PDA

View Full Version : .50cal Brownings seem stronger



VMF-214_Pappy
02-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Its too early to tell but I am happy so far with the damage of the .50cals. I dont know if anything has changed from 4.03 to 4.04, that they hit harder or I can aim better with the new patch but I seem to down planes on first pass now with far fewer rounds connnecting. In past I had to sit behind a plane and hammer him with a good full 1 second burst. And some planes would still fly away just leaking.

I flew a couple of missions I flew in P47d44 and here is my tally.

Mission 1: 288rounds hit. 2 La7's down, 1 Zwilling, and 2 Spitfires.

My experience in past shows me that La7 was very resistant to .50cal brownings in past so downing a couple of them in single flight was delighting.

Mission 2: 54 rounds fired, 1 La7 and 1 Spitfire down.

These kills I was also getting flaming motors, heavy black smoke or some good structural damage, Ie shooting off control surfaces.

In 4.03 It seems I had to land alot more rounds to do damage, and watch a Fw190 D9 fly off with 254 rounds in it with only a fuel leak.

Tell me what You guys think. I know this is not a definitive test but from what i see there improved.

Loki-PF
02-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Pappy,

My [opinion] is that the actual hitting power of the individual rounds hasn't changed.

I think what's going on is that with finally unsynched .50's and less wobbles, I'm actually able to use the .50's like they were used in real life, rather than trying to use them like cannons.

one of the only advantages a HMG armed warbird had was the *volume* (stream) of fire it could produce and the fact that it could carry more ammo for longer total firing time.

This allowed pilots to employ very high angle deflection shooting when smaller more agile aircraft would pull manuevers like the scissors and cross their path.

Before 4.03 this was a futile excersise. Post 4.03 this actually works!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Last night I was flying online in a co-op and used this strategey to great affect. No EAC burst into fireballs or had catastrophic explosions but I clearly saw the "chaff" being knocked off of them as they scissored back and fourth in front of me. These hits resulted in loss of lift, manueverability, and controll surfaces, or engine damage, all of which allowed me to finish them off if they didn't dee dee back to base (some of them tried but crashed subsequently)

All in all I'm enjoying using the .50's like real .50's.

The only thing I think that could still be an issue would be the belting composition (should be more API) like the Lufwaffe fliers had changed a bit ago.

Other than that its a ball!



.

BH-21
02-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Well before you get to excited. Try shooting down Lagg-3s with .50s. Then try strafing vehicles in comparison with a Zero using only its 2 7.7 cowl machineguns. The 2x7.7mm will out perform 8x.50 Cals (12.7mm) on a P-47.

Kuna_
02-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Anyone tried Brownings 12,7 vs. FW-190 so far?

VMF-214_Pappy
02-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Loki-PF:
Pappy,

My [opinion] is that the actual hitting power of the individual rounds hasn't changed.

I think what's going on is that with finally unsynched .50's and less wobbles, I'm actually able to use the .50's like they were used in real life, rather than trying to use them like cannons.

one of the only advantages a HMG armed warbird had was the *volume* (stream) of fire it could produce and the fact that it could carry more ammo for longer total firing time.

This allowed pilots to employ very high angle deflection shooting when smaller more agile aircraft would pull manuevers like the scissors and cross their path.

Before 4.03 this was a futile excersise. Post 4.03 this actually works!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Last night I was flying online in a co-op and used this strategey to great affect. No EAC burst into fireballs or had catastrophic explosions but I clearly saw the "chaff" being knocked off of them as they scissored back and fourth in front of me. These hits resulted in loss of lift, manueverability, and controll surfaces, or engine damage, all of which allowed me to finish them off if they didn't dee dee back to base (some of them tried but crashed subsequently)

All in all I'm enjoying using the .50's like real .50's.

The only thing I think that could still be an issue would be the belting composition (should be more API) like the Lufwaffe fliers had changed a bit ago.

Other than that its a ball!



.

I can agree with that.That is why i posted both theroies. Its one or the other,but so far i am happy.

fordfan25
02-24-2006, 02:19 PM
i just tested th 50's on FWa9's. tested many times. thay have not changed sence 4.03. still shooting rubber bullets but hay at least with 90+ hits on a FW the blues cant yell about learning to shoot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cyrano
02-24-2006, 02:54 PM
When you start seeing a whole bunch of P51's and P47's on some of the more "difficult" servers you know they will have "fixed" those .50's. Until then it's probably all placebo effect and to some degree less wobbles. Last night on WC for a 2 hr stretch I did not notice a single one of these .50 armed planes, not one !
Interesting to see if the great disapearing act continues.

Good Hunting!

VW-IceFire
02-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Cyrano:
When you start seeing a whole bunch of P51's and P47's on some of the more "difficult" servers you know they will have "fixed" those .50's. Until then it's probably all placebo effect and to some degree less wobbles. Last night on WC for a 2 hr stretch I did not notice a single one of these .50 armed planes, not one !
Interesting to see if the great disapearing act continues.

Good Hunting!
Really? I'm always seeing some Mustangs and Thunderbolts floating about on WarClouds and while I'm not on that often one would think that the useage would be fairly consistent.

To be sure the favourite is still the Spitfire for obvious reasons but you have a fair number of Mustang and Thunderbolt jocks and they are pretty darned good at what they do.

HelSqnProtos
02-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Cyrano:
When you start seeing a whole bunch of P51's and P47's on some of the more "difficult" servers you know they will have "fixed" those .50's. Until then it's probably all placebo effect and to some degree less wobbles. Last night on WC for a 2 hr stretch I did not notice a single one of these .50 armed planes, not one !
Interesting to see if the great disapearing act continues.

Good Hunting!

+1 for this post.

The individual .50 bullets needs to be made 15-20 percent stronger for them to be where they need to be imho. Until then you will not see great fighters like the Jug and the Stang on df servers in any quantity whatsoever. Which is a shame as, when utilized properly they can be devasting.

joeap
02-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Kuna_:
Anyone tried Brownings 12,7 vs. FW-190 so far?

Worked for my well offline, blasted the right horizontal stabiliser off one last night.

VMF-214_Pappy
02-24-2006, 03:29 PM
I always fly the JUG in CryClouds. I got to give the LW a chance.

Grey_Mouser67
02-24-2006, 06:10 PM
The HMG's are unchanged...a little easier to hit with which is a good thing.

I wouldn't change a thing with the HMG's other than belt them correctly but I would change the DM on a few aircraft...namely the Fw's and the 109's slightly in terms of PK's. If the DM's of a couple of aircraft were slightly toned down, I think many would be very happy with the HMG's as is...I also would like the ability to light the Betty bomber on fire again...it seems to have grown an asbestos armor lining.

Some other anomolies are the VAL, Kate, Mavis flying boat of death...or more affectionately known as the "death star" amongst allied airmen.

Some of the Soviet planes are still in need of softening, but I don't shoot them with HMG's so I'm not able to comment too much on that.

faustnik
02-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Grey_Mouser67:

Some of the Soviet planes are still in need of softening, but I don't shoot them with HMG's so I'm not able to comment too much on that.

I'm glad you qualified this. Many of the Soivet a/c have incredible resistance to light or heavy machine gun fire. They splinter easiy however, when hit by 20mm fire, so, you can't just "soften" the DMs. Maybe armor values need tweaking???

Kocur_
02-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Many of the Soivet a/c have incredible resistance to light or heavy machine gun fire.

Like Yaks, which still, and we are patches later, have inflammable fuel tanks.

FritzGryphon
02-24-2006, 06:31 PM
have inflammable fuel tanks.

Should say unflammable.

Airmail109
02-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Kiss my arse, I can get kills easily in the MKIII which has 4 x .50 cals, just because it hasnt gone BOOM or set on fire or lost its wings doesnt mean to say that it isnt utterly dead

DaimonSyrius
02-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">have inflammable fuel tanks.

Should say unflammable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nonflammable (http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/nonflammable.html) is even better at leaving no doubts about the meaning. No ambiguity.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Cheers,
S.

VMF-214_Pappy
02-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
Kiss my arse, I can get kills easily in the MKIII which has 4 x .50 cals, just because it hasnt gone BOOM or set on fire or lost its wings doesnt mean to say that it isnt utterly dead

You are a total window licker sir. Nice post buddy, your really getting something accomplished troll.

DaimonSyrius
02-24-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm getting a lockish smell if it keeps going further down that path... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Cheers (do cheer up please)
S.

fordfan25
02-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
Kiss my arse, I can get kills easily in the MKIII which has 4 x .50 cals, just because it hasnt gone BOOM or set on fire or lost its wings doesnt mean to say that it isnt utterly dead

lick my round haires. we know your a blue colored troll no need for you to spam it into our heads http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kocur_
02-25-2006, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Kuna_:
I would say that almost all are in need of softening when MG's are in question. Wait the minute, why not t0ne up the MG's? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Somehow this thread has turned out to be another VVS plane bashing thread. Nice. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Eeeexsqeezme! What bashing? First: flammability of fuel was important part of hmgs effectiveness. Second: Yaks tanks do never burn somehow. Remember 4.01 Fw-190 and excatly the same BUG? Why oh why was Fw-190 bashed then, huh?

Oh, and my dictionary says"
"niepaln|y adi. Fiz., Techn. [materia┼"Üy, w┼"Ü├┬│kno, izolacja] non-(in)flammable"
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif