PDA

View Full Version : Are tactics important?

Kompan
11-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Currently, I hold a private pilots license in general aviation aircraft. By no means am I an expert on combat manuvers, especially in WW2 aircraft. That out of the way, my questions are these...

How important are combat tactics in PF? Is it a free for all, or should I really listen to the flight leader and stay with him the whole time?

Why do I see bandits in the distance, but my flight seems to find it necessary to head back to the carrier and not engage? We are on CAP right?

Back to tactics. If I cannot out turn the zeros, is it better to dive at them and climb away and try to dive back at them again?

When I am flying a campaign for the Aussies, there are a lot of missions where my base is under attack by bombers and fighters. I am out numbered 5-1 it seems. What is the best tactic to keep myself and flight alive? Should I go after the bombers and ignor the fighters?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is such a great game that I want to have a better understanding of how to increase my odds of survival, and the enjoyability of it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Kevin

Kompan
11-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Currently, I hold a private pilots license in general aviation aircraft. By no means am I an expert on combat manuvers, especially in WW2 aircraft. That out of the way, my questions are these...

How important are combat tactics in PF? Is it a free for all, or should I really listen to the flight leader and stay with him the whole time?

Why do I see bandits in the distance, but my flight seems to find it necessary to head back to the carrier and not engage? We are on CAP right?

Back to tactics. If I cannot out turn the zeros, is it better to dive at them and climb away and try to dive back at them again?

When I am flying a campaign for the Aussies, there are a lot of missions where my base is under attack by bombers and fighters. I am out numbered 5-1 it seems. What is the best tactic to keep myself and flight alive? Should I go after the bombers and ignor the fighters?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is such a great game that I want to have a better understanding of how to increase my odds of survival, and the enjoyability of it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Kevin

SeaFireLIV
11-29-2004, 04:10 PM
You ask a lot, little do you realise how much you ask.

1.Tactics are important if you want to keep your men alive. As leader you have a variety of choices depending on the situation. If you control 2 groups and see bombers and fighters you can have one attack the fighters while you attack the bombers. Always get your wingman to cover you. There`s quite a lot you can do if you check your orders with TAB. Unfortunately, if you are not the leader then your only job is to fight and stay alive. Try to cover anyone in trouble, even if that means leaving a damaged enemy plane. Do your bit to reduce the enmy gaining the advantage. If your flight has the advantage, pick and mix!

2.Are you sure they`re bandits and not other friendlies? If they are bandits it`s possible that the AI doesn`t see them. Perhaps another squad will intercept as it`s your job to keep on cap. If as a wingman I see bogeys I`ll take the intiative and break towards the enemy calling, "Tower, request assistance` or `Help`. This will usually make the closest team doing nothing (your squad) immediately turn to join you. Works well. But make sure you do it before you get too close to the bogeys or you`ll face them alone.

3.Yes, basically, don`t try to outturn zeros. Call wingman to help shake the bogey off too.

4.It`s war. sometimes the situation will not favour you. If you are leader and have 2 groups then order one to attack the fighters while your group attack the bombers, or order EVERYONE to attack the fighters while you alone take on the bombers. You might even decide (for your own preservation) to ignore the bombers and just deal with the fighters, perhaps dealing with the bombers later, but they may get away. -- A lot of it is a judgement call. You may even decide to abandon it and run. Such is the prerogative of rank.

There`s much more, but this will do for now....

ianboys
11-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi Kevin and welcome,

1) You should attempt to stay near your flight, at least in the same area (<5km). That way you can respond to requests for help and also scream for help should you need it. If you are new I would, somewhat perversely, recommend playing as higher ranks to begin with so you have a flight near you and (normally) a wingman to help cover you. Playing as a wingman is actually harder.

2) Combat tactics are important, esp. an appreciation of Dissimilar Air Combat - what are your strength's and weaknesses vis-a-vis an opponent's plane? A Spitfire-Vb flies one way vs a Japanese Oscar but another way entirely vs a Fw-190A, for example.

3) "Why do I see bandits in the distance, but my flight seems to find it necessary to head back to the carrier and not engage? We are on CAP right?" - there are various possibilities. One is that you can see dots at 16km but AI only engages at 10km. Others relate to the fuel, ammunition and damage state ofthe flight lead. Lastly, it is possible that average or rookie flight leaders (not many about) simply don't see the enemy at certain angles.

4) "Back to tactics. If I cannot out turn the zeros, is it better to dive at them and climb away and try to dive back at them again?" Yes, depending on your aircraft.

5) "When I am flying a campaign for the Aussies, there are a lot of missions where my base is under attack by bombers and fighters. I am out numbered 5-1 it seems. What is the best tactic to keep myself and flight alive? Should I go after the bombers and ignor the fighters?" It depends - the fighters are more of a threat to you and you first priority must be your own survival. If you can get enough speed up then a few slashing attacks at bombers might be good - they are larger targets and burn nicely.