PDA

View Full Version : Q: Sweetspots of various Russian bombers? (IL-2 Forgotten Battles)

Samu_81
07-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Sorry maybe quite old subject, I tried search and allso advanced one, but didn´t find quite anything like my topic.
I just got Forgotten Battles. I had original IL-2 when it first came out, but then I went to army and while in there, everything kind of seezed. I interested other things etc.

Now I´m back and got Forgotten Battles, but I´m having trouble to get various Russian bombers downed with my Brewster http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Yes, I choosed fighter pilot career at FAF from the very beginning of the Continuation War. Currently on my 12th mission and I´m situated to Malmi. I managed quite well against SB-2s, but now enemy is having more and more DB-3s and just on last mission, there came 6 DB-8s! I was like oh well, how on earth I´ll be able to attack or down one of those with my Brewster´s 4 x 0.5cal mg.. =/

So any hint from more experienced FAF pilots are more than welcome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jarink
07-21-2005, 05:39 PM
-General Bomber Intercept Info-

1. Unless the bomber has no tail gun (or gunner is dead), don't attack from dead behind!
2. The Germans got it right. Attacking from 12 o' clock (level or high) is the best way to attack. Aim for the cockpit.
3. High-deflection beam attacks can be effective, too. Aim for the engines.
4. Good aim points for most 4-engine bombers are the cockpit and outer engines/wing. Shooting up the fuselage is often a waste of ammo, even with cannons.

Samu_81
07-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks! I´ll try those head on -attacks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I just recall, I´ve read many books when I was younger, how FAF pilots engaged VVS bombers, allmost allways from back, first killing the gunner and then aiming various spots, like later on war with Messerschmitts against IL-2s, good spot was where wings are attached to fuselage. (IF I recall correctly?)
Atleast DB-3 and DB-3f had somesort of spots too, especially DB-3f was otherwise way too heavily armoured for even four .50cal what Brewster / Fiat G50 had.

FI-Aflak
07-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Frank's recipe for killing bombers:

1) get above them, 500-1000 meters. Not too high that a dive will shake your airframe apart.

2) dive, straight down, on them. Do it so that when you pull out you'll be going in the same direction as the bombers

3) wait until the engine or the cockpit fills your gunsight. Well, maybe start a little early with the brewster as it doesn't have the punch of a Jug

4) Practice some, but once you get your lead you should be able to score one engine fire per pass at least, and this is enough to make the AI jump out.

5) once past the bomber, pull level and then reclaim your alt advantage. If the bombers have huge amounts of guns, extend a bit first, if your plane looses speed quickly in the level go verticle sooner.

6) repeat 1-5 on the now slightly smaller formation of bombers.

most bombers have very little coverage dead above them, and when you pass into their sides/fronts you'll be going quickly enough that they should have trouble hitting you.

enjoy.