PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 Trim doesn't work

rvickers
07-20-2006, 07:37 PM
I created a mission using the IL-2 and I can't trim the ailerons for straight and level flight even though the the keys are configured. For that matter, none of the trims work on the IL-2. I can sit on the ground and using the external view, I can't see any of the trim controls work. Does the IL-2 not have working trim controls, or is it just a cockpit error http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

VW-IceFire
07-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Depending on the IL-2 model there are various options available. The early IL-2s have only elevator trim. The later models have elevator and rudder trim. There is no aileron trim on the IL-2s.

That may have been the case in older versions of the product but it was changed sometime around 4.01m. I suspect its probably due to improved information or programming.

Enforcer572005
07-20-2006, 07:52 PM
it may depend on the type of plane you are flying also. try different types and see if it works. i have trim wheels on my CH F-16 combat stick and they work very well.

Aviar
07-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Actually, none of the IL-2's have rudder trim (4.05).

Aviar

WWMaxGunz
07-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Still he should be using rudder to keep flying straight --or-- fly at the speed, power
and rpm's that give straight flight.

If you don't fly the plane right while not realizing the fact then you will have problems
in a realistic sim. Some will learn and the rest come here and declare there is bugs.

Dew-Claw
07-21-2006, 01:51 AM
He asked a legitimate question.
There are alot of different aircraft and variants in this game.
Anyone is hard pressed to know the in and outs of all of them.

He may just be making sure his hardware isn't giving out on him.

WWMaxGunz
07-21-2006, 05:29 AM
Where did I say him?
Know me this well that I would directly if he is the last part. We have those you know?

But really I did say HE should keep the plane straight with rudder, not aileron trim in
practically all cases. And yes it is a pain with twisty stick... I need pedals too!
This sim has progressed to where good stick and pedals are really the smart way.

Is his hardware giving out? My old stick drove me nuts until I checked it with the
Logicrap profile and found that it would no longer center X-axis. And I thought it was
because of being loose from wear which is why I skipped replacing the pots and bought
something much better. X-52. Maybe some day I'll go clear up to CH Cougar.

Aardvark184
07-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Don't forget that the in-cockpit wheels probably don't move regardless... in case you were wondering. Also make sure realistic flight is enabled... may have something to do with it.

Cheers!
Tim

Chuck_Older
07-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Aardvark184:
Don't forget that the in-cockpit wheels probably don't move regardless... in case you were wondering. Also make sure realistic flight is enabled... may have something to do with it.

Cheers!
Tim

Actually there are many that do actually show in-cockpit trim wheels moving in relation to your trim inputs- but sadly, some do not

rvickers-

there are many Il-2 variants in the sim. Which one is giving you trouble?

rvickers
07-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif On an outside view of the IL-2, I can see what could be contrued as trim controls but after reading the replies I think they're not as they appear to be. Since I'm just learning the game, in fact practicing landings then I need to find another plane to practice with. My limited previous experience is with the MS FS.

Chuck_Older
07-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by rvickers:
Thanks for all the replies. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif On an outside view of the IL-2, I can see what could be contrued as trim controls but after reading the replies I think they're not as they appear to be. Since I'm just learning the game, in fact practicing landings then I need to find another plane to practice with. My limited previous experience is with the MS FS.

FS is a good sim. i wish we had half the detail for actual flight FS uses; I never have to change fuel tanks in this sim http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

On the external model of the Il-2, what you are seeing are very likely trime tabs; however, not all trim tabs are pilot-controlled

Some are set on the ground to produce level flight in a desired range of speeds. The Bf 109s are notable for these tabs. I am not much of a Sturmovik jock but I'd bet you're seeing trim tabs all right- you just can't change them at all.

Someone had mentioned reducing power; this is good advice actually. It's quite likely you need to reduce your overall speed to cruising speed to enable the trim tabs to produce level flight- presumably, this is the mode of flight they were adjusted for

maybe a regular Sturmo driver could add more input. I fly P-40s mostly

rvickers
07-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Chuck_Older, I'm flying the IL-2 (3 series) 1941. I tried a couple of the others but don't remember which ones. Seems that all the IL-2's don't trim which is no big deal now that I know they're not supposed to trim. I still can't land whether they trim or not http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif