PDA

View Full Version : games questions for a newbie!

Khaert
01-05-2006, 06:18 PM
i was told that these games build on eachother. you can play pasific fighters on its own but its better to have the previous games because youll have more planes and maps to play on .. is this true .. and what do you all think about it?? should i buy all of them or just fighters? thanks...

carguy_
01-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Buy all,and install in the same directory.You will have a whole lot of content.

1.Forgotten Battles.
2.Aces Expansion PAck.
3.Pacific fighters.

You need to merge them in order to be able to play online.

Khaert
01-05-2006, 06:27 PM
thanks for the info .. but please dumb it down for me .. act like your talking to a 3 year old about computer.. all i know about them is i like gaming on them .. anyway .. puting them in the same directior is puting them in the sam folder right?

... your also saying that i dont need Sturmovik... just those 3 right .. thanks again.

blakduk
01-05-2006, 06:30 PM
You are correct- the games do build on each other and with them all installed you have an incredible number of planes and maps to play on.
Consider how much time you have as all the planes are quite different and it would take a lifetime to master them all.
Consider also if you want to play online- different versions of the game are not compatible with each other online. They will require you to have compatible installations with the requisite patches. Check out the requirements the servers have that you want to join.
Consider your budget and shop around- depending on where you are in the world you might be able to pick up the 'Goldpack' which includes Forgotten Battles and the Aces Expansion pack as a single item.
Welcome to the madness http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

danjama
01-05-2006, 06:31 PM
there is an order to install them which "merges" them to same directory.

FB>AEP>PF all combined

carguy_
01-05-2006, 06:32 PM
You don`t need "IL2 Sturmovik".

blakduk
01-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Khaert:
thanks for the info .. but please dumb it down for me .. act like your talking to a 3 year old about computer.. all i know about them is i like gaming on them .. anyway .. puting them in the same directior is puting them in the sam folder right?

... your also saying that i dont need Sturmovik... just those 3 right .. thanks again.
Correct- the original Il2 Sturmovik is not compatible with the other three so you wont need it. These later ones are a vast improvement on it.
Also, dont get too freaked out by the idea that you have to install them all in the same folder. If you install them in the order that danjama described and stick to the default install routine it will do it for you.

Khaert
01-05-2006, 06:37 PM
thanks all... very helpfull!

signed "the new guy"

Skycat_2
01-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Read this thread for a list of all flyables in the trilogy (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/1551063683). It's in backwards order, sorry, written as if you bought Pacific Fighters and then wanted to know what the benefits of adding FB+AEP are.

You can get Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack in a bundled pack titled "Gold Pack." If you have a hard time finding "Gold Pack" (or FB and AEP as separate components), supposedly it will soon be available as a DVD-ROM. There is certainly a DVD-ROM of the whole trilogy in finalization right now (aka "Platinum Pack") so perhaps in a month or so the whole she-bang will be available as an easy-to-install pack complete with all the upgrade patches.

If you decide not to wait, then the information you were given is essentially correct: Pacific Fighters can be installed as a 'stand-alone' game or as the third part of a merged trilogy. If you want to merge PF, however, you'll need to get both Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack and install them in that order followed by PF.

Here is a brief synopsis of what each offers:

Forgotten Battles
This is a rework of "IL-2 Sturmovik" and has the same planes and maps plus more. The original focus of Soviets vs. Germany over the Eastern Front has been expanded to include Finland, Romania and Hungary. There is a wide variety of flyable planes "out of the box"; if you look at my list in the other post for reference:
-- Luftwaffe/Axis = all Bf-109s except the 'z' series; all Fw-190s; all Ju-87s; all He-111s; all Me-262s (I think); Hurricane Mk.I; IAR 80/81; and B-239.
-- Soviet/Allies = BI-1 rocket; all the I-153s; all I-16s (except 'SPB'); all IL-2s; all LaGGs; all La-5s and La-7s (I think); all MiGs; all Yaks; all TB-3 bombers (except SPB); P-39 (Q and N series); P-40 (E,M and field mod); P-47 (D-10, D-22 and D-27); Hurricane Mk.IIb and IIc; and P.11c.

Ace Expansion Pack
This published some additional user-made models for the first time but also includes the content of the previous FB upgrade patches, all together on one CD-ROM. New maps include Normandy and Ardennes maps and a Pacific Online map. New US ground objects like vehicles and tents are also added.
-- U.S./Allied flyables: P-38J/L; P-51B/C; P-51D (-5NT and -20NA); P-63C; YP-80; all Spitfire Mk.Vbs; TB-3 SPB; I-16 SPB; I-185s (in AEP upgrade patch 2.01 or PF merged); and all Spitfire Mk.IXc/e (in AEP upgrade patch 2.01 or PF merged).
-- Luftwaffe/Axis flyables: Bf-109Z; Bf-110G-2; Ta-152H-1; Fiat CR.42; Fiat G.50; Go-229A-1; He-162A-2; J8A; Me-163B-1a; A6M2(?); and all the Ki-84s later included in PF. AEP also adds a 'Mistel' bomb (an explosive-filled Ju-88 airframe) for the flyable Fw-190F-8, and an AI Fiesler V-1 'buzz' bomb.

That's the summarized version of what FB and AEP offers, sans a description of maps, campaigns and AI planes. I may have mixed a few planes up or forgotten some things, but hopefully I've given you a good idea of what each includes as flyable.

Pacific Fighters rehashed many of the Western planes from FB and AEP but it also offers a whole new collection of maps, flyables and campaigns. Many graphic improvements are also added, plus a new FM model for all planes if you 'merge' and patch to v4.02. The most exciting new feature of PF is the ability to land planes on aircraft carriers.