far is motivation. The learning curve of this sim is very steep at the start. I first started this sim with the original IL2, had the same frustrations that you are feeling and put the game on the shelf for about a year or so. After a while messing with other sims, I thought I would check out IL2 again. I made the effort and managed to push through the initial difficulty and haven't looked back since. In other words motivation is paramount. The number of options in the game is so large that without good motivation and a clear idea of what you want it is very easy to lose direction and interest. Ways of keeping up motivation:

1. Fly a plane you really want to fly.
2. Have goals for your general training (land three times in a row, destroy x number of ground targets, etc.)
3. Have fun as well. Sure training is good but the sim is about fun. Take time off from your training to try out different planes, try a carrier landing or to see if you can fly under that bridge or whatever takes you fancy.
4. If the idea of joining a squadron appeals to you at all, do so. The enjoyment of flying well with friends is considerably greater than flying alone. However, be honest with your squadron about what you expect from them and what they can expect from you, that way you will be more likely to find the squadron that fits.

This sim is a great game and if you can reach a sufficient level of competence, all the work you put into it will be amply rewarded.

Zoom2136
03-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Best way to learn is...

In QMB... set up a flight of 16x C47 Dakotas... these things are slow and UNARMED...

Select NO-Altitude advantage... clear skies... etc...

Select ALL real except for UNLIMITED AMMO...

Select you're favorite plane and GO...

And try going at them from all angle... you will practice...

energy tactics (BOOM & ZOOM (B&Z))... climb... dive... shoot... climb... and extend... turn... dive... shoot... you get my drift... these will teach you that speed and altitude = life... and low and slow= an unmaneivrable plane which means a dead plane... ENERGY TACTICS are better suited for some plane (i.e.: FW190).

Turn and Burn (T&B) if you have a manoevreble plane (i.e. Spit, LA, P40) will make you able to twist and turns in order to mix it up with a bad guy... BUT remember... even if you are in a manoeuvrable plane... if you let you're speed drop to much... you will get LOW on energy and you could fall victim to a plane B&Zing...

I beleive that a pilot (in this game as we don't feel the effect of fatigue) should always be riding the black/red out... this mean that all manoeuvers are performed at the fastest speed possible... this will mean that you are always carying the most energy through your maneouvers and you will have more options if you end up having to go defencive...

duketoga
03-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Wow, thanks a lot for the massive amount of help! This community is fantastic - I am a little irked at stalkervision for his comments, not because they bothered me, but rather because they undermine the goodwill found on the forum. Good to let him cool off a bit.

So, Zeus, REDTAIL, badatit, Shura, etc., THANKS! I have plenty to keep me busy, and I will use REDTAILS training program along with the other hints/recommendations, and then utilize Zeus' missions to practice as well.

Thanks again to Quazi for the heads-up on the Flight Ops beginner course; I registered for it for June, which is okay by me as it gives me some time to brush up on the fundamentals.

Cheers,
-Duke

joeap
03-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:

We wont know for a week...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Good on you for the helpful advice too BC, you and all the others. Really nice.

Also, Waldo.Pepper's comment about the lack of training for many pilots struck me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

SeminoleX
03-13-2007, 12:33 PM
If you want to avoid a crushing load of frustration as you learn to fly and play this sim....turn off vernability...in the beginning.

Nothing short of a bucket of ice cold water will chill your spirit as will investing a fair chunk of your gaming time and effort...flying to your target area....doing everything "right"...only to be shot out of the sky with the first flak burst, the first pass of an AI rookie pilot, or burst from some deadeye tail gunner ....and finding yourself back to square one...then doing the same thing again and again and again and again.

Nothing wrong with playing over a safety net as you gain the required experience to live in the IL2 skies.

Hartford688
03-13-2007, 12:47 PM
This is a great thread. Lots of really good advice. As usual it is not just the poster who gets the benefit, but lots of us "lurkers". Thanks everyone for taking the time.

Bearcat99
03-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Wow, thanks a lot for the massive amount of help! This community is fantastic - I am a little irked at stalkervision for his comments, not because they bothered me, but rather because they undermine the goodwill found on the forum. Good to let him cool off a bit.

He is on vacation.....

MEGILE
03-13-2007, 02:49 PM

Your real joystick is the exact opposite of that and girls make derogatory remarks like "is that all there is?" when they see it.

Never happened to me.. but I understand why you would be upset about it.

rnzoli
03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Strange thread title. Was a little bit wondering, whether it's a sex ad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
03-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I forgot to mention Trim... rudder & elevator are a must.. aileron trim is optional but it has helped me out on more than one occasion with a hole in my wing.

And also Toggle engines
A-All
B-Left
C-Right.. this is for planes like the P-38 or the Pe2 or B-25s.. or even the Do-335.

msalama
03-15-2007, 01:25 AM
One little - but IMHO important - thing more:

Make your key mappings your own and you'll remember them better. I've got all that stuff re-done & am using commands like "E A" = select all engines, "E 1" = select / unselect engine 1, "ctrl F" = flaps down, "shift F" = flaps up, "L" = toggle level autopilot and so on. Try it, it helps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Zeus-cat
03-15-2007, 10:23 PM
I've got 11 missions complete out of the 22 I have planned. I should get this finished over the weekend. I have attached the readme for your review. I plan on putting all of the mission briefings in both Word and notepad formats so that people can print them out and refer to them while in the missions.

I will also include a folder of simple carrier takeoff and landing missions for most of the aircraft in PF.

All the missions are simple and do not have much "window dressing" as they are meant to be training aids.

README
This campaign is all about learning how to master takeoffs, landings and basic flight functions for several of the planes in the Pacific Fighters (and IL-2 1946) simulation. The missions start off with very easy objectives and then progress to more complicated ones. Most of the missions cover one basic concept and are very short in length. The later missions are somewhat more complicated as they piece togther things you have learned in the earlier missions.

The campaign assumes you are a typical pilot recruit of World War II and are straight off the farm and have little knowledge of flying. I include tips and advice as I step you through each mission. The tips are based on the way I "fly" and may not neccessarly be the best way to do things. The intent is to get you started enjoying this sim.

The missions are in a campaign format as I think it will help you feel you are making progress as you go from one mission to the next. The campaign format also allows you to replay the current mission if you feel you did not perform it well. As in all IL-2 missions, hit Esc (escape) to exit the mission. If you wish to advance, select Apply. If you wish to repeat the mission, select Refly.

All the missions, as well as other training missions, are included in a seperate folder if you care to fly them at any time as single missions for extra practice.

The first 16 missions use the SBD-3, which is a US Navy dive-bomber. It is very easy to fly compared to the high performance fighters that are in the game. Following those missions are three missions in the F4F-4 "Wildcat". Rounding out the campaign are one mission each in the P-38, the Beaufighter and the Japanese floatplane known as the Rufe.

Mission #01 Takeoff Practice #1
Mission #02 Takeoff Practice #2
Mission #03 Takeoff Practice #3

Mission #04 Landing Practice #1
Mission #05 Landing Practice #2

Mission #06 Simulated Carrier Landing
Mission #07 Simulated Carrier Takeoff and Landing

Mission #08 Lexington Class Carrier Takeoff
Mission #09 Lexington Class Carrier Takeoff with 3 x 250-pound bombs
Mission #10 Lexington Class Carrier Takeoff with 1 x 1600-pound bomb

Mission #11 Lexington Class Carrier Landing
Mission #12 Lexington Class Carrier Approach and Landing

Mission #13 Escort Carrier Takeoff
Mission #14 Escort Carrier Takeoff with 3 x 250-pound bombs

Mission #15 Escort Carrier Landing
Mission #16 Escort Carrier Approach and Landing

Mission #17 F4F Takeoff, Gunnery and Landing
Mission #18 F4F Takeoff and Landing on Escort Carrier
Mission #19 F4F Dead Reckoning

Mission #20 P-38J and Ground Attack

Mission #21 Beaufighter Torpedo Attack

Mission #22 Rufe takeoff and landing

skarden
03-16-2007, 12:01 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

top work there Zues-cat i only been playing IL-2 for about a year now(still not 100% on landings yet http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif) and some of those missions will definitely help me out a whole bunch,lately i have had the urge to turn everything off and fly full switch but my navigational skills(among other things) are really not up to it and i'v been wondering how to get them up to scratch.

These missions will be a great start i think.I look forward to their release.
cheers mate.

Hartford688
03-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Zeus-cat

Thanks very much for the training tracks.

It is really helping...I generally just "buy the farm" on bad landings, but "straight from the farm" is helping sort me out.

Much fun, thanks again.