PDA

View Full Version : I was in London yesterday, Im ok, and this is my story!

danjama
07-08-2005, 02:06 PM
I work in London, and this is my story of 7/7/05. I feel that i had to write it in its own thread because i want people to read it, and it will help me to get it out and release some emotions. Let me begin at the beginning. It may be lengthy, so i apologise. It is a story of luck, despair, sorrow and finally, anger!

My day begun at 0800, 45 minutes late. Now, my alarm went off at 0715 as normal but i did not hear it because it was on the floor and the carpet was drowning it out, this is the most significant factor in my whole day. The truth is, when i went to bed it was on my bedside cabinet, when i woke it was not. How it got on the floor i dont know but this has never happened before, i like to think it was my mum watchin over me, i always knew she'd be there!

So i got to my outward station Dagenham Heathway at 0825 over half an hour later than normal. It is exactly one hour to get from liverpool st. station from here, which is where i go to get to work, and as it happens was blown up yesterday morning. If i had woken up on time, i almost definately would have been on the bombed train or on one in a tunnel and stuck. This is why i believe that some1 above was watchin out for me.

I was kicked off ofthe train at West Ham with 500 other people, and rushed to get a bus to work, still in the dark about the attacks taking place. The scene was total panic. People were being crushed on the bus tryin to get to work and this is before any knowledge of terrorism in our city. The reality is, London was the most united place when the news was broadcast, the sound of feet paddin along together signifying the solidarity.

I went from west ham, to stratford, to hackney then to Liverpool St.(near it anyway) all by bus, which took me 3 hours. all this to get to work and by the time i got there i thought sod work, and went into the pub to watch the news updates, only to be greeted with pictures of walls spattered with peoples blood, my peoples blood, fellow londoners just tryin to get to work or to friends. I could of been one of the dead, if only i woke up on time. I with the rest of London was in total fear, afraid to step outside. For once the famous british resiliance lifted and strangers were uniting, conversations of loved ones and friends were ensuing, comforting words that although promising were empty.

Never have i wanted to see my sister more. The fact that we hadnt been speakin for a week made things worse. Even worse than that i never had my phone on me, so everyone thought the worse. I just thought of my sister sittin at home worrying about me, knowing that i leave early and may have been caught in the blasts. Thats when i cried. I hate to think of my only family hurting.

Then i imagined myself being on a train, being bombed!What would i have done? could i have done anything? Never have i felt so afraid, so vulnerable. To think, bombs in my city! Where i work! Where i live! My tears were noticed and lead to fellow londoners calming me down and comforting me. The truth is i was crying for myself, it may sound selfish but i was.

Today has been even more fear ridden. Although trains are back up and i and millions of others rushed to get to work as normal, the atmosphere of friendliness had gone and the resiliance had returned. London had an eery layer settling, and the whole of today was filled with sirens of police and fire trucks and ambulances. Bomb scares are coming every other minute. In every town in fact.

Yesterday i never got home until 2100, and never have i recieved such a warm welcome. I never have loved my sister so much as when i got home. Now we are talking again, but we are in disbelief. What if i was closer and had left earlier. i would of been one of the unfortunate. I feel the deepest, deepest admiration and sympathy for those that have lost friends or relatives, and i will think of them every time i go to work.

As for the terrorists behind this, they should know that they have not stalled london in fact, they barely nudged us, we are still strong. And we will root them out. and their thug friends. I am sorry if this is overly long and badly written but thinkin about yesterday just puts my mind into confusion, so i have said what has come into my head as ive written.

That was my story, well not all of it, but the most important thing is that the world knows we are still strong and we are going to stay strong. Terrorists will regret this. Whether its in 2, 10 or 20 years they will. I hope that they suffer death in the most horrific way for doing this to my countrymen, and for aiming at people like myself, innocents doing what they always do. Stay strong fellow londoners, we may be reserved, but we are united.

SeaNorris
07-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Very strange, like someone knew it was going to happen, so they where looking out for you.

faustnik
07-08-2005, 02:14 PM
We are glad you're OK! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It's very sad about the ones that aren't. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Taylortony
07-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Superbly put................ I can't say anything else, A fellow Brit.

blairgowrie
07-08-2005, 02:31 PM
A truly terrible day. And such a cowardly act.

I just don't understand what they can possibly gain.

Glad you are ok and made it home. Thanks for your words.

F0_Dark_P
07-08-2005, 02:33 PM
i am glad you are ok danjama
you must have had a guardian angel

and as i said earlier to SeaNorris, this is like the begining of WWIII, things like this and 9/11 should not happen, this is stuff for the movies not real life

i really dont know what to say to you, but my condoleanses to you all

arcadeace
07-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by blairgowrie:

Mindless evil can be hard to accept. They hope to intimidate. Hopefully it will backfire€¦ thanks be to Brit resolve.

I€m glad you€re here danjama, and thanks mate.

FI-Aflak
07-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Arcadeace:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blairgowrie:

Mindless evil can be hard to accept. They hope to intimidate. Hopefully it will backfire€¦ thanks be to Brit resolve.

I€m glad you€re here danjama, and thanks mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its evil, sure, but I think its more idiocy. These people (terrorists) think that by killing all these innocents they prove a point/further their ends.

However, what has 9/11, madrid, and these london bombing brought to the homelands and families of these terrorists? Death, destruction, occupation. They haven't accomplished anything positive for their people at all. . . . by their actions they have devistated their "enemy" (the western nations) but they have absolutely destroyed their homelands. Fools.

archie3101
07-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by FI-Aflak:

However, what has 9/11, madrid, and these london bombing brought to the homelands and families of these terrorists? Death, destruction, occupation. They haven't accomplished anything positive for their people at all. . . . by their actions they have devistated their "enemy" (the western nations) but they have absolutely destroyed their homelands. Fools.

that is why all nations must press on, to let them know that there actions will not break us, instead they will bring us together to defeat them

arch

AlmightyTallest
07-08-2005, 11:13 PM
danjama, excellent post, there certainly was someone watching out for you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also,well said everyone. I watched what happened yesterday and it reminded me so much of how I felt on 9/11 here in the U.S.

You guys have the same will to press on and to find those responsible as we do here.

You will succeed and carry on, you are not alone,and they will not win.

Xiolablu3
07-08-2005, 11:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arcadeace:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blairgowrie:

I€m glad you€re here danjama, and thanks mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its evil, sure, but I think its more idiocy. These people (terrorists) think that by killing all these innocents they prove a point/further their ends.

However, what has 9/11, madrid, and these london bombing brought to the homelands and families of these terrorists? Death, destruction, occupation. They haven't accomplished anything positive for their people at all. . . . by their actions they have devistated their "enemy" (the western nations) but they have absolutely destroyed their homelands. Fools. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good point m8.

PBNA-Boosher
07-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Have any of you seen the commercial which claims that:

"On September 11th, Al Quaeda attempted to change the United States forever."

It pictures a few town houses at first. Then it says:

"Well, they did."

And it shows that same block with American flags all over the place.

That would be of good use now, but for Londoners.

Enforcer572005
07-09-2005, 12:27 AM
glad youre ok. if they think they are gonna intimidate teh brits into surrendering, they dont know much about history....napoleon failed, hitler failed, the IRA failed, and these guys will be defeated to.

its gonna be a long war, but youre right, they will die horribly eventually.....just how long and at what cost. hang tuff....you guys always have. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

darkhorizon11
07-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Just wanted to say sorry to everyone hurt in this tragedy. I grew up in the good ol' U.S. and was lucky to only see tragedies like these onTV in countries whose names I couldn't pronounce. Even the war stories my grandfathers and uncles told me seemed like fairy tales, almost unimaginable in the world I grew up in.

In May of 2001 I visited the twin towers for the second and last time, (I've been to NYC a couple times since). Four months later they became smoldering ruin, such a tragedy happened in a place that I had trodden. It sounds dumb but realized that I had seen those buildings and walked around there with my friends. And all that was toast along many visitors like me who probably died that day. It made me feel very human.

I refuse to let terrorism or any of the stuff get to me, to be honest I probably don't take the threat seriously enough. But the point is that I know how you guys feel over there and I am truly sorry. I've can say I've felt that pain and seen it with my own eyes. Its a horrible feeling to be robbed of that security.

My thoughts and prayers are with all our British comrades.

Tvrdi
07-09-2005, 04:46 AM
so, you can only imagine how it was here in Croatia where our towns were under bombs for years....every single day.....death everywhere..thousands..Im so happy that in the Capital city, Zagreb, wher I live, we experienced only one bombing (before that there was a few smaller incidents with jets bombing our parliament and other targets.....Danjama, I just hope the bombings would stop...in London and in any other part of the world.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Slechtvalk
07-09-2005, 05:19 AM
Nice story, glad you are ok and even some good came from such a horrible thing.

But the problem is it are just a few people responsible even I can can place a bomb somewhere and blow some people up and you can kill my family for that but they are innocent aren't they? And you didn't solve this problem, even close by doing that (if you did).

ClnlSandersLite
07-09-2005, 06:48 AM

"Well, they did."

Ironically, that comercial only aired after most of the flags had been taken down. Seems everyone bought them in a fit of faux patriotism, then didn't feel a need to replace them after they wore out. It's true that there are a few more flying now than before, but only maybe a 5% increase in the end.

Of course these are my observations based on my area of the country. It MAY be different in other areas, like the east coast, but I doubt it.

by their actions they have devistated their "enemy"

Let's be realistic shall we? A few thousand dead here and there is not devastation. What we did to berlin was devastation.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
07-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:

"Well, they did."

I appreciate the sentiment Boosher but were British mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif it aint how we do things over here.

(with the exception of football for some reason http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif)

If you mess with us we come round and kick your teeth in we don't wave a bloody flag about.

P.s to the origional poster I am glad you made it home safe and sound and my thoughts are with all those who have been affected by recent events.

T_O_A_D
07-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Erm Balrag We flew are flags and sent out troops to Afganastan and had a 4th of july party mate!

Thats a bit more than kicking a few teeth in.

Also glad we have not heard of any of our small community, loosing anything or anyone so far.

Sorry just the same for those outside of us that did though too.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
07-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Beg pardon SIR I don't think my intention was to imply you did nothing about your own troubles.

I was mearly pointing out that were not one's for waving the flag about we just like to get on with business.

did that not come over clearly ?

Capt.England
07-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:

"Well, they did."

As soon as I have washed my St. Georges flag, and come up with an good slogan to write on it, it will be flying on the front of my house! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

T_O_A_D
07-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
Beg pardon SIR I don't think my intention was to imply you did nothing about your own troubles.

I was mearly pointing out that were not one's for waving the flag about we just like to get on with business.

did that not come over clearly ?

Here let me enlighten you on how we feel about the Flag, and just what it means when us civilians are waving it, for our boys shaking our fist for us. These lirics are from a Toby Keith song released shortly after 9-11

Courtesy Of The Red, White And Blue (The Angry American)

American Girls and American Guys
We€ll always stand up and salute
We€ll always recognize
When we see Old Glory Flying
There€s a lot of men dead
So we can sleep in peace at night
When we lay down our head

My daddy served in the army
Where he lost his right eye
But he flew a flag out in our yard
Until the day that he died
He wanted my mother, my brother, my sister and me
To grow up and live happy
In the land of the free.

Now this nation that I love
Has fallen under attack
A mighty sucker punch came flyin€ in
From somewhere in the back
Soon as we could see clearly
Through our big black eye
Man, we lit up your world
Like the 4th of July

Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shakin€ her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it€s gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringin€ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Blue

Justice will be served
And the battle will rage
This big dog will fight
When you rattle his cage
And you€ll be sorry that you messed with
The U.S. of A.
`Cause we`ll put a boot in your ***
It`s the American way

Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shakin€ her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it€s gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringin€ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White

I positive your Union Jack does the same thing for you over there aswell.

Capt.England
07-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Union Jack, Thats if you want to be P.C. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

As I am English, I fly the St Georges Cross (Red Cross, White background). If I was Scottish it would be the St Andrews Cross (White cross in an x, Blue background), Welsh it would be the Red Dragon (Ddraig Goch)Flag (Red Dragon, top half white, bottom half green).

I'm not trying to knock the good old Union Jack flag, but just love to see the flags of the nations that make up Great Britain flying instead. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
07-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Yes very poetic mate but,

Toad will you please chill out mate I am in no way having a pop at the US or your flag and you of all people should know me better than that. I am more than fully aware of how most Americans feel about their flag and more power you.

I and my fellow Britons are equaly patriotic but I was simply implying that we dont tend to express our patriotism in the manner that Boosher sugested and given that we still don't know who is responsible for these events officialy. Waving the flag and pointing the finger is still some what premature and likely to cause more harm than good.

I assure you once we have assertained who the culprits are they will be assured of swift and appropriate punishment to the fullist of our nations ability.

Now if you wana make this into a bloody big who ha about who can kick who's **** I sujest we PT this asap and keep this thread free of the kinda sh1te that got the other one locked.

Is that ok ?

arcadeace
07-09-2005, 02:37 PM
TehBal I think Boosher€s point did not imply symbolism over substance, although that has been a pathetic consequence with some Americans. Like Toad I understood your response to imply that. If your point was Brits don€t display their flag when taking pride as some Americans do€¦ ok, but what then is your point, m8?

There's not much to differentiat between most Brits and Americans IMHO.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
07-09-2005, 02:46 PM
O just bloody forget it obviously I am speaking in some strange dialect of my own tonight for which there appears to be no direct rational translation.

Clearly I am an idiot

arcadeace
07-09-2005, 02:54 PM
No not an idiot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Frankly I think if the 2 of us caught one of the b@stards it could be smashing fun.

danjama
07-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Thankyou all for your posts, but please dont start rowing eh! London is terrifyin rite now but i have used the tube every day since and will continue to, just like thousands of other londoners, whether they are muslim, christian, hindu, whatever....we are all brits in my eyes. As for this flag wavin business, i have had a flag on my balcony for around 3 years now, i have always been patriotic, that wont change because of anyone. I guess i dont need to get a flag, but the rest of u brits, go get one rite now, if ur english, get a St. Georges like me, if your scottish gfet the St. Andrews etc etc, and again thank you all.

Grue_
07-09-2005, 03:33 PM
I know a lot of people who work in the City and fortunately none were affected by the bombs.

Hitler couldn't do it, neither could the IRA. Wouldn't bet on the latest bunch of idiots succeeding either.

But reading the 'We can take it' headline in 'The Sun' and the way the rest of the media covered the bombings makes me want to puke.

Innocent people being killed by terrorists whilst going to work must be extremely hard to come to terms with for the relatives. Give them strength.

T_O_A_D
07-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
I am speaking in some strange dialect of my own tonight for which there appears to be no direct rational translation.

Clearly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

darkhorizon11
07-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by ClnlSandersLite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have any of you seen the commercial which claims that:

"Well, they did."

Ironically, that comercial only aired after most of the flags had been taken down. Seems everyone bought them in a fit of faux patriotism, then didn't feel a need to replace them after they wore out. It's true that there are a few more flying now than before, but only maybe a 5% increase in the end.

Of course these are my observations based on my area of the country. It MAY be different in other areas, like the east coast, but I doubt it.

by their actions they have devistated their "enemy"

Let's be realistic shall we? A few thousand dead here and there is not devastation. What we did to berlin was devastation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When 9/11 went down I had just started my first semester of college in NH. Naturally, like everywhere else there were flags in front of every house and store front, even many cars. When I drove home on weekends to Rhode Island it was the same deal. I've since transferred to school in North Dakota, in the heart of the conservative Midwest. When it comes to flags its no different now, most have worn out even here unfortunately and haven't been replaced. Its pretty safe to see if its like this here then it probably is everywhere.

Don't start fighting and ruin this thread guys... One already was locked. Take it too a PT.

Fehler
07-10-2005, 01:43 AM
A few days after 9/11, I stopped a guy on the interstate for some minor traffic violation (Cant remember what).

But his statement will forever stick in my mind. He said, "You are a police officer, why dont you have an American flag on your car to show your patriotism?" I flatly looked at him and said, "You mean like the one you have on your foreign car?"

He got this look on his face like, "Hmm, never thought of that..."

Just a little humor to lighten up the thread.

As someone said earlier, no one has been able to break the will of Londoners, not in the past, and certainly not now! My hat is off to you folks, and my heart is out to you!

Lucius_Esox
07-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Hi danjama,
Frightening story m8 indeed. It really makes you realise, that when your number is up, it's up! Very thankfully yours wasn't that awfull day.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
07-10-2005, 12:33 PM
You're not an idiot, Balrog, and I fully understand what you are trying to say.

The British and Americans are alike in many ways but they also differ, IMO, particurlarly in their levels of reservedness (i.e. what is acceptable to show in public) and type(s) of humour.

Balrog isn't having a pop; he's merely saying that when the British feel patriotic, they don't feel the need to express it by waving flags about - they're just as likely to go down the pub and have a talk about it over a pint.

Or, consider a line from a Nick Hornby book where he attempts to describe the way the British think...To paraphrase him, "...if someone is roller skating down the street, some people of the world would think to themselves 'that looks cool' or 'I bet that's a good way to keep fit'. The British, on the other hand, would take one look at them and just think 'w@nker'."

So, there are differences.

Nice to see you are OK, danjama. I know a couple of people who also had near misses in tbe bombings; one of them said they had to step over burnt bodies to get out of those tunnels and it's something that will be with them forever.
For me, that's not something that anyone should be waving flags over.

Ta,
Norris

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
07-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Thank you Norris